Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to play!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

everyone do a lap.

peter, you dont have to....your cut

and get rid of those damn sideburns!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

True, hope I make the cut now though :) It'll be like the episode of the simpsons where Homer takes over the team :p

You're also welcome to come to DCU Saints training on Sundays from 11am to 2.15 at DCU sports grounds on the Ballymun Road (Buses: 11,11a,13,13a,19a from town). You get off at the Shell station on the road and it's at the side of there. Non DCU students are welcome. I'm not one and I'm playing for them this season. Membership costs e10 for non students which is a lot less than other clubs charge. Gear can be hired (not sure of cost as I bought mine). The Irish head coach and defensive coordinators hold the same positions in our team and we also have a very good lineman coach.

what position?

sorry peter, private messaged you there by mistake. Thought you were Keyser Soze 5. I play defensive tackle

no worries, good to know anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm going to go with the Marshalls this weekend and see if I like the game. Also to see if I'm suited to the game as I'm not really what sort of position i'd fit into. The Phoenix Park is also closer to me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

you are all jammy gits, ive not played since College in Cardiff as i live down in Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

Most of the Irish teams are absolutely terrible. I've been to the Shamrock bowl a few times and it's always The Rebels (the only team in the ROI who actually have a clue IMO) vs. The Knights (NI). The other Irish teams alway get HAMMERED in the full contact league.

BTW, is the flag league still going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Well Im sure a hurling or gaelic team in the states wouldnt exactly be sensational either op.:)

Im gonna be busy as hell over the next three weeks so I wont be able to make it, will it be to late to join after that? Also just how much about the game should you know(I know the rules and the basics but when it comes to tactics I aint that knowledgeable)

P.S. 4 hours:eek: That sounds like quite a session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I went to a session a few weeks back. It was great fun and tough at the same time. Was quite sore for a few days, was a mixture of lack of exercise and being hit. They had me in at offensive line, did pretty well if I say so myself. Only thing that stopped me from going back was the fact that I would've missed most of the season (apart from the last 2 games) because of exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

The OP wrote:
    Most of the Irish teams are absolutely terrible. I've been to the Shamrock bowl a few times and it's always The Rebels (the only team in the ROI who actually have a clue IMO) vs. The Knights (NI). The other Irish teams alway get HAMMERED in the full contact league.

Well im not sure how many of the recent games you have been to but the standard has improved in the past few years.

The flag league that was died down with only on or two teams remaining but not competing, there is someone now who is attempting to rekindle the flag league though.

http://www.irish-flag-football.com/

The OP wrote:

Well the Belfast Bulls got to the Bowl last year and topped the league so new teams are starting to make an impression although I think the rebels and carrickfergus will again be the team to beat... most of the teams are fairly new (two new teams this year, at least three next year) so you gotta give em time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

How competitive is it? Like to actually play in competitive games would you have to be a decent player or is it more of a sunday league everybody gets a run out sorta thing?

It is very competitive I must say, i've played for the past 2 years and one thing you can gaurantee is that every player goes out and gives it there all on any given sunday. Obviously it helps if you are a good player however skill does not matter much as each team will take you in and develop you, the main thing you need is love of the game, if you have that nothing will stop you playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Iceman_5000

Goin to college in Belfast next year, and was hoping to play some american football with the bulls any one know anything about them?

The bulls had a great squad last year however during the offseason there was a split and the team was pretty much halved losing a lot of players, there will be a new team in belfast called the Trojans which might be worth a look in also. Information for them should be on www.iafl.info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 NDMARSHALS

The OP wrote:

What are you talking about? Have you ever played the game? And to what standard are you comparing an Amateur league? American Football is a tactical sport think before you talk in future a don't forget how many points a touchdown gives you. Man ignorance annoys me.

Look if you want to see the progression of this league come down to Morton Stadium(Santry Stadium) for the Marshals first game American Coaches, Cheerleaders Dancers and a fair few quality Irish and American players.

Advertisement