Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO investigation of deaths in wrestlings2003

• 16-02-2006 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

Seeing as how linking to You tube is now a no no. If you go to www.youtube.com, type in vince mcmahon and you'll see a video called "HBO Real Sports on Wrestling (2003)".

Its a really interesting clip , but if anyone bothers to look for it, particuliarly look out for Vince McMahon's interview in the middle and how he reacts to a person who asks him whether he takes any repsonsibility for wrestlers dieing. Its compelling.

Its not a bullet proof piece by any means but its worth a look if it up loads quick enough.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

the man is the devil himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Ah ol' grapefuites, ya gotta love him. But seriously, how BS was it that vince denied that his company was the biggest in the 80's, where if the subject was about anything else, Vince would've said that his company is and was always the biggest the compnay. Loved it when he got all wound and slapped the interviewer's notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

On a sad, ironic note, I just read this over at rajah: http://rajah.com/base/node/4809. Rest In Peace Pubilc Enemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Hang on, the interviewer was making Vince think that he should be saying he's responsible for the wrestler's deaths. I personally wouldn't say Vince is responsible. People make their own choices, guys got to the top without doing a load of drugs, I don't believe it could be called a "requirement" to do drugs at all. If you watch the piece, right after Vince gets pissed off cos the guy seems to imply that he should feel responsible, the article moves on and the narrator says "indeed, nobody blames Vince for the deaths of these wrestlers". So the guy was obviously just lookin for a reaction

Never mind the way they can twist these types of interviews around! Not saying this one was, but ever remember Foley talkin about how a tv program made him look like a heartless bastard by editing video footage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I'd agree that the piece was not all together 100%. But for him to react like that made him look ridiculous and did in no way help him to get his point accross.

Whoose to blame? I don't think its one single person or thing although I would n't totally absolve Vince .
    On the one hand it is someones personal decision to get involved in wrestling. On the other back in the 80's their shcedule at least from what I've read was absolutely brutal, alot worse than what it is right now. Plus alot of the guys going into it would have had nothing to fall back on in terms of education in comparison to a fair few wrestlers of today who seem to have some education., to the point where they may have felt trapped. The money was just too enticing to say no too.

But really, its hard to say from such a distance who or what is to blame. I dont think its just 1 issue though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Plus alot of the guys going into it would have had nothing to fall back on in terms of education in comparison to a fair few wrestlers of today who seem to have some education., to the point where they may have felt trapped. The money was just too enticing to say no too.

Pro Wrestling isn't the only profession where guys have nothing to fall back on. Football, Acting and other sports where you quit at an early age and then had to get on with the rest of your life. The difference with wreslting is the an important part of it the image. Guys having to look good for the camera and i'd say Vince probably told a few guys to "take it to the next level" or their out.
    The 80's was a tough time cause the business was just starting the have to nearly kill themselves to make something of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Stalfos wrote:
    Pro Wrestling isn't the only profession where guys have nothing to fall back on. Football, Acting and other sports where you quit at an early age and then had to get on with the rest of your life.
    I would n't necessarily agree with that. I think proffesional wrestling is a speical case. In American universities the scholarship system is in place so even if you did n't make it in college football , or amateur wrestling or whatever you had somthing to fall back on in the form of a qualification. There were obviously no scholarships for professional wrestling.
    But I take your point about image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

very strange vince lost his cool in that interview, usually hes a master manipulator of the media, he can twist and turn hings so much that you forget what question you asked him in the first place

Put it down to a bad day i suppose

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

what's wrong with linking to youtube?
    i missed the memo.
    no, i'm not going to search for it. a simple explanation will suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

julep wrote:
    what's wrong with linking to youtube?
    i missed the memo.
    no, i'm not going to search for it. a simple explanation will suffice.

The explanation ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

thanks. i didn't go into that thread because i don't like reading spoilers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Vince did not make himself or his company look good in the slightest by knocking the pappers out of the interviewers hands. I think Vince has to take some responceability.
    He pressured thoose guys to look good and to work 5 or 6 six nights a week. Wrestling is a very physical business. Look at rugby players get at least a 7 day break between games at the top level. If a wrestler is asked to work 6 nights a week by a promoter who can determin the fate of his career through the booking he makes how can he say no? Theres no union, no benifits, no pension, nothing to fall back on. Theese guys have to make it while there young if they ever want to be able to live of there lagacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yak_kadafi

Vince did not make himself or his company look good in the slightest by knocking the pappers out of the interviewers hands. I think Vince has to take some responceability.
    He pressured thoose guys to look good and to work 5 or 6 six nights a week. Wrestling is a very physical business. Look at rugby players get at least a 7 day break between games at the top level. If a wrestler is asked to work 6 nights a week by a promoter who can determin the fate of his career through the booking he makes how can he say no? Theres no union, no benifits, no pension, nothing to fall back on. Theese guys have to make it while there young if they ever want to be able to live of there lagacy

real talk

Advertisement