Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got NTL 3mb and I'm wondering...

• 16-02-2006 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just got the NTL 3mb cable connection today. Everything is working fine and so far (only hours) I can't fault it.

But I'm wondering...
    1. I have the NTL:250 cable modem, it seems to have basically no configuration options, am I missing something?
    2. I was using a Linksys VPN box bridging to my old Esat-BT box can this be done using the NTL:250.
    3. How is the firmware upgraded?
    4. Should I/Can I replace it with a different cable modem?
    5. I sent a test mail to myself and it took 5mins to come back. Is that normal?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

1. No, all config is done by NTL
    2. not sure
    3. See 1.
    4. No, the MAC address has to be registered.
    5. It could be your mail set up. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Sorry for hijacking your thread for a bit ,but maybe you yuorself will know the answer to this.

You know the way they will install two access points .Do they give you two modems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Well I had my old one into a small hub but don't know if that will work with the NTL box. As I said above it has no config options.

paulm17781. What about routers in which you can enter a Mac address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dougals Daddy

meglome wrote:
    Well I had my old one into a small hub but don't know if that will work with the NTL box. As I said above it has no config options.

The NTL modems are controlled from base by their mac address ids.
    Your NTL modem must be used to connect to the cable, no other modem is accepted.Where you send it when it comes out the other end is up to you. I used a Linksys Wireless Broadband router when I had NTL which worked a treat. No settings necessary just put it on auto config.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

meglome wrote:

I have no idea. If you clone the MAC I suppose it would work. A much easier solution is connect it to a router.

I have NTL -> Linksys WRT54GP2 -> x-box/pc/laptop.

Works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

You won't ever need to change anything on the NTL modem, you're not missing anything. It's pretty much all controlled from their side.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You know the way they will install two access points .Do they give you two modems?

I'm not sure what you are asking. NTL will only give you one modem.

Do you mean two NTL cable points? One for the TV and the other for the cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I have it setup.

Set it up automatic dhcp. Go to mac address, click on clone address. Wallah! Completo.

Advertisement