Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

unlocking nokia 6680 on three ireland

• 16-02-2006 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

hi there can anyone tell me how to unlock a 3 ireland nokia 6680 phone?

i tried a couple of codes generated by an unlock calculator to no avail..

does anyone know how to unlock this phone?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

dont try any more. i hope you didnt try more than three times because it can't be unlocked by a code again if you did. the only way to unlock a 6680 is to get the code off 3.

trust me on this and don't believe people who say they can do it. i've been looking for a way since august

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Can only be unlocked by the network operator at the moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

hi is it possible to have the phone flashed with the retail version of the firmware rather than the modified three version of firmware?

at the moment i cannot manually select the network mode,, it is stuck on dual mode.... this is a modified firmware for three..

so if i got the phone flashed with the retail version of the firmware that would sort this out?

how would i go about doing this?
    any ideas
    cheers..

you can get it flashed. theres a place in dawson street that does it. that will let you set tyhe network mode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just so you know, a flash will get rid of all the 3 custom stuff, but won't unlock the phone.....I'm sure you already know this but some people expect alot more then what they get :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

You are entitled to your unlock code from your network, or so I was told when I tried to get it unlocked ages ago. Just ask them.
    I believe they should give it to you if you are on a bill and its your phone. You have paid for it and continue to pay via your contract for it. If you change your network they can charge you a diconnection fee for severing your contract and thus recoup the cost of the handset, so why wouldn't they give you the unlock code. They will get the price of the phone in the disconnection fee anyway so I'm sure they are not bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

As a followup to quintron ... O2 gave me my unlock code a week after signing up, before I'd even paid a bill. That's how business should be done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Three are one of the few networks that make it nearly impossible to get your unlock code!!! Believe me I have a Nokia 6680 since August and Ive been trying to get it. They will only do it for a fee of €30 plus you must buy out your contract for the whole 12 months!!! You may aswell buy a un branded and unlocked phone next time your going on hols to a duty free country. If you get the Nokia unlocked you will havwe to de brand it at that place in Dawson Street.

Im just gonna keep my Three phone for when they bring out Threepay and hopefully it will be just network locked and not service locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

That is ridiculus! I'm disappointed to hear that. I believe, though I haven't looked into it, that they should be obligated to give you the unlock code for the reasons I specified above. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they say! Charging an unlock fee for a bill paying customer is just too much.

they are legally entitled to do what they're doing. you have a right to your unlock code but because they heavily subsidised the cost of the phone they can make you buy out your contract and pay a fee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

you can get it flashed. theres a place in dawson street that does it. that will let you set tyhe network mode

They will only flash it with the Network Providers Software and not the generic sim free firmware...

Wolfman can flash this but again will be sim locked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

i phoned three today, having spoken to them yesterday, and they promised to ring me back , and never did, they still say that they dont have the unlock codes for the 6680.. i asked them to give me a date for when they would have the codes but they said the dont know.!! i asked them back in early april and now in june they still dont know?

seems a little strange. this network locking stuff, is stupid... anyways you can get a factory sim free n70 a small bit more expensive than an equivelent network locked n70 , on bill pay...

if you want to buy a phone, go buy a factory sim free phone, i bought a new nokia 3g fone factory unlocked, cheaper than you could buy the same model on prepaid from any irish operator!

then you can do as you wish with you phone or network mode, voda dont mind you using your sim in a different fone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dude i got a 6680 locked to 3uk network and they give the same BS to ppl in the uk there about not having the codes but nokia confirmed via the web that the network operators DO have the codes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Apparently the network operators are given a piece of hardware to generate the unlock codes but Nokia is slow at sending them out. There is a rumour that the algorithm for generating the unlock codes have been cracked but the guy that did it is getting his money's worth first before releasing it for free.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

feylya wrote:
    Apparently the network operators are given a piece of hardware to generate the unlock codes but Nokia is slow at sending them out. There is a rumour that the algorithm for generating the unlock codes have been cracked but the guy that did it is getting his money's worth first before releasing it for free.

Yeah but will it work with BB5 fones is the question! :confused:

Yes... The DCT4 calculators are all over the internet already.

google "unlock nokia 6680" and you will see no one has cracked it yet!

Google it some more and you will see the rumour of which I speak.

feylya wrote:
    Google it some more and you will see the rumour of which I speak.

post a link please? Dude if that guy cracks it he will be an overnight millionaire.

It's supposed to have been done by a bloke called Dejan Kaljevic but I can't find a link at the mo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement