Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 NTL connection points

• 16-02-2006 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

Ok ,NTL are supposed to install two access points with their broad band.HOw do you go about utilising this,do they give you 2 modems for example?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Ok ,NTL are supposed to install two access points with their broad band.HOw do you go about utilising this,do they give you 2 modems for example?

No it's for TV. Buy a wireless router or ask the installer for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

cool so will they always give you a wireless modem when it is needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

So I've heard. Put your computer in a really akward spot where it would be hard to get a cable. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

What do you mean when you say its for a tv? I have digital with ntl. Does it make any difference to that?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You have to request a wireless modem at time of ordering over the phone. They will give you a long story about how they dont give them out and that you can purchase one in pcworld or the likes. Tell them that you know a few that have got them from ntl and as you only own 2 laptops in the house, you dont want to be restricted to one room.

I have done this atleast 5 times for different people and all have been successful. They will supply a netgear wireless router and also a usb wireless adaptor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

While technically you could have two connections, that would require two modems as you state, which would in effect give you two separate connections. Which you'd have to pay for.

I was under the impression that NTL were supplying wireless router/modems to most people whose connection was nowhere near their computer?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Aquos76 wrote:
    You have to request a wireless modem at time of ordering over the phone. They will give you a long story about how they dont give them out and that you can purchase one in pcworld or the likes. Tell them that you know a few that have got them from ntl and as you only own 2 laptops in the house, you dont want to be restricted to one room.

I have done this atleast 5 times for different people and all have been successful. They will supply a netgear wireless router and also a usb wireless adaptor.

Don't count on it though - I had a friend of mine primed and to use her persuasive charms on the installer but he claimed that they had none left and told her to ring NTL about it where of course she got a not so polite refusal.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

As I said, the installers are no longer allowed to give them out, unless they are on the original customer order. You must ask for this before you proceed with the order. It will not work at a later stage, unless of course the instruction is given from the installer.

Advertisement