Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Team of the Season (so far)

• 16-02-2006 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭

See it here

Few surprises in there, notably Marlon Harewood ranked higher than Thierry Henry and Wayne Rooney!

Strong West Ham influence on the side with 3 current players and 3 more who spent their formative years at Upton Park.

What think ye?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

good to see Anton in the team,but was a bit surprised Rio got in. Harewood has been on fire, Henry was injured for a while so maybe the reason Harewood got in over him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I cant help but look at the team and say "who the **** is rating them?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

good to see Anton in the team,but was a bit surprised Rio got in. Harewood has been on fire, Henry was injured for a while so maybe the reason Harewood got in over him

Rio has banged in a few goals so that means he earns alot of points for those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

Davei141 wrote:

It's the Actim Index's Team of the Season, the team represents the best players in all positions using stats from every game played this season.

The Actim Index is compiled on behalf of the Premier League and represents players from all 20 clubs. It take statistics from every area of the game including goals, shots on target, corners, fouls, offsides, passes, tackles, blocks and clearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Have to say id actually go along with it. Looks accurate to me.

Some saying Harewood above Henry? Not noticed how brutal Thiery has been the past few weeks? Yeah your truely world class banging 2 and 3 past west brom but when you have to look to see if you were even on the pitch against liverpool he doesn't deserve to be there.

Also Rooney, have to say, i think the man is pure class but i have been a touch, how shall we say underwhelmed by him this season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Seems fairly spot on, not 100% sure about Rio, bar the goals maybe. 1/2 of Chelsea would be accurate, RVN up front without a doubt even though some try to say he is not the same! Harwood, strange one but exciting to watch in fairness, who else is there Defoe maybe, Henry disappears in the big games, no one else worth mentioning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

if Rio gets in for scoring goals then stick him up front. IMO he's the most over-rated, over-paid player in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

while were talking baout players of the season, i think bullard at wigan must get a mention. he will never win player of the season but he works so damn hard. pours his guts into every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Petr Cech is overrated in my opinion, hes made quite a few mistakes that directly cost goals this season, he just doesn't get exposed much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Morten Gamst Pedersen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dannyd20 wrote:
    It's the Actim Index's Team of the Season, the team represents the best players in all positions using stats from every game played this season.

The Actim Index is compiled on behalf of the Premier League and represents players from all 20 clubs. It take statistics from every area of the game including goals, shots on target, corners, fouls, offsides, passes, tackles, blocks and clearances.

Fantasy Premier league is done on the same site using the same actim stats, yet cech is fifth best gk in th eleague. How is he in the team of the season?

Plus the top 4defenders (in order of 1-4) are Finnan, Terry, Gallas, Carragher.
    Midfiekders are Lampard, Gamst Pederson, Gerrard, Barton
    Strikers are Van Nistlerooy and Henry.

Stekelly wrote:
    Fantasy Premier league is done on the same site using the same actim stats, yet cech is fifth best gk in th eleague. How is he in the team of the season?

wrong, wrong and wrong kelly.

Fantasy Scoring

During the season, the fantasy football players will be allocated a point score after each game, based on their performances in the matches. Only official Barclays Premiership games are included.

The Points will be calculated using data provided to us by the Press Association. Neither we nor the Press Association will enter into any correspondence relating to the allocation of points to players. We accept no responsibility for the accuracy of this data.

The top three players in each game according to the Actim Index will receive bonus points. Three bonus points will be awarded to the highest ranked player, two points to the second and a single point to the third. These points will be credited within 48 hours of the last match of the Gameweek.

Actim Index
    is the official player rating system of the Barclays Premiership.

PA Sport gathers match data for every Barclays Premiership, Coca-Cola Football League and Bank of Scotland Premiership game. The data is gathered by two methods - real-time match analysis and the study of video footage. The real-time analysis is conducted by ex-professional footballers who report on action at the grounds as it happens. More detailed analysis is obtained by studying videos of the matches.

Complex mathematical formulae were devised to calculate the value of each player's contribution, match by match. In simple terms, the Actim Index comprises four calculations:
    Calculation 1 - Assesses a player's contribution to a winning team, based on points won by the team when he appeared.
    Calculation 2 - Assesses a player's performance in each game, by allocating points for actions that positively contribute to a winning performance such as shots, tackles, clearances and saves. It also takes points away from players for negative actions such as yellow/red cards and shots off target.
    Calculation 3 - Allocates points based on time of the pitch.
    Calculation 4 - Allocates points for goal scorers.

Sorry for the cut and paste jobby but if you (Stekelly) can't be bothered reading linkage then there's not much point in linking again but just in case - here and here

So according to Actim the team of the season so far is like I said earlier

dannyd20 wrote:
    wrong, wrong and wrong kelly.

Fantasy Scoring

During the season, the fantasy football players will be allocated a point score after each game, based on their performances in the matches. Only official Barclays Premiership games are included.

The Points will be calculated using data provided to us by the Press Association. Neither we nor the Press Association will enter into any correspondence relating to the allocation of points to players. We accept no responsibility for the accuracy of this data.

The top three players in each game according to the Actim Index will receive bonus points. Three bonus points will be awarded to the highest ranked player, two points to the second and a single point to the third. These points will be credited within 48 hours of the last match of the Gameweek.

Actim Index
    is the official player rating system of the Barclays Premiership.

PA Sport gathers match data for every Barclays Premiership, Coca-Cola Football League and Bank of Scotland Premiership game. The data is gathered by two methods - real-time match analysis and the study of video footage. The real-time analysis is conducted by ex-professional footballers who report on action at the grounds as it happens. More detailed analysis is obtained by studying videos of the matches.

Complex mathematical formulae were devised to calculate the value of each player's contribution, match by match. In simple terms, the Actim Index comprises four calculations:
    Calculation 1 - Assesses a player's contribution to a winning team, based on points won by the team when he appeared.
    Calculation 2 - Assesses a player's performance in each game, by allocating points for actions that positively contribute to a winning performance such as shots, tackles, clearances and saves. It also takes points away from players for negative actions such as yellow/red cards and shots off target.
    Calculation 3 - Allocates points based on time of the pitch.
    Calculation 4 - Allocates points for goal scorers.

Sorry for the cut and paste jobby but if you (Stekelly) can't be bothered reading linkage then there's not much point in linking again but just in case - here and here

So according to Actim the team of the season so far is like I said earlier

Listen smartass. If you want to go whining about people not readign things, look no further than your (not so ) good self. If you care to open your eyes you will see one of these ? after my question (see the dictionary for the difference between a question and a statement. Also see someone with some cop on and a working brain as with regard to the fact that I was questioning actim/the premierleague and not your post.

Stekelly wrote:
    Fantasy Premier league is done on the same site using the same actim stats, yet cech is fifth best gk in th eleague.
    statement (incorrect)
    Stekelly wrote:
    How is he in the team of the season?
    question (answered)
    Stekelly wrote:

wrong

dannyd20 wrote:
    statement (incorrect)

It would be , because you split it from the part that had the question mark.
    dannyd20 wrote:
    question (answered)
    See above

dannyd20 wrote:
    wrong

I'm going to assume if I link to it you'll be directed to the main page , so go to http://fantasy.premierleague.com/M/login.mc?NextPage=/M/transfers.mc
    , login if your registered, click "transfers" and look at the shortlist to the right.It lists the top 8 gk's the top 8 def's , the top 9 mid's and the top 15 att's. If you assume a 4-4-2 (Plus the gk obviously) then the 11 players I listed are the best in the league.

EDIT. Screw it, I'll post the players and their points.

Goalkeepers
    Van der Sar MU 6.0 110
    Lehmann AR 5.7 108
    Reina LI 6.1 107
    Robinson TH 5.8 107
    Cech CH 6.6 103
    Jaaskelainen BW 5.0 99
    Friedel BR 4.7 96
    Given NU 4.8 91

Defenders
    Finnan LI 7.1 123
    Terry CH 8.8 121
    Gallas CH 7.8 120
    Carragher LI 7.0 117
    Hyypia LI 6.9 117
    Ferdinand MU 7.3 109
    Del Horno CH 7.5 99
    Chimbonda WI 5.6 98

Midfielders
    Lampard CH 12.2 167
    Gamst Pedersen BR 8.9 124
    Gerrard LI 10.1 123
    Barton MC 7.4 106
    Nolan BW 7.4 104
    Giannakopoulos BW 7.0 101
    Cole J CH 9.0 97
    Etherington WH 6.6 96
    Alonso LI 8.2 91

Forwards
    van Nistelrooy MU 13.0 165
    Henry AR 14.2 133
    Bent D CA 8.7 130
    Rooney MU 11.1 126
    Yakubu MI 9.9 123
    Vassell MC 8.0 117
    Harewood WH 7.2 115
    McBride FU 7.1 112
    Cole MC 7.9 108
    Mido TH 7.4 97
    Roberts WI 7.1 96
    Keane TH 8.6 95
    Drogba CH 10.0 93
    Camara WI 7.0 91
    Defoe TH 9.1 90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Davei141 wrote:

Indeed 6 West Ham or former West Ham players does look a little odd. Maybe they got Trevor Brooking to do it.;)

N

Stekelly wrote:
    It would be , because you split it from the part that had the question mark.

No that's what a full stop is for.

You're talking about fantasy points and I was referring to the Actim index. Now I know that they're both listed on the same website but that doesn't mean that they're the same thing.

Listen mate, I really don't want to continue this. So let's just let it end here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The biggest weakness in the selection is the inclusion of Anton Ferdinand at full back, when he's played mostly at centre back and even the comment about him on that site is "...a series of classy performances at the heart of the Hammers defence".

I wonder who the next best (according to the stats) full back is?

The best right-footed full-back is Pascal Chimbonda of Wigan Athletic with Steve Finnan next.

Interesting to note that the top rated left-footed full-back is Paul Konchesky of West Ham.

Oh and Jimmy Bullard is ranked as the 19th best player overall in the Premiership.

All according to Actim stats of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

How come Darren Bent hasnt got a mention in this team. He has been consistently scoring goals for what is a distinctly average Charlton side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement