Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nokia 6230i Data Cable

• 16-02-2006 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about getting a data cable for my phone. I want to be able to take my pictures off the phone and to upload mp3s that I can use as ring tones. I presume this is possible and is the point of the cable. Is it an easy thing to do once I get the cable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

You could just get a USB dongle (about €20) and do it that way.....easy peesy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

By dongle you mean it works via bluetooth? Do I get software with that and then I can just accesss the files on the phone?

Yes you can send files via Bluetooth without the need for cables
    shop4memory have one for €20 delivered n all!
    bluetooth-adapter.gif

You won't need any special software or drivers (if you're using Win 2k or XP) Windows has the funcitonality built in....you will see a little bluetooth icon in your system tray...right-click on that to send or receive a file...simple

That looks good. So I just turn on bluetooth on my phone, pc picks it up and I just access a bunch of folders or something?

• Advertisement

Woops, just spotted the second reply. I'll order one now. Thanks for the info.

FX Meister wrote:
    That looks good. So I just turn on bluetooth on my phone, pc picks it up and I just access a bunch of folders or something?
    It doesn't quite work like that....you can't browse your folders on your phone...what you do is say for example you want to send a song to your phone (or a few)...highlight the songs you want to send, right-click and click Send To - Bluetooth Device and hey presto it send to your phone...you will get a message on your phone asking if you want to accept the data...accept...then save to the relevant folder.
    To send photos to your PC for example....right click on the Bluetooth icon in the system tray and click Receive a file....then on your phone select the picture you want to send and click Send via bluetooth....your pc will show up and select it....the file will download to your PC and you will be asked where you want to save it....
    I have a folder on my PC where all Bluetooth transferred files go.
    I know that might sound quite involved but it's actually quite simple once you get the hang of it...only drawback is that you can't browse the folders on your phone from your PC...but hey I'm sure there's software out there to do it
    I personally like the least amount of software installed on my computer...if Windows can do it with the necessary drivers installed...that'll do me.

That sounds fine. It does everything I want. Cheers for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

fletch wrote:
    Yes you can send files via Bluetooth without the need for cables
    shop4memory have one for €20 delivered n all!
    bluetooth-adapter.gif

You can pick one up from Totterdells in Bray and Blackrock for a little less then that they also deliver

Cheers but I got it already. I t arrived monday. Works perfectly and it actually lets me browse the folders on my phone in an explorer pane. Can't seem to access other folders though so don't think I can remove the operator logo. And the Nokia software doesn't recognise it. I presume this is just because it's not a Nokia dongle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

FX Meister wrote:
    Cheers but I got it already. I t arrived monday. Works perfectly and it actually lets me browse the folders on my phone in an explorer pane. Can't seem to access other folders though so don't think I can remove the operator logo. And the Nokia software doesn't recognise it. I presume this is just because it's not a Nokia dongle?

the nokia software should recognise it. it doesn't have to be a nokia dongle

It doesn't for some reason. Ill try and reinstall it to see if that helps.

Advertisement