Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gonna go to a dermatologist...

• 16-02-2006 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice and maybe some feedback from people that have been in a similar situation to me...

I've been taking vibramycin tablets since I was about 14 (I'm just going on 20 now). Needless to say my acne would have been ALOT worse if I wasn't on them. There are the odd days where my face would be spot free but I'm just getting a little fed up because I still get breakouts on my face (maybe just a couple of spots here and there around the neck and forehead).

I have never had one day where I was able to look at my back and be happy. Although I don't have those horrible huge puss filled pimples that some people with acne on their back would have I still have alot of small ones. Another thing is, I have a fairly fair complexion so spots that are healing or nearly gone still leave a red mark which in turn makes the new spots look worse. I don't think these red marks will be permanant though (hopefully).

I have tried eating healthy, changing my bed sheets regularly, everything really. None of it has gotten rid of my acne.

So I'm heading in to a clinic on 16 Dame street tomorrow to see a dermatologist. Don't know the name of the clinic it was just recommended by my GP. Anyone know of it?
    Has anyone had the same level of acne as me and had it successfully treated?
    Would something like roaccutane be prescribed to a case like mine?
    Was you acne completely banished after the treatment?

-Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

if its bad enough he'll put you on Roacutane.
    I was on that and it worked well. i have few spots now. for the last 2 years i was completely spot free. Its a terrible drug though. It DOES things to you that you wont believe. Be careful if you're on it. Depression is your only friend if you are like me.

The clinic i think is auralia and i cant recommend them enough. An excellent doctor salman works there. Very nice guy and if you have keloids then he can treat them too

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭REDZ

I think that rouacataine is the only reason people go to demotologists, as your GP can't prescribe it. its a bit rough on your skin (and your mind some say), but it worked for me. the course is generally six months and in total probably costs €1000 what with all the visits to the demotologist and it was €60 a month for the pills when i got them, about 9 years ago.

So basically the only reason a person would go to a dermatologist is because they are the only people that can prescribe roaccutane?

The guy I'm going to 'only' charges €45 for a consultation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Spotty lad wrote:
    Just looking for some advice and maybe some feedback from people that have been in a similar situation to me...

I've been taking vibramycin tablets since I was about 14 (I'm just going on 20 now). Needless to say my acne would have been ALOT worse if I wasn't on them. There are the odd days where my face would be spot free but I'm just getting a little fed up because I still get breakouts on my face (maybe just a couple of spots here and there around the neck and forehead).

I have never had one day where I was able to look at my back and be happy. Although I don't have those horrible huge puss filled pimples that some people with acne on their back would have I still have alot of small ones. Another thing is, I have a fairly fair complexion so spots that are healing or nearly gone still leave a red mark which in turn makes the new spots look worse. I don't think these red marks will be permanant though (hopefully).

I have tried eating healthy, changing my bed sheets regularly, everything really. None of it has gotten rid of my acne.

So I'm heading in to a clinic on 16 Dame street tomorrow to see a dermatologist. Don't know the name of the clinic it was just recommended by my GP. Anyone know of it?
    Has anyone had the same level of acne as me and had it successfully treated?
    Would something like roaccutane be prescribed to a case like mine?
    Was you acne completely banished after the treatment?

-Thanks!
    I was about 20 also before my acne cleared up...had it about 6yrs like yourself...no matter what you eat will clear it...

I think I changed soap at that age and it accelerated the clearing of them to a plain non-fragranced one like Simple.

Went to that medical centre on dame street today. The doctor said I should go on Roacutane and the imrpession I got from him was that I really shouldn't have been on Vibramycin for the last 6 years if it wasn't clearing it up completely.
    So I'm just waiting for my blood tests to be ok'd.

Hopefully all goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Spotty lad wrote:
    Went to that medical centre on dame street today. The doctor said I should go on Roacutane

So I'm just waiting for my blood tests to be ok'd.

Hopefully all goes well.

Roaccutane will sort you out. I worked for me, its great stuff. Good on yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Just be wary that roaccutaine can make you depressed.

* Dry lips
    * Very dry skin
    * Your skin will get a hell of alot worse before it gets better,i ruined my skin by taking roaccutane. Also be wary of scarring.
    * Your skin will become very sensitve to sunlight.

If you experience any changes while taking roaccutane, consult your dermotologist asap.

It works for most people but it didnt work for me:confused:

Finally best of luck with the treatment.

galwaydude wrote:
    Just be wary that roaccutaine can make you depressed.
    * Your skin will become very sensitve to sunlight.

It's either burn or stay pale with me anyway :p

My cousin was on it and had horrible spots on his back that would bleed...all gone since he was on the stuff.
    Another cousin of mine is currently on it...don't know how he's gettin' on with it though.

I swear, the genes in my family are just great aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 McGyver

Hi,

My acne cleared up a few years ago...but I used Sudocream quiter a bit and it worked a treat!

I found the following pages interesting:
    http://www.acnefacts.net/causes_of_acne.html
    &
    http://www.acnefacts.net/acne_treatment.html

I hope this helps,

McGyver

McGyver wrote:
    Hi,

My acne cleared up a few years ago...but I used Sudocream quiter a bit and it worked a treat!

I found the following pages interesting:
    http://www.acnefacts.net/causes_of_acne.html
    &
    http://www.acnefacts.net/acne_treatment.html

I hope this helps,

McGyver

To be honest with you, I'm really tired of having to treat my skin like it's a new born baby. I eat healthy, drink alot of water, shave my face as carefully and as gently as someone who was shaving their scrotum... basically, I treat my body and skin well.

I really am just sick of having to be THIS careful with everything, which is why I wanna get this treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Was in my mid 20's before my acne totally cleared up, i thought it never ever would and at this time of year my face was a total red spotty mess:(

OP don't be too disparaged, its bloody hard when your face is full of spots but they WILL go and never return in a few years (or sooner if you are lucky), be thankfull you are nearer the end of it than the start :)

On a positive note, some of the total MILF's I know were spotty as hell in their teens and early 20's, oh boy did their b/f's hit the jackpot by sticking by them ;)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement