Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gates on Superquinn carpark

Options
  • 16-02-2006 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Anyone else think we should ask them to put gates on the underground carpark?
    Am getting sick of scumbags in small loud cars roaring in and out of there at all hours of the night...:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

daveco23 wrote:
    Am getting sick of scumbags in small loud cars roaring in and out of there at all hours of the night...:mad:

Absolutely. Although I must be going deaf as I don't hear them, but I sleep in the back room. My neighbour has been wakened by them. We suggested chains of spikes or blocking the entrance with a truck outside while they are in there. A gate would probably me more effective long term!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

daveco23 wrote:

The drivers are scumbags.?? How'd you make that one out?

I guess you'd prefer five dead on the roads, like last night in Donegal.

Care to expand?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

i agree they are scumbags and i find it quite entertaining that you're even asking someone to justify such a statement :D

how do i know they're scumbags ? well, anyone prepared to drive a car round and round a carpark very late at night with a souped-up exhaust (which roars even louder with the carpark accoustic) is a scumbag in my book. It shows zero consideration for residents who might:

a. have children trying to sleep :mad:
    b. be trying to sleep themselves :(
    c. not really be very interested in listening to car exhausts in general :confused:

people willing to showcase their cars in this way show no regard/respect for people around them and so in turn how can they expect us to show them any regard/respect??

anyway, with the price of petrol these days im surprised they waste their fuel driving in and out of superquinn, surely there are more interesting places to visit on these exciting late-night boy-racer excursions!! ;)

IT Loser wrote:
    The drivers are scumbags.?? How'd you make that one out?

I guess you'd prefer five dead on the roads, like last night in Donegal.

Care to expand?

Maybe you should expand IT :confused:

The young "gentlemen" blazing around in the Superquinn car park at all hours of the morning are minimising the probability that accidents such as occurred in Donegal will reoccur BECAUSE.........

......because they're in an otherwise empty car park, not a venue known for multi-car pile ups and death smashes....because their cars set them back more than you earn in 4 months and they're not in the business of pissing cash down the drain....because by and large real "Boy Racers" are superior drivers in every facet when compared to the preponderance of motorists...because if they were going to drive like that on the road they WOULD DO SO....the mere fact that they go to Superquinn is evidence that they are aware that such manoevures are "inappropriate" on the main street.

In the late 10th Century AD, tracts of land were afforded to marauding Vikings in return that stop marauding along the coast of Northern France. Subsequently called "Normans", these men morphed from Godless thugs into the creme de la creme of European Heavy Cavalry- an entity which, as a whole, performed admirably in its opposition against Turks, Mongols etc. Would it have been better to lock horns endlessly with Vikings, or allow them a chance to prove themselves to the general benefit? History has judged the decision makers correct on that one.

Now, I'm not saying that letting these "scumbags" rip around car parks is likely to churn out the next Schumachers, or anything close to it. They may not even develop into nice people of any sort. They may well remain Burberry be-decked Chavs for the rest of their lives. {which is what I think of most of them}

What I AM saying is that up and until such a stage that they are provided with some sort of a legal and convenient outlet for their activities then you will have to put up with the noise, right or wrong. Putting up gates will achieve nothing- merely move the problem onto someone elses turf [which I assume would suit you down to the ground anyways...given that I interpret your comments as applying to YOUR children and YOUR sleep]

Don't get me wrong: what these folk are up to is morally [if not legally] reprehensible. But by that same token loose accusations and labelling won't solve the problem any more than banning drugs solved the drugs issue. It merely moves it somewhere else. In short, a NIMBY argument. The same driving goes on up in Tesco at the end of Bellvue road...but thats a million miles from Charlesland and a lot closer to Kindlestown. 2+2 = 4.

Better to liase with local Plod, Superquinn, and see if some sort of a compromise can be arranged.

• Advertisement

eleMental wrote:
    i agree they are scumbags and i find it quite entertaining that you're even asking someone to justify such a statement :D

how do i know they're scumbags ? well, anyone prepared to drive a car round and round a carpark very late at night with a souped-up exhaust (which roars even louder with the carpark accoustic) is a scumbag in my book. It shows zero consideration for residents who might:

a. have children trying to sleep :mad:
    b. be trying to sleep themselves :(
    c. not really be very interested in listening to car exhausts in general :confused:

people willing to showcase their cars in this way show no regard/respect for people around them and so in turn how can they expect us to show them any regard/respect??

anyway, with the price of petrol these days im surprised they waste their fuel driving in and out of superquinn, surely there are more interesting places to visit on these exciting late-night boy-racer excursions!! ;)

The price of fuel is the least of their worries. Its insurance, a concept whose high costs has pissed off every young Male in this God forsaken ****hole called Ireland. Pissed off young men usually give 2 tosses, right or wrong, for the well being of others. I studied Criminology for 1 year in the Institute of Criminology [Ian O Donnell, the head of same, lives in Kilcoole] I therefore do not like or accept what these folk are up to but i understand it fully

As I said, better to go to war all-out or seek a compromise with them. Half measures and name calling don't cut it.

Insurance companies will quote this sort of behaviour and tell you that that is why prices are up. Bullsh&t. Tesco car-parks are private- the Guards can't go in there uninvited [within reason] and there is no obligation to tax or insure a road vehicle while on the premises. Kids know this...any anyways they don't care. I'm just pointing out to you what you're dealing with. Not necessarily scum....but if thats how you want it, I'm sure they'll entertain you. They don't have to be up for 6:30 Am....you do. Hope you see it my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

IT Loser,

There has been a huge debate recently about this on the motors forum; one boards.ie member was arrested for dangerous driving - while on private property incidentally. The motors forum is the place to talk about why they are doing it, and whether or not it is dangerous to do so. The humanities forum is to talk about whether they are "scumbags" or not.

The original topic is appropriate for this forum though, and I can't see why you would find it unreasonable that someone doesn't want it to happen near their home. Are "NIMBY" arguments not entirely appropriate for a forum this localised? (Rhetorical question, lets just try and stay on topic).

Eoin :)

Hi Eoin, personally I feel that it is impossible to cater for the argument without taking the bigger picture into account. If I were to stay strictly within bounds, then yes, gates should be put up. But to say that would express maybe only a small percentage of the real argument on. The argument would breakdown to a very basic issue of gates: YES or NO........I say "Yes, but......"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Did anyone actually go over to Superquinn, and ask them why they've not fitted gates? :)

IT Loser wrote:
    Hi Eoin, personally I feel that it is impossible to cater for the argument without taking the bigger picture into account. If I were to stay strictly within bounds, then yes, gates should be put up. But to say that would express maybe only a small percentage of the real argument on. The argument would breakdown to a very basic issue of gates: YES or NO........I say "Yes, but......"

I can see your point, but like I said there are other fora here to cater for the reasons of why kids carry out this activity. For the purposes of this forum, I don't think it's too much to accept that it is anti-social behaviour that is largely unwelcome in a private housing estate that has lots of small kids.

As I also said earlier, this forum is predominantly for Charlesland people (though of course not limited to), so you can't expect people not to take a very localised approach to what they do or do not want in the immediate area to them.

Without wanting to go off topic again, this dangerous driving is not limited to the carpark, it is also carried out on the roads up to the estate, where I have seen Gardai stop a young guy in a souped up sports car for sliding his car around the roundabout. I don't think that these guys are able to click an "off switch" in their head when they are done messing around in a carpark, and then drive safely on the road home.

• Advertisement

Sure, I agree with you to a greater or lesser extent. That said, Charlesland folk had better understand that the outlying boroughs have existed since day dot. Newtown saw heavy fighting during 1798, as did further outlying townlands. It's no mystery where these kids come from. Understand that, and you're half way to fixing the problem. Adopting a "this is Anfield" attitude [ie a siege mentality] fixes nothing. I guess what irks me is that this whole open townlands was built without anybody addressing these issues first.

IT Loser wrote:
    ......because they're in an otherwise empty car park, not a venue known for multi-car pile ups and death smashes....because their cars set them back more than you earn in 4 months and they're not in the business of pissing cash down the drain....because by and large real "Boy Racers" are superior drivers in every facet when compared to the preponderance of motorists...because if they were going to drive like that on the road they WOULD DO SO....the mere fact that they go to Superquinn is evidence that they are aware that such manoevures are "inappropriate" on the main street.

Now, I'm not saying that letting these "scumbags" rip around car parks is likely to churn out the next Schumachers, or anything close to it. They may not even develop into nice people of any sort. They may well remain Burberry be-decked Chavs for the rest of their lives. {which is what I think of most of them}

Don't get me wrong: what these folk are up to is morally [if not legally] reprehensible.
    Better to liase with local Plod, Superquinn, and see if some sort of a compromise can be arranged.

"because by and large real "Boy Racers" are superior drivers in every facet when compared to the preponderance of motorists." !

I very much doubt this, and I see them racing out with as much indifference to everyone else on the road as they have to people trying to get some kip. Spinning tires and booming music, how is that good driving. Why would you think that once these "these folk" who "are up to morally [if not legally] reprehensible" behaviour suddenly become socially responsible careful drivers as soon as they breathe the air outside of Superquinn car park, like Dr. Jekyll's injection wearing off?:confused:

As to them having nothing else to do, that argument holds very little weight if any in this case. They have cars, they can go where they want, the money they are wasting on petrol, could be spent in a cinema, bowling alley or go-kart racing. And, is it society's responsibility to ensure that these young "gentlemen" have facilities available to them between 12am and 3am ?!

ps. The car park would not be exclusively Superquinn's but for all the businesses in the center, so I will write to the management responsible and ask that they do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

IT Loser wrote:
    ....because by and large real "Boy Racers" are superior drivers in every facet when compared to the preponderance of motorists...

Are you for real????????

I take for granted that you have not seen them arriving to Charlesland, I tell you now that they are NOT diving to the letter of the law, speeding on a round-about in poor weather conditions does not show "superior driving skills" in any way. It shows ignorance and complete disregard for the lives of those around them, and for the law itself. Can I also remind you that diving in this manner is completely illegal and those laws are in place to protect you, me and our children?

On top of all of this, can you tell us that if you are kept awake until 2am on a Monday morning as these people screech around a car park (in an apparently responsible manner?) that you can lie awake with a content grin that at least they’re not on the roads?
    What about when they leave the Superquinn car park? Do you really believe that they drive responsibly? I tell you now that they don’t, I’ve seen them “speeding off.

Another point………..we get it, you’re a mine for local history, but what does…
    IT Loser wrote:
    Newtown saw heavy fighting during 1798, as did further outlying townlands.

or
    IT Loser wrote:
    In the late 10th Century AD, tracts of land were afforded to marauding Vikings in return that stop marauding along the coast of Northern France. Subsequently called "Normans", these men morphed from Godless thugs into the creme de la creme of European Heavy Cavalry- an entity which, as a whole, performed admirably in its opposition against Turks, Mongols etc.

…have to do with Charlesland residents being unhappy with about being kept awake??

Comparing Vikings to irresponsible drivers is a bit............. well your just grasping at straws, aren’t you? But a least you get to show off your historical knowledge…

Typical Charleslanders.

Take your motor [what do you drive? A Ford Mondeo, An SUV, some gas guzzling heap of crap, whatever] Any back road you care to mention, uphill, downhill....wet, dry, greasy....these guys will outhandle you every time. You'll spin out while they drift [do you even know what drifting is?] through every bend. You mention they are speeding in poor weather conditions........you try speeding in poor weather and not losing it. You merely qualify my argument in a backhanded way. You'll lose it everytime. Guarantee it. Why? Cos getting stuck in traffic is your idea of driving. Acting the bollix and being a good driver can be inclusive. You seem to insist on confusing good behaviour with poor driving. They are sh1ts.....but they can drive. End of story. Like I said, get moms Golf and I'll show you. Pick your track.....

I'm through explaining it to you. You've adopted the NIMBY attitude, you know it all, fine.... and told me off for trying to be objective, whilst pandering yourself to your own subjective petty agenda.

Put the gates up. They'll see your gates and raise you. What are you going to do then? Get gates either end of the road between Burnaby and Kilcoole. David fu*&ing Norris style? Alternatively, maybe open the car park once a week during the Summer. Organise events, open days...take the sting out of the tail, take the play away from the hardcore element...but oh no, you'd rather have your vulgar display of power and put gates up.

You'll get your gates, and then some.

As for showing off, I don't show off. You have to compromise. If you do, and they persist, fine. You'll then have the capital to get heavyhanded. But my guess is that they won't persist.

Try and remember- I know these people. You don't.

Ru wrote:
    Are you for real????????

I take for granted that you have not seen them arriving to Charlesland, I tell you now that they are NOT diving to the letter of the law, speeding on a round-about in poor weather conditions does not show "superior driving skills" in any way. It shows ignorance and complete disregard for the lives of those around them, and for the law itself. Can I also remind you that diving in this manner is completely illegal and those laws are in place to protect you, me and our children?

On top of all of this, can you tell us that if you are kept awake until 2am on a Monday morning as these people screech around a car park (in an apparently responsible manner?) that you can lie awake with a content grin that at least they’re not on the roads?
    What about when they leave the Superquinn car park? Do you really believe that they drive responsibly? I tell you now that they don’t, I’ve seen them “speeding off.

Another point………..we get it, you’re a mine for local history, but what does…

or

…have to do with Charlesland residents being unhappy with about being kept awake??

Comparing Vikings to irresponsible drivers is a bit............. well your just grasping at straws, aren’t you? But a least you get to show off your historical knowledge…

Ok,....I'll spell it out. The attitude of these kids is.......

"You're a blow in. We were here first. Now we do what we want. For a couple hours. Every now and again. And fukk you if you don't like it."

Charming, I agree.

But you are hung by your own hand. You accused me of not being around when these guys show up in Charlesland....guess what...I don't have to be!!! I've seen it all before!! THATS THE POINT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO MAKE..I know these guys, you don't. End of story.

Like I keep saying, go ahead and put the gates up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you drive at the edge of safety, sooner or later you cross the edge.
    If you drive at the edge of safety most of the time, you cross the edge sooner.

Todays word is caltrop

Thread closed, this is going absolutely nowhere. Apologies to daveco23 who started this thread in good faith.
    IT Loser wrote:
    Typical Charleslanders.

IT Loser, I doubt you know anywhere near enough people from Charlesland, let alone know enough about the people who post here to be able to make that kind of remark.

Also, check out the road death stats, it is not people in those fuel guzzling SUVs (that seem to irk you so much) that are involved in most the deaths, it is "superior" young male driver. This is fact.
    IT Loser wrote:
    subjective petty agenda.

As I said before, this forum was set up specifically for Charlesland people. "NIMBY" arguments are entirely appropriate for this forum. Labelling what is a serious nuisance (at the very least) as a petty agenda comes across as argument for arguments sake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement