Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this set-up work

• 16-02-2006 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Attached is an excellent graphical representation of my proposed set-up :D

I have the AMP and main speakers in my living room and they are in regular use.
    The 'spare' speakers are in the sitting room and are only switched on (from the amp) during parties etc.

But my wife wants to get a record player (as she has a lot of old rubbish records that she likes).
    Assuming the record player in question has speaker outputs, can i wire it into the 'spare' speakers alongside the wires coming from my amp?

Chunks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

How exactly do you plan to get the input from the amp from a pair of speakers, surely it shoulg go
    Record Player----Amp----Speakers

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Would have to ask the same question as Sean_Keevey..need to go source-amp-speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

The player has its own 'built in' amp.
    it is one of these she would like:

http://www.homeaudiosuperstore.com/crosley-cr711.html

And i thought it would be cool to wire it up to the speakers in the room.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

My only concern would be the fact you'd have two sources (amp and player) plugged into 1 speaker. Not sure if this is recommended and switching out the wires every time you want to use a different source would be a pain. THe most ideal would be to plug your player into the amp and amp into the speakers - thats how the electronics god's would have us do it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Thanks,

I thought that myself, but didn't really know for sure that it would be a problem.

Reason I asked is that the record player & spare speakers are in a different room to the Amp and main speakers

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

i saw a switch box a while ago that would let you route from one amp or the other ...god knows where i saw it but you could have a look for something like that...

from memory i think the routing of 2 amps to one set of speakers is a bit of a no-no. if you power both on at the same time, that is when you would get problems, potentially leading to blown speakers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Dont do this. Buy a decent record deck with a pre-amp if your amp doesnt have a phono input. It'll work out much better :)

Advertisement