Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Cablenet Broadband?

• 16-02-2006 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Anyone use any of the Chorus Cablenet Broadband packages below or know if they're actually any good?

Cablenet Broadband Easy
    Speed 512k
    Price €25

Cablenet Broadband
    Speed 1536k
    Price €35

Cablenet Broadband Plus
    Speed 3076k
    Price €45

Thanks,
    Chuck.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That is weird, it looks like they changed the packages again from just a few weeks ago. They were 1m, 2m and 3m, just like NTL. I can't check the website now becuase the crappy Chorus site doesn't work in Firefox :mad:

My friend in Cork got the 3m, and despite some problems at the start (he was only getting 1m, but CS sorted for him) he is very happy with it now.

BTW he is paying only €40 for the 3m, they give you €5 off for the first 9 months and they will also give you another €5 off if you also take their TV service (which isn't required, unlike NTL).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

bk wrote:
    That is weird, it looks like they changed the packages again from just a few weeks ago. They were 1m, 2m and 3m, just like NTL.

Are you sure BK? My memory was 512 always on (unavailable elsewhere)
    1.5 Mb and 3Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Hi all,

I have the 1.5MB chorus BB plugged into my new medion 8800 PC. I'm looking to split the cable and feed the analogue signal into the TV tuner of the PC. What things should I look out for in buying the splitting components so that I dont degrade the BB signal to the PC and affect my BB performance, while still providing a good signal to the PC TV tuner? Is Maplins a good source for the components?

Thanks

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No.

You are best advised to have F-Connector outlet fitted by Chorus.

Note that while Chorus Analog Cable is poor (unacceptible QOS IMO) on a regular TV, it will look terrible on a PC. Analog PC tuner needs a very clean signal. Also PC screen is 60Hz to 85Hz progressive and TV is 25Hz interlaced. Even Digital Satellite direct on PCI card is poorer on PC screen than a real TV screen. Especially bad is sport and horizontally scrolling captions etc. Any horizontal movement is seriously degraded..

IF your PC screen does 100Hz then it can be fairly good, but LCDs are usually fixed internally at 60Hz, which is OK for USA NTSC but terrible for irish/UK tv. My CRT can do 800 x600 @100Hz which looks almost as good as TV and 1600 x 1200 @75Hz which is nearly as good and high enough for lower 1440 x 720p 50Hz HDTV not to baddly. Unfortunately all the HDTV FTA seems to be 1920 x 1080i (25 Hz).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

watty wrote:
    No.

You are best advised to have F-Connector outlet fitted by Chorus.

Note that while Chorus Analog Cable is poor (unacceptible QOS IMO) on a regular TV, it will look terrible on a PC. Analog PC tuner needs a very clean signal. Also PC screen is 60Hz to 85Hz progressive and TV is 25Hz interlaced. Even Digital Satellite direct on PCI card is poorer on PC screen than a real TV screen. Especially bad is sport and horizontally scrolling captions etc. Any horizontal movement is seriously degraded..

IF your PC screen does 100Hz then it can be fairly good, but LCDs are usually fixed internally at 60Hz, which is OK for USA NTSC but terrible for irish/UK tv. My CRT can do 800 x600 @100Hz which looks almost as good as TV and 1600 x 1200 @75Hz which is nearly as good and high enough for lower 1440 x 720p 50Hz HDTV not to baddly. Unfortunately all the HDTV FTA seems to be 1920 x 1080i (25 Hz).

Here are two snapshots for Sky News and BBC1 taken on a VERY clean analogue cable feed (unlike Watty's experiences;) ). The PC Card is a Hauppage Win 2000 card.:)

• Advertisement

Wow that is good. What sortt of screen is it? My laptop has a very good screen and I am thinking about getting a TV card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

They're screenshots taken on the computer, not photographs of the computer screen...

They're screenshots taken on the computer, not photographs of the computer screen...

I know that, I'm curious if it is LCD or CRT or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Thanks for the picture quality warning. Chorus did put an F-Connector outlet for my BB connection. I want to make sure whatever splitter used, it wont affect my BB experience. I was looking to get this

But its related Q&A section says this;
    Q) can this be used to split ntl tv and broadband - Ian
    A) TV yes broadband is unlikely.

Anybody know of a suitable splitter?

Thanks

Mike

Advertisement