Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To mister Canteen Correspondent

Options
  • 16-02-2006 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

You pompous self satisfied little git.Reaffirming your own sense of self superiority by reducing everyone you see into one of a select few cliches that you yourself define.I can only take solice in the fact that seeing as you claim to not belong to any of these groups it means you (unsurprisingly) probably have no friends.I don't even care if you never read this.I just felt like venting my frustration on people like you.(Well seeing as I'm a "Melvin" the stench of my B.O. might have prevented me from saying this to you in person anyway).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

What you talking about Willis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

I believe it may be a spoke article :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Kitty!!! Kitty!!!!!! Kittyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

I have to say, I agree with the article that I suspect this is about in general. Will post more tomorrow with a working keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

NotWormBoy wrote:
    I have to say, I agree with the article that I suspect this is about in general. Will post more tomorrow with a working keyboard.
    I await your reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Who could cc be???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Whats up with the latest Spoke? Usually I hate all the Spoke bashing, I like reading it. But on the front page there's question marks all over the place.

What;s the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ixion

yikes now that was entertaining... hmmm whats a melvin?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Marco Polo

I'm taking a wild guess and saying CC is Peter Kavanagh. And the latest article is fairly crap. Not funny enough to be humourous, not harsh enough to be offensive. It's ended up as some kind of sickly halfbreed that targets everybody but the sh1te alt-music loving, D4ised, nouveau-rugby fans.

It's seems "Melvin" is dated American slang for nerd and geek. Both words are perfectly good terms of abuse. Like, why do we need to start importing random out-of-date Americanisms, home dog? *Does random hip hand gesture*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

I find his articles informative and witty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I find his articles informative and witty.
    I had an excellent flame directed at the canteen correspondent typed out.
    I was thinking "jeez, I wonder if I'll get banned for this"
    Then I realised that I probably can't ban myself and that I should probably set some sort of high brow standard here.

So, eh don't flame the CC.

But if you see me around campus, ask to hear my canteen correspondent rant.:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I suspect he's the same person as 'Aunt Gertrude', as they both used the word 'melvin' in that paper.

Meh. It was hardly intelligent enough to be offensive. Just a bunch of redundant stereotyping and cliche.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

You pompous self satisfied little git.Reaffirming your own sense of self superiority by reducing everyone you see into one of a select few cliches that you yourself define.I can only take solice in the fact that seeing as you claim to not belong to any of these groups it means you (unsurprisingly) probably have no friends.I don't even care if you never read this.I just felt like venting my frustration on people like you.(Well seeing as I'm a "Melvin" the stench of my B.O. might have prevented me from saying this to you in person anyway).

I thought it was a great article. Go have a wash Melvin. You might get a girlfriend then!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Please, vent somewhere else, I'm trying to eat!

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    I had an excellent flame directed at the canteen correspondent typed out.
    I was thinking "jeez, I wonder if I'll get banned for this"
    Then I realised that I probably can't ban myself and that I should probably set some sort of high brow standard here.

So, eh don't flame the CC.

But if you see me around campus, ask to hear my canteen correspondent rant.:v:
    No way lets hear it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

The CC corespondent might be Peter Kavanagh? Well that explains alot.

Surel he could tell us who the CC is then seen as he is the CC correspondant.
    I should have more to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

Gael wrote:
    I thought it was a great article. Go have a wash Melvin. You might get a girlfriend then!:D
    my mom says I'm cool...

my mom says I'm a catch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Well, regardless of who wrote the article, and regardless of the quality of the writing, I personally can't stand what I like to call "elitist music students". Not that all the people I'd put into that group are music students, thats just what I've come to call them. The people who would actually stop listening to a band simply because a few more people heard about them, or because they were played on the radio or something like that. They do think they're cooler than everone else, and since they're cooler than you, you can't disagree with their opinions because, man, you're, like, not cool so you wouldn't understand. Man. With a touch of "roysh" thrown in as well. Its idiotic to not like a band simply because other people like them, because they're seen as 'mainstream'.

But also because he\she had a pop at the GAA heads as well. :-)

I don't really care how the writer thinks of himself or how he comes across in his article, but I agreed with what he said about the elitists. On another slightly off topic note, other people that I dislike: IRA heads, anti-globalisation auto-anti-america anti-most-stuff-that-can't-be-smoked-slept-with-or-eaten hippies, eh... I'm sure I could name more, but I won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

my mom says I'm cool...
    poor whiskey....alone, always alone.....

on the CC thing, are ther actualy D4 people in this college? infiarness, its not UCD and he is not ross O'Carroll Kelly, even though he is practicaly ripping it off.

I know there's at least on D4 girl and she's loud and obnoxious and ugly as hell. Really annoying voice too

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

Beau wrote:
    The CC corespondent might be Peter Kavanagh? Well that explains alot.

Doubt it. Not the way he'd write methinks.

I know there's at least on D4 girl and she's loud and obnoxious and ugly as hell. Really annoying voice too
    My voice is not annoying thank you!
    anti-globalisation auto-anti-america anti-most-stuff-that-can't-be-smoked-slept-with-or-eaten hippies, eh... I'm sure I could name more, but I won't.
    So are you pro-globalisation, anti-american,I'm asking a question here but if so I actually hate you, REALLY!Your ****.
    I can understand excuses such as lazyness and greed and human nature but if your ideals stretch as far as globalisation, you don't deserve to exist IMO.
    Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

trekkypj wrote:
    Doubt it. Not the way he'd write methinks.

Sorry trekkypj but its him, <<<<abuse snipped >dont post this sort of thing

k99_64 wrote:
    Sorry trekkypj but its him, <<<<abuse snipped >dont post this sort of thing
    banned for 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

Where is the love?

Back when I was (the original) Canteen Correspondent, I used it as a pedestal to extoll love, virtue, honour and fidelity.

People across Maynooth joined hands in glorious song and gleeful cheers, all in honour of the timeless lessons taught in that sacred column.

And nobody called it CC. Nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TheKav

Oh please! It'd be all too easy if I were the Canteen Correspondent, wouldn't it?

I will, however, take credit for the word melvin. I did introduce it to Maynooth this year in the first year handbook and it seems to have caught on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mach

I thoght cliches were something they had in secodary schools not colleges,we all adults, well most .We are old enough to decide who we hang out with,BTW I a geek/neard and proud of it.:p at CC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

No, you're wrong there. In fact, cliches become exaggerated threefold (maybe even fourfold) once college begins. This is because instead of there being one:

a) Lord Jock
    b) Lord Muso
    c) Lord Nerd

there will now be at least one:

a) Emperor Jock
    b) Emperor Muso, and
    c) Starfleet Commander Nerd

These, of course, each have a retinue of feudal lords and serfs, each displaying minor or major characteristics of their social grouping.

Advertisement