Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LawSoc Auditor for next year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

A vote for Barry is a vote for family values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Personality is the main part of popularity.
    I think it unhealthy that either of the above are valued more than ability, suitability or manifestos

Let me give you an example of what I mean.
    Seamus O'Maonigh knows absolutely everyone on this campus,personally I find him quite rude and not the most trustworthty person.However,three years ago when he ran for welfare I didnt know him so well and thus voted for him cos I knew his face and didnt have a clue bout the other girl runnning.Maybe it was a case of better the devil you know.When I mean popularity,I mean that a lot of people know who you are and not necessarily like you.This sort of 'popularity' wins elections.
    If you look at Jane last year who ran for president last year,she is the nicest person you could ever meet.I'd say she has the nicest personality of most of the people who run for president.However,she wasnt as well known and 'popular' as the charismatic James Carroll.Hence this is what I mean by popularity winning over personality.
    So kaptain red eye I am agreeing with you.It shouldnt be populaity that wins an election it should be manifestos,ideas etc but this rarely works in UCD.

I've only seen Mulrooney debate once.At a d4 debate about two years ago and it was pretty cringeworty.I felt so sorry for him cos its tough to speak infront of a whole lecture hall of students and be funny.I dont know though what it takes to make a good law socauditor.I say 'the van 'for auditor!!He's getting my virtual vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

panda100 wrote:
    If you look at Jane last year who ran for president last year,she is the nicest person you could ever meet.I'd say she has the nicest personality of most of the people who run for president.However,she wasnt as well known and 'popular' as the charismatic James Carroll.
    lol... or charismatic enough for you to remember that her name is Joanne... ;)

Okay, enough pedantics for me today...

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

Blush_01 wrote:
    I'll second the question on his organisational abilities. I just have no faith in his leadership qualities.
    Come on, Sean Tracey iand Barry Hickey are hardly JFK. John Thuillier didn't exactly have fantastic leadership skills and anyone who ever went to a Law Soc debate knows that it is really hard to hear him when he talks. All the same he made a good auditor.
    As for the organisational skills. He has organised plenty of stuff before, like the medical malpractice night (which was class). It is absolutely absurd suggest that if Mulrooney becomes auditor the society will implode. He is as capable as his opponents and has far better ideas than Sean Tracey (yet to read BH's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

panda100 wrote:
    I say 'the van 'for auditor!!He's getting my virtual vote.

Thanks a million Panda! I love virtual votes!

• Advertisement

lol... or charismatic enough for you to remember that her name is Joanne... ;)

Okay, enough pedantics for me today...

Ah did I say Jane?I meant Joanne!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Zephead

Diorraing wrote:
    I have just read Sean Tracey's manifesto. It has to be the most banal document I have ever seen. Nothing exciting or innovative.
    His plans for Roebuck are :
    "More High Class-Class Parties in these really expensive clubs". Does he think that we are made of money? Law Socs nights out are expensive enough as it is! Nothing about getting better facilities for students in Law. Why is it that the Law Soc cannot look after its own faculty? Med Soc looks after Medicine, Q Soc looks after commerce etc.
    Tracey's proposels for Moot Court aren't good. He didn't suggest tutorials for people who don't know how they work. Nothing about getting all the Law Socs together and having an all-Ireland competition.
    Debating-wise he should be solid as he was debates convener and having seen him he is a very good debater. Again for Comedy Debates he doesn't have any plans for tutorials although he does promise more of them.

It looks like the Law Soc will continue as it is under Tracey's guidance. His ideas are solid but not spectacular. The society will continue to neglect Law Students, and debating will be as hard as ever to break into.
    Richard Mulrooney's ideas are innovative and will change Law Soc for the better. His ents ideas sound really good (although I'm not really into the ents scene!), his ideas for debates, comedy debates, moot courts are fresh and promise to make the society more inclusive. As a Law student he knows what the students in Law need and that is clear from his manifesto.
    As for Barry Hickey, I have yet to read his manifesto and my vote is still there for the taking if his ideas are good enough.
    At the moment, however, Richard Mulrooney all the way

Have you actually seen Mulrooney's manifesto? he wants to make it very law based and therefore loose the membership lawsoc gets from arts. this membership is crucial because it pulls in the big money, the money that should be filtered back to law students. Tracey is the only one who recognises this. Mulrooney has some good ideas but he doesnt understand the economics of such a big society. You cant just try to attract the law students and no one else. it has a membership of 3400 people, only 300 of which are law students.

Tracey's manifesto is the only one that takes account of this. His manifesto is focused on building up a society for all students, while at the same time, shifting the focus back towards the law students. The parties thing, if you actually took the time to read the manifesto properly, is subsidised parties and class trips away. This means law students pay LESS for tickets, booze, accomodation etc...

And you can hardly call the manifesto banal! Look at Richie's, its a bloody essay!! i can barely read most of the writing. And even if you can make the writing out, the ideas are either one of two things:

1) the status quo, or
    2) Unrealistic

He says hes going to get Mick Jagger in.... Yeah, good luck Richie. The thing about tutorials before the debates was an idea put forward by Fiona Shine and Sean Tracey at the begining of the year as well, but no one was interested so it ceased. As well, this whole thing about wireless and stuff, never going to happen, because societies dont have the power to lobby for those things. Things like that are looked after by the SU, your class reps, and the staff student committees. I'll tell you this, if you think Richie can deliver these crazy promises, you are wrong. He cant, because its impossible, there are proper channels for this sort of thing and if they are not followed the college wont listen. And those channels dont start with the auditor. Trust me, i've been a member and on the committee for years!

Zephead wrote:
    Have you actually seen Mulrooney's manifesto? he wants to make it very law based and therefore loose the membership lawsoc gets from arts. this membership is crucial because it pulls in the big money, the money that should be filtered back to law students. Tracey is the only one who recognises this. Mulrooney has some good ideas but he doesnt understand the economics of such a big society. You cant just try to attract the law students and no one else. it has a membership of 3400 people, only 300 of which are law students.

Tracey's manifesto is the only one that takes account of this. His manifesto is focused on building up a society for all students, while at the same time, shifting the focus back towards the law students. The parties thing, if you actually took the time to read the manifesto properly, is subsidised parties and class trips away. This means law students pay LESS for tickets, booze, accomodation etc...

And you can hardly call the manifesto banal! Look at Richie's, its a bloody essay!! i can barely read most of the writing. And even if you can make the writing out, the ideas are either one of two things:

1) the status quo, or
    2) Unrealistic

He says hes going to get Mick Jagger in.... Yeah, good luck Richie. The thing about tutorials before the debates was an idea put forward by Fiona Shine and Sean Tracey at the begining of the year as well, but no one was interested so it ceased. As well, this whole thing about wireless and stuff, never going to happen, because societies dont have the power to lobby for those things. Things like that are looked after by the SU, your class reps, and the staff student committees. I'll tell you this, if you think Richie can deliver these crazy promises, you are wrong. He cant, because its impossible, there are proper channels for this sort of thing and if they are not followed the college wont listen. And those channels dont start with the auditor. Trust me, i've been a member and on the committee for years!
    I agree with a lot of what you have to say but you have failed to adress Tracey's total lack of doing anything for people with a genuine interest in Law. If Law Soc is meant to be purely a debating society, thats fine. Elect Tracey. If its meant to be a society for Law Students, people with an interest in Law, debating, entertainments etc, then Tracey should have more on offer. His idea for Moot Courts is (and I quote): "They should be continued" - as if they were going to die. On the otherhand Mulrooney has loads of realistic ideas like an all-ireland competition and sending people to the European Moot Court championships etc.
    You say that this emphasis on Law is going to isolate all the Arts students. How? Do you think that the 3400 members are going to turn away in disgust on fresher's week and refuse to join the Soc? The only reason the vast vast majority of those people join is to get the free stuff and to have a concessions card. Fact! Placing emphasis on law doesn't mean excluding Arts people, it means catering for Law students and people with an interest in Law, people the society are really neglecting at the moment!
    Mulrooney also has better ideas for getting people involved in debating. One of the reasons Law Soc debates don't fill out Theatres is because there is a perception that debating is a "closed shop" - this may not be true but Mulrooney's ideas make sure there will be no such perception. I go to loads of debates but its the same people who speak at them all the time. If you introduce more people the debates will attract bigger crowds and be more interesting.
    Fair play to Sean if he did propose the 30mins before the debate idea, pity he doesn't include it in his manifesto. Don't get me wrong I think Tracey's ideas are solid and I think had he run last year or the previous year he would have definately got my vote. Purely on both manifestos I have to go for Mulrooney. You think his ideas are ridiculous. Not really.
    Comedy Debate tutorials, Inter-University Law Soc, First week BBQ these are things that are really achievable.
    At the moment I'm going to stick with Mulrooney. I will listen to any arguments in favour of the other candidates and I caould be persuaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

i am an ordinary member of lawsoc, i'm in arts (therefore i constitute the average joe in lawsoc) and i have never heard of a moot court before this election campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

Barry, out of all three contenders, has the most experience when it comes to getting the best guests in. He's organised some top Law Soc events/debates during his time on the committee and as treasurer this year. There's no way his term as auditor could be anything but well organised and top class, in terms of entertainment value.

His manifesto also seems to be the best all-rounder, taking into account the needs of both the law students and other lawsoc members.

And good luck to him I say!

• Advertisement

Ok voting today from 11 to 4 in Roebuck and Arts!

My tip for the top is Barry Hickey!

Is that in both venues at the same time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

A news flash for all boards.ie members regarding the LawSoc elections in a attack against the electoral chances of Richard Mulrooney in the elections His eyecatching get rich or die trying posters were ripped down on the mall after the campus bookshop and leading up to the Students Centre this is an attack on the just process of democratic elections. They were ripped down so three times and after three times we put them back up as I'm part of Richie's campaign team having put up close to 150 posters for him.The people or person who did this have singled out Richard why because they know has a good chance as I said in thread number 3 and they are desperate to destroy his chances. That is absolutely the lowest of the low!!!!!

Oh Christ... does this stuff never end?!

/has flashbacks

NEWSFLASH

stop making unfounded insinuations Chakar. For the record, every one of Barry Hickey's posters on the concourse were also ripped down as were a fair number of Seán Treacy's. I was there and helped re-poster.

Also DramSoc posters were ripped. The rip did not seem to target any one individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

There are rips all the time. Usually it's services, sometimes just drunken idiots. I know it's frustrating but mostly it isnt malicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It could have a lot to do with RAG week too.

Besides, polls have now closed. And I honestly didn't even consider Richard a valid contender for the position. His work ethic as displayed by the debacle he initiated and his behaviour throughout leaves a lot to be desired. Both Barry and Sean had the plain cop on to follow the rules, but they didn't suit Richard, so he changed them to suit himself. That, to be honest, has the same unhealthy fragrance as that of brown envelopes and bribes on the current and former Irish political scene. It's like he re-zoned LawSoc to suit himself... that, if anything, is representative of dirty tactics.

Blush_01 wrote:

Besides, polls have now closed. And I honestly didn't even consider Richard a valid contender for the position. His work ethic as displayed by the debacle he initiated and his behaviour throughout leaves a lot to be desired. Both Barry and Sean had the plain cop on to follow the rules, but they didn't suit Richard, so he changed them to suit himself. That, to be honest, has the same unhealthy fragrance as that of brown envelopes and bribes on the current and former Irish political scene. It's like he re-zoned LawSoc to suit himself... that, if anything, is representative of dirty tactics.
    Dirty Tactics? What? Anytime there is a referendum it is to serve one's own ends. If there was a referendum to make abortion legal it would suit many people ends. Thats the way it works. Referenda don't just happen out of the blue where no-one has their own interest.
    As for dirty tactics. I find this a completely unfounded accusation. All he did was introduce a sensible amendment that would allow him run for auditor.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

So who won?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

Richie by around 50 votes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Yes!! I knew he would!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Diorraing wrote:
    Dirty Tactics? What? Anytime there is a referendum it is to serve one's own ends. If there was a referendum to make abortion legal it would suit many people ends. Thats the way it works. Referenda don't just happen out of the blue where no-one has their own interest.
    As for dirty tactics. I find this a completely unfounded accusation. All he did was introduce a sensible amendment that would allow him run for auditor.

Jesus, did you miss what I was saying completely, or am I really that incomprehensible? Read Chakar's post in tandem with mine. Then see my point, and come back to me.

I knew Richie would win.Well this just compounds my point that it's populairty and not the best person for the job that wins in UCD elections.But perhaps I'm wrong and Richie would be a good lawsoc auditor.I think he's a nice bloke but he doesnt strike me as a competent auditor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

richie has organised huge events in the past - with a good committee he wud b fantastic

I don't know, he did exaggerate his involvement with Law/B&L Day and I haven't seen the greatest organisational skills from him.

Having said that I have lots of time for LawSoc and I wish him the best of luck and hope he continues in strengthening LawSoc

I hope he keeps Sean Tracey and Barry Hickey involved. Hopefully they can lend Richard their experience and together the society can flourish. If Richie does as he says and opens the doors of debating there is no reason why the Law Soc debates won't be bigger than the L&H's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Easygainer

Blush_01 wrote:

Good point - the candidate who didn't ahve the backing of previos auditors used his political savvy to muscle his way in???

Richard's work ethic and experience with Lawsoc can't be questioned. He has organised the best nights out not to mention innumerable little things (like the McDermott football cup and impromtu rugby matches). He has more experience than Barry Hickey and Sean Tracey having been a 1st year rep and on the committee for three years.

If anything, Mulrooney's victory was a vindication that the hacks don't control the societies. A mere oversight in forgetting to join should be forgotten when you've been deeply involved in the society...

PS Have you seen the committee he has organised? Very impressive.

Some but not all of it....can you post it? (or pm it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Tracey is treasurer afaik.
    (also richie was a class rep for 3 years)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Easygainer

TheVan wrote:
    Some but not all of it....can you post it? (or pm it!)

Richie's not dumb - he even created a new position. Here's what I gather so far...

Auditor: Richie
    Vice-auditor: Michael Clarke
    Treasurer: Sean Tracey
    Correspondence: Stephen Fagan (what a guy)
    Records: Daragh (think his surname is Connell)

While Richie is well able to handle ents, I think he has someone for that too, can't remember who though. A main problem highlighted at the AGM (not the EGM :D) was the underselling of tickets for nights out and I definitely think Richie will sort that...just look at the crew he gathered to vote and pass the EGM.

As for the more serious side, Sean Tracey is an excellent worker so will make up for any oversights of Richie, as will Michael Clarke who'll also attract better debaters for the IVs.

As for someone saying they'd never heard of the moot court, it's an exclusively Roebuck competition as it is law!!! (PS I won the UCD one so of course I'm going to plug it.

A few more committee positions are pending erasmus and llm application...

Advertisement