Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Urgent help required re imperial bolt

Options
  • 16-02-2006 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    Just had a nightmare with my thermostat housing - two of the bolts sheared and one of them is bent. Just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere in the Malahide/Portmarnock/Baldoyle/Sutton and surrounding areas where I could get a replacement.
    The bolts are imperial, which makes them a pain to replace. I think a totally threaded bolt will fit too.
    Here's what they look like:
    bolt.jpg
    and here's what they should ideally look like (known as a shank bolt I believe):
    DAM7760.jpg

Any ideas? :confused:
    Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Not in Malahide/Portmarnock/Baldoyle/Sutton, but there's a bolt supplier shop in Coolmine Industrial Estate, if there's a bolt they have it. Cannot remember the name, but they are in the Golden Pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

What's the bolt off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Jayok - Cheers - I'll give them a bell tomorrow

Fabritzo - It's from a 92 Mini 1275 - from the thermostat housing. I need 3 of them, preferably stainless steel!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

if you're lucky, a good DIY store might stock them. Failing that, did ya try a Rover/MG dealers? Maybe even a BMW dealers?

Cheers John - I went to my local hardware store - only had metric stuff. I think I'm going to have a ring around tomorrow and see if I can borrow a car for a few hours! I doubt any dealers would have a bolt like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Try Tucks on East Wall Road - near the Honda dealer? Not sure if they are still there, but if they are, they should have what you're looking for.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Old British tractors had and still have lots of imperial nuts and bolts. So try a MF, Nuffield, "Tractor parts", etc garage see what they have.

Boating stores have stainless hardware, but may all be metric at this stage.

If a push comes to a shove, get a (metric) bolt that has an unthreaded portion longer than the bolt you need, cut to length and re-thread it with the thread you need.
    btw, I'd not recommend stainless in contact with regular steel in the presence of water, as you'll get galvanic corrosion, unless they are passivated stainless.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

esel wrote:
    Try Tucks on East Wall Road - near the Honda dealer? Not sure if they are still there, but if they are, they should have what you're looking for.

Hi Commited
    (Esel, sorry in advance)
    Esel is on the right track. It's not Tucks (different company), it's Tucks Fasteners and they have moved off the East Wall Road. But if you can locate them, they will sort you out. On more than one accasion, I.ve got then to go into yard and look at studs in engine compartment i wanted special nuts for. Very helpful and knowledgeable(?). If all else fails, they can be cut with hand threading machine. Simple enough job for fitter,once you have a sample of thread. Caution as to type of steel used.....for that you need a good fitter as oposed to a fitter.
    hopes this helpes
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Tucks is your best bet, but nearer is All Metal Fastners in Finglas. They are in that Industrial estate off Jamestown road, you can see them as you drive into the estate at the Joe Duffy end !

Cheers for the help lads - I found out a few friends have spare studs, so I'm going to collect them :)

Looks like I'm going to have to smash off the thermostat housing too which is a pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

commited wrote:
    Cheers for the help lads - I found out a few friends have spare studs, so I'm going to collect them :)

Looks like I'm going to have to smash off the thermostat housing too which is a pain

Why?
    If you've a broken stud...use stud extractor
    t

The thermostat housing is not held on by threads - the only threaded part is in the block. It looks like a previous owner has used permanent sealant on the housing. I left it soaking in WD40 for one night with no luck, and I'm going to head out and see if the bleach I poured over it had an effect.
    Once the housing is off I'll be able to use a vicegrips to get the rest of the bolt out.

Advertisement