Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to play!

Options
  • 16-02-2006 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Hey, im looking to start playing american football. ive been checking out the sites and i think im going to give the lads at the dcu saints a call. the thing is i broke my neck a few months ago, and i dont know if it will be too dangerous to play.

i personally feel fine with my neck, but i know a doctor would say otherwise. im 6'6 and about 16 stone, i reckon i'd make a good defense player or a HB/FB.
    do you think i should go for this? im going to go see my doctor first, but i think he'll give me bad news.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

if the doctor gives you bad news, dont go for it. YOu'd be a idiot if you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Dont even attempt it. Breaking your neck is a very serious injury, every position on defense will require tackling which will not do any good to your neck. Wait until you receive the all clear from your doctor before going to any team. If you want to play half/full back you will need to be able to lower your shoulder which will involve some serious whacks to the head/neck area. It will only result in bad news for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

thats what im fearing. i really want to play this game. i hope in a few months i'll get the all clear to play this great game.

If you want to get involved you could become an Umpire?

IncredibleBulk posted a thread a few days ago about it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054888443

might not be the same, but its a way to get involved atleast until you are given the all clear.

yeah, i think ill give that a go, thanks!

incrediblebulk, i sent you a pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

I'd love to play too, but at 5'10 and 140 pounds I don't know if I could fit in anywhere. Assuming I'm not big enough to play, is there another way to get involved on a team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 psycrow

there is no set size you have to be to play football. if you learn the techniques correctly theres usually a way to compensate for your size.

If you did just want to get involved, teams are always looking for help behind the scenes... marking the pitch, moving the chains etc you should get in contact with your local team

as for the other guy with the neck problem.. just wait untill you get the all clear from the doctor. its not worth the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Don't let a small size get you down, two quality receivers in Steve Smith and Santana Moss are around the 5"9 - 5" 10 mark. You'll need to be really speedy though, and probably want to bulk a few stone up too. Oh and just to warn you - you will be absolutely creased by lads twice your size.... FREQUENTLY!

Manny7 wrote:
    I'd love to play too, but at 5'10 and 140 pounds I don't know if I could fit in anywhere. Assuming I'm not big enough to play, is there another way to get involved on a team?

Youre definitely big enough to play, in fact ive yet to see anyone refused to play because of their size. Its usually their own fears that stop them from playing. In our league not everyone is over 6 foot so you have nothing to worry about really, give your local team a shout and turn up for a training session. If you dont like it your not commited to staying with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

When are your trainings, I wouldn't mind having a look.

BTW.. I'm 6'5" & 265 :D and I'm mean :mad: (not) :p

And to the OP, are you ****ing mental!!!!!!

• Advertisement

And to the OP, are you ****ing mental!!!!!!

well, i suppose i am:p
    i have a serious lust for this game.
    you'll see how mental i am when we come faceguard to faceguard!!(in a few months :v: )

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

i might be joining this season too.

6'1 and 185.

going down to a training session tomoro to see what i can see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 NDMARSHALS

Come down and take a look at our practice if you are interested we don't discriminate against any size or shape same as most teams there is a place for everyone.

With experienced coaching staff and players helping you to learn you will have no fear.

All the guys including the young guys get alot of confidence when learning from our Coach who was an Ex NFL player and QB who played D2 College Ball.

The Marshals train in the Phoenix Park every Sunday from Midday map on www.northdublinmarshals.com

All gear provided to all players. Our first game is in Santry Stadium on the 25th March at 3pm in Aid of Temple St Childrens Fund against the Derby Braves.

Feel free to call me.

John COllins

just been to a training session with the dragons.

i will be back. that rocked

Any chance of providing some more detail please as "that rocked" doesn't exactly explain alot :D

sorry, was still on the adrenalin buzz.

so i arrive down at 11.30, as it said on their website.

the team trickles in and most of us are there by 12.

we start warming up on a slightly muddy pitch, then it starts to rain and we start to warm up on a very muddy pitch.

we practice some of the 'fundamentals' as there are about 6 newbs present.

we do basic tackling skills, low contact at first, and then more contact as we go.

then we practice some more tackling, and then we move on to blocking, which is in my opinion, great fun.

we then split up into offensive and defensive, practice each, and then finish off with some scrimmage against each other.

a nice little way to spend your sunday afternoon.

the lads are all sound, and helpful, but they also know how to tackle. i speak from experience.

Does everyone do the tackling routine? if so, Why?

Are the newbs asked what positin they want, or are they just judged on size first then given a position?

everyone learns to tackle cause its a good skill to have.

as i understand it, being able to play in more than one position, and perhaps in offense and defense, is a useful skill also.

positions arent based on size, but obviously, the faster players will be recievers and the bulkier players, at the start, will be blockers, preferably.

this is my beginners grasp of it anyway.

we are gonna sort out positions for the newbs after we see how we are gettin on regarding the different skills. it was, after all, our 1st training session

the lads are all sound, and helpful, but they also know how to tackle. i speak from experience.

Nick, dave or les? :D

ya know, i didnt get the chance to ask their names on the way down to the ground:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 NDMARSHALS

Does everyone do the tackling routine? if so, Why?

Are the newbs asked what positin they want, or are they just judged on size first then given a position?

All players must learn how to give and take tackles after every player on the field could end up having to make one right down to the kicker and punter.

How long does the training last??

it differs from team to team, but mine was about 4 to 4 and a half hours

I'll be there Sunday.

which team?

ill probably play you some time this season so. :P

which team?

North Dublin Marshals

ill probably play you some time this season so. :P

Stupid psychic person :p

Who you playing for??

Edit: just seen your sig :p

that keeps happening to me, where i post after the person responds, and it comes up before they responded. how strange.

i trained with the dragons, so they are my team now. gotta love unconditional loyalty

• Advertisement

that keeps happening to me, where i post after the person responds, and it comes up before they responded. how strange.

i trained with the dragons, so they are my team now. gotta love unconditional loyalty

True, hope I make the cut now though :) It'll be like the episode of the simpsons where Homer takes over the team :p

Advertisement