Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going for Eircom Broadband

• 16-02-2006 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We are getting Eircom broadband - 2Mb option. The plan is to share it in the house over 2 laptops. Each of us have a wireless usb key. I see that Eircom offer a Free Wi-Fi Modem. Is there anything else we need?

Looking at their 2Mb option:

Up to 2 Mb speeds.
    €39.99 per month plus FREE connection*
    Free Wi-Fi modem.
    Free Broadband Guardian – family use.
    Always On, 20G download.
    Perfect for everyday surfing, gaming and downloading.
    Ideal for more regular Internet usage.
    Free two month trials of email protector, Sports Plus and Entertainment pass.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

Nope you don't need anythin else...the USB wi-fi adaptors will do the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Thanks. I'll see how this goes. My USB port is not the high speed type but should still be good enough for rates around 1Mbs? The 2Mb connection is being shared between 2 people anyway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Even USB 1 would be fast enough. USB1 is 12 megabits per second. USB2 is 480 megabits per second. You're getting 2 megabit broadband.

You'll only get 802.11b (11 megabit) between the two computers if you've USB 1 but that's still fast enough. I've lived with an 11b wireless router for a long time (only now planning on replacing it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

halenger wrote:
    Even USB 1 would be fast enough. USB1 is 12 megabits per second. USB2 is 480 megabits per second. You're getting 2 megabit broadband.

You'll only get 802.11b (11 megabit) between the two computers if you've USB 1 but that's still fast enough. I've lived with an 11b wireless router for a long time (only now planning on replacing it).

Thanks... I tried it over xmas and it passed 20Gb of music over 12 hours solid over a ad-hoc wireless home network connection (hard drive to hard drive). Good to hear that usb 1.1 is good enough. I was thinking about a pcmica card but I wanted to use it for a PC later.

Advertisement