Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

average size.

• 16-02-2006 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

ok this is an annomyous poll for women, basically i am just curious about what (clothe) size most irish women are...

what size are you?? 120 votes

6-8
    0% 0 votes
    10-12
    25% 30 votes
    14-16
    51% 62 votes
    18-20
    18% 22 votes
    22-24
    2% 3 votes
    >24
    2% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

what about the in betweenies?
    im more an 8-10 myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Seraphina wrote:
    was gonna put in 6-8, 8-10, 10-12 and so on but thought people might get confused.. its more like if your a size 8 hit the 6-8, if your a size 10 hit the 10-12.. you get me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Seraphina wrote:

That's the same with me! I chose 10-12 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i'm a 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Dont mean to be mean but ive never even seen a size 24 before!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

~Leanne~ wrote:

8-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

~Leanne~ wrote:

well then where have u been?? ive seen sizes up to a 32

oh and im a 20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Youd think once you hit size 24+ youd just give up and start wearing moomoos wouldnt ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

OK, let's not have this turn into an anti-fat/skinny people thread, y'all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Intresting thread!Apparently the average size for Irish women is 14-16 but whereevr I look every one looks size 10-12 easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Well I suppose the older you get, the more likely you are to be heavier. It's easy for us youngsters to burn off the calories.
    I haven't exercised in literally years and eat as much as I want (granted it's healthy food I'm eating, generally) and I am thin enough (10 - 12).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Having worked in womenswear in a clothes store for the past nine months I'd say the average size would be 10 - 12. Its the sizes that I've noticed get bought the most anyway.
    Had a woman come in recently asking for jeans that would make her legs look fatter, I was speechless! She was a size 5 iirc and its very rare we'd get someone that size in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was at CTYI with someone who was a size 4... she used to have to take in size 6 jeans. :eek:

Me... size 14-16ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

twelve trousers/skirts
    occasionally though its 14 for some tops

i'm a size 6 or 8 (cant get size 6 in most places)... do have a pair of size 6 jeans that are a bit baggy though!..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

rb_ie wrote:
    Having worked in womenswear in a clothes store for the past nine months I'd say the average size would be 10 - 12. Its the sizes that I've noticed get bought the most anyway.

yeah 10s and 12s are our bestsellers in the place i work too, the next being a14 usually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i AM A 12/14 MYSELF, 12 ON THE BOTTOM AND 14 ON TOP IN SOME TOPS COS OF MY GIGANTIC BOOBIES:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Scraggs wrote:
    yeah 10s and 12s are our bestsellers in the place i work too, the next being a14 usually

is that because there is no 13 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

it depends on the make of the clothing really

sometimes i'd fit into an 8 and then other times i'd need a 14

but the average size i wear is 10-12

my friend is a size 6 and she can never find good fitting jeans anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Sarge wrote:
    is that because there is no 13 ?
    Pepe Jeans and H&M do a size 13! My hips are just a tiny but too big for a size 12 and 14 looks really bad on me as it's huge on me. 13 is almost perfect on me. I'm a normal 12 on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

LadyLotts wrote:
    Pepe Jeans and H&M do a size 13! My hips are just a tiny but too big for a size 12 and 14 looks really bad on me as it's huge on me. 13 is almost perfect on me. I'm a normal 12 on top.

I have the exact same problem but with a 10 and 12. I need an 11.
    For some reason, they make trousers with the waist too small or too big. Women have hips! Do clothes manufacturers think we're all boy-shaped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

LadyLotts wrote:
    My hips are just a tiny but too big for a size 12 and 14 looks really bad on me as it's huge on me. 13 is almost perfect on me. I'm a normal 12 on top.
    Snap!!
    I have a smaller waist than thighs, so if i buy 14s there really loose at the waist, but 12s are too tight but waist wise perfect. I have found some jeans in New Look and Next, size 12s that fitted me perfectly, so i guess it does depend on the brand. 12 on top also

I chose 14-16 but 12-14 (small 14, big 12) is more accurate.

Aporia wrote:
    my friend is a size 6 and she can never find good fitting jeans anywhere
    thats the same as me.. hy do hardly any shops stock size 6 clothes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

im an 8 in most shops-i have the jeans problem too, if the hips fit the waist will be huge! so only low rise jeans ever reallly fit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 DubGal

I'm usually 10-12, 12 if I want it slightly baggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭*Lolly*

Can i just say how hard it is to find size 6-8 in ireland theese days?

Back home in england you could get any piece of clothing in that size.

Some people complain that they are way to big and have to buy large sizes - some people just dont understand how hard it is for us ''small size'' gyal's.
    We get all the crap too - like people comin up to you at college/the shops telling you how skinny and bony you look and how ''cold you must be''.!
    Tis not easy to stand there and take it as a compliment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

I'm a 10/12 depending on type of clothes and what shop they're bought in.

Back in secondary school I knew a girl who had to get her school skirt made especially for her to wear because she was so thin.

:eek: I used to have to get mine altered as size 6/8's were extremely short aginst me.

*Lolly* wrote:
    Some people complain that they are way to big and have to buy large sizes - some people just dont understand how hard it is for us ''small size'' gyal's.
    We get all the crap too - like people comin up to you at college/the shops telling you how skinny and bony you look and how ''cold you must be''.!
    Tis not easy to stand there and take it as a compliment
    i know.. why do people think there paying you a compliment whe they say, "oh my god, you are so skinny.." in a shocked tone of voice..??

• Advertisement

i AM A 12/14 MYSELF, 12 ON THE BOTTOM AND 14 ON TOP IN SOME TOPS COS OF MY GIGANTIC BOOBIES:D
    me too:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

me too:D :D

Well hello ;) lol

PlayGirl wrote:
    i know.. why do people think there paying you a compliment whe they say, "oh my god, you are so skinny.." in a shocked tone of voice..??

Lol god i wish i knew why!! they tink jabbin u in the ribs is a form of apreciation! lol my ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭madbabe(",)

i have a really hourglass figure its the whole 20-10-20 thing! so i'm a size 10-12 in trousers because i've really wide hips (which i hate) and a size 8-10-12 in tops! please dont complain about being a size 6 i wouldn't care if nothing fitted me if i was that thin ye are so lucky ye just dont realise it! i have to constantly watch what i eat because i put on weight so quickly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

How many women say they are size 6-8 but in actual fact are size 18-20?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

i have a really hourglass figure its the whole 20-10-20 thing! so i'm a size 10-12 in trousers because i've really wide hips (which i hate) and a size 8-10-12 in tops! please dont complain about being a size 6 i wouldn't care if nothing fitted me if i was that thin ye are so lucky ye just dont realise it! i have to constantly watch what i eat because i put on weight so quickly!!
    im a 12-14 but dont actually put on weight,it stays constant whatever i eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

im an eight on top, an eight in a dress but prob a ten in trousers but it all depends on the shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

10/12.. if i have to buy a shirt I buy a 12/14 sometimes, boobie problem there. I get the untidy looking gap, ya know the one - onlookers can see the sides of the girls :v: Hate having to do that though, it then makes my waist look bigger because its baggy round the middle then :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Binomate wrote:
    How many women say they are size 6-8 but in actual fact are size 18-20?

Well considering theres a good 12 inches(waist alone) the difference I'd say it'd be fairly noticable should a woman say shes a 6 when shes really a 18. So I'd say very few women who are size 18 say they're size 6.
    I get the untidy looking gap, ya know the one - onlookers can see the sides of the girls :v:
    Oh what a problem you poor thing. :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

welll.... who's to say that online we might claim to be smaller? (i might sometimes shave off a dress size or two for the ppl online.... still not small by any stretch of the imagination)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I remember when I was a size 8! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Nephertiti

8-10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

please dont complain about being a size 6 i wouldn't care if nothing fitted me if i was that thin ye are so lucky ye just dont realise it!

( firstly a size 10 is thin)

there are specific shops for larger women, there are none for thin people. Im a size 6 or 8 and sometimes its really hard to get clothes to fit. just because a person is thin does not mean they look good in everything. you would care if nothing fitted you. trust me. its a nightmare going shopping when few places do a size 6.

Thin people hate being called skinny just as much as bigger people hate being called fat. if an overweight person calls me skinny. i call them fat.

Sorry for the rant, just dont get to say that often... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I always heard that sizes are gradually getting bigger, which makes sense. i.e. a size 16 in the 1960's is now a 14 or even 12. Reason being if you fit in, say levis jeans, that are say size 10 but all other brands that fit have to be size 12 and the same size then you may subconciously or conciously go for the levis since you like to think you are still a size 10. Then all the other makes follow suit, then one drops the bar again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Marks+Spencer announced a year or two ago that they'd changed the measurements of their seizes to make them all bigger.

People assume that the opposite to their problem isn't a problem, e.g. clothes are too big/small for me, if only I was the opposite! 'I'm one of those people God didn't give hips to, so boy-shaped clothes suits me fine, except that they're nearly always too short!! Although by no means underwight, I need an 8/10 in the waist, and at least a 33" inseam ... impossible to find. And then all my friends who are smaller than me (and I'm only 5'8") tell me how lucky I am to be tall! :rolleyes: :confused:

Edited to say Miss selfridge and Topshop do small sizes, I get lots of skirts there because they have to be an eight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Cherub

i need a 14 for my ass but i'm only a 12 waist. which makes jeans very uncomfortable, they keep falling down. I have large breasts so i need a 14 on top too, but my belly is fairly flat, so some tops make me look pregnant.

So my solution is to wear tops with a low neck. people think its cos i like to show off my big chest, but its honestly to get rid of the pregnant look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

i a size 8-10 depending on the shop

in topshop im a size 8

but in morgan im a size 10

shame they cant just all get their sizes sorted out universally.. but having said that in america i bought a pair of billabong jeans that are size 3.....???!! heh? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sizes are so different everywhere. In Topshop, I tried on a pair of size 10 jeans that fit fine, but in the Levi's store, I could barely close a pair of 12's. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

It's strange that no one has mentioned height here. A six foot girl who's a size 12 or 14 is probably the same size, proportionately, as a 5ft 4in girl who's a size 10.

My point is, I just hope that the high proportion of size 10-12 answers in the poll doesn't make those who answered size 14 or more feel that they're obviously overweight by comparison.

It's all about proportion people! Being 6ft and a size 8 would be frighteningly thin, I think.

roxy wrote:
    It's all about proportion people! Being 6ft and a size 8 would be frighteningly thin, I think.
    i'm aroud 5ft 7" and a size 6..

• Advertisement
Advertisement