Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Show

Options
  • 16-02-2006 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone else see this last night at about ten past 12? huge flash of lightening (and i didn't hear any thunder???) and all the lights in Galway went out then came back on Disco style!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

I didnt see or hear any lightning but it was forecasted and the lights went dim everywhere. Reminds me that we need candles and I need to start practicing my 'hobby' with a blindfold on in case it happens again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Sheety night-vision on my phone precluded me from capturing the disco inferno in the apartment block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

I wonder did the nightclubs close and send disgruntled customers onto the streets? That would be a tricky one for the gardai to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

A few friends were out lastnight and they did not send anyone home. The power was only down for about 30min.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ours were flashing on and off, so i danced....
    also when they came back, they weren't as bright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

im my room they went really bright then dimmed then bright again and then out for a few seconds.

They came back on and after that there was no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

did it fry anyone else's NTL?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not mine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

When the lightning happened, my lights dimmed for a sec, then back, then dimmed again and stay dim all night, but was back to it's bright self this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

danniemcq wrote:
    did it fry anyone else's NTL?

Surge protector tbh

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

hospital lost power for about 2 mins before the generator kicked in, and thats pretty rare!! (thank God!)

fun bus wrote:
    hospital lost power for about 2 mins before the generator kicked in, and thats pretty rare!! (thank God!)

Merlin or UCHG? There shouldn't have been ANY outage in the hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Had a mini disco in my room. Was fun until my pc shut down and wouldn't turn back on again...thank god a bit of messing around got it back up again. Scary moment.

Street lights went dim then slowly shut off one by one around here too (knocknacarra area), looked quite eery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

try it with raid0 and a suspected dodgey disk :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

JohnCleary wrote:
    Merlin or UCHG? There shouldn't have been ANY outage in the hospital

uchg. just lasted two mins before generator kicked in. pretty sure it didnt go in icu. definately didnt knock off on every ward anyway-they handled it v. quickly

fun bus wrote:
    uchg. just lasted two mins before generator kicked in. pretty sure it didnt go in icu. definately didnt knock off on every ward anyway-they handled it v. quickly

ICU and Theatre's run on UPS's to allow for the downtime between mains and generator kick-in.

Poor Supermacs across the road would also have been without power for the 2 minutes, they're also on the hospital generator :)

Advertisement