Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Chimney breasts in Bedrooms??

Options
  • 16-02-2006 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi, we are looking at buying a house that was built in the 40's. There are chimney breasts in all the bedrooms wgich obv take up space in the rooms. We are wondering if these are removable and what is involved. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Structual engineers field to be honest.Get one in and see what he says.I'd say this is a big job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

dools wrote:
    Hi, we are looking at buying a house that was built in the 40's. There are chimney breasts in all the bedrooms wgich obv take up space in the rooms. We are wondering if these are removable and what is involved. Any ideas?

Hi
    Sorry to tell you but it,s a very big job we did 1 last year in dundrum and man its a job and a half

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Chimney breast removal is a huge job. It is messy, expensive and if not done right it can cause a huge amount of problems in the future. When I was house hunting I saw a couple of houses I really liked but when I realised the chimneys had been removed I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole because the potential for trouble is too big.

So it is worth taking into consideration that even if you do a great job and have no problems it may put off future buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

You could just put fitted wardrobes either side and leave the fireplace as a feature. We have them all over our house.

TV sits to the side of the one in the living room. Lamp on a table to the other side.

Twin beds on either side in upstairs bedroom. Wardrobe and bed on either side in other bedroom.

Never saw them as a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

It is possible to remove the chimney breasts just remember they start at the top of the chimney outside the house.

If it's a case of leaving the chimneys to match the surrounding houses then you are definitely looking at a structural engineer to draw up the specification and sign off on the finished work.

Like most things that are property related sometimes the only question is, how much will it cost ?

As Carpenter posted it's not easy but it can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Tks guys - might give it a miss so...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gor

Don't suppose you've an idea on costs? I'm interested in this also. I had assumed it was just steel to support the chimney from the attic up? Would the chimney breast in someway be supporting the party wall with the next house?

I don't suppose it would be easier if the chimney breast was taken completely out right up to the rooftop from the ground floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi gor,

It is not a good idea to remove the walls below before securing the top section, Ok I know what you meant (I think) :)

I think it would be very hard for anyone to cost a project like you propose without a detailed survey.

There is every chance that your chimney forms a part of your neighbours chimney if they are back to back.

Taking the chimney down to the ground floor may mean installing structural supports for the floor upstairs especially in old houses.

Nothing that enough money can't solve ;)

Advertisement