Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LawSoc Auditor for next year?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

panda100 wrote:
    Well this just compounds my point that it's populairty and not the best person for the job that wins in UCD elections

Heh..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Oh great, Daragh's on committee. Think my boyf will be on committee too, convenor or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

Easygainer wrote:
    As for someone saying they'd never heard of the moot court, it's an exclusively Roebuck competition as it is law!!! (PS I won the UCD one so of course I'm going to plug it.

You didn't explain it very well. What is it? Why is it called moot? What similarities does it have to a real court? What gets argued? How come we never hear of it in Arts (if they want an audience and concurrently bigger sponsers it would be handy informing the largest student body, dont ya think?)

What What What :confused:
    When When When :confused:
    Who Who Who :confused:
    How How How :confused:
    Why Why Why :confused:

Thankoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Easygainer

You didn't explain it very well. What is it? Why is it called moot? What similarities does it have to a real court? What gets argued? How come we never hear of it in Arts (if they want an audience and concurrently bigger sponsers it would be handy informing the largest student body, dont ya think?)

What What What :confused:
    When When When :confused:
    Who Who Who :confused:
    How How How :confused:
    Why Why Why :confused:

Thankoo!

Think of it this way - a moot point is one which has no grounding. What goes on in a moot court doesn't either :D It's basically a mock trial - 2 "counsel" each side argue as respondents and appellants. You're given a case and just take whatever side you're given.

The reason it was confined to Roebuck is because the topics can get very technical. It's not really like debating in the sense that the audience aren't at all involved (you have to face the judges the whole time).

I think they could make it more crowd friendly, though. The UCD final, for instance, was on civil partnership legislation (which we successfully proposed). However, the semis and quarters were both contract/commercial and the grand final (where Trinity beat us) was admin/echr...

This was also its first year so it has to gain momentum before we can expose it to the world! That said, it is already extremely prestigious. The judging panel for the final was Lord Hoffman (Privy Council), Hardiman and Geoghegan JJ (Supreme Court) and Budd, Finlay Geoghegan and Dunne JJ (High Court) - Hoffman was given a casting vote in case you were wondering!!!

Here is a link which also gives a basic overview of the competition http://www.lawsoc.ie/roebuck.htm although the Trinity site may be more informative. (FYI I'm the bigger guy with the skinhead).

If anyone wants, I could post up the questions from any of the rounds as I have them at hand (or I'm in the laptop area these days with the electronic devices ban!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

kudos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Yis got owned by Trinity... Heard the difference between the two sides was pretty embarrassing for UCD. At least that's what the mother said. (Who did law in UCD)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Def doing the Moot Court next year.....I predict a strong LawSoc next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Easygainer = Fagan?

It all makes sense now. Didn't know you could be on the lawsoc committe if you were finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Pythia wrote:
    Oh great, Daragh's on committee. Think my boyf will be on committee too, convenor or something?

but but but he's on the L&H...

(by the by not stalking ya, he's on my bebo mates so i just copped your other half thingy)

Yis got owned by Trinity... Heard the difference between the two sides was pretty embarrassing for UCD. At least that's what the mother said. (Who did law in UCD)

No. They won the actual case no problem, but in terms of speakers their second guy no way deserved to be on a winning team. (The judging was supposed to be on persuasiveness and content, not on who won the case...)

It was noted by Hoffman, and everyone, that the question was totally biased in their favour. The problems with this were:
    1) A Trinity lecturer wrote the question.
    2) The sides were picked before the question was written.

To give you an idea, we had to argue that there was no duty to investigate a death in the back of a prison van of a sex offender...

What does your mom work as?

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote:
    Easygainer = Fagan?

It all makes sense now. Didn't know you could be on the lawsoc committe if you were finished.

I'll be doing a masters next year... who's this?

Easygainer wrote:
    No. They won the actual case no problem, but in terms of speakers their second guy no way deserved to be on a winning team. (The judging was supposed to be on persuasiveness and content, not on who won the case...)

It was noted by Hoffman, and everyone, that the question was totally biased in their favour. The problems with this were:
    1) A Trinity lecturer wrote the question.
    2) The sides were picked before the question was written.

To give you an idea, we had to argue that there was no duty to investigate a death in the back of a prison van of a sex offender...

What does your mom work as?

I'll be suitably vague and point out she's a 'lawyer' of some kind. :p

I'll be suitably vague and point out she's a 'lawyer' of some kind. :p

OK - just that 2 judges and a few lecturers disagreed with the decision ;)

I can understand her thinking it was onesided in terms of who won, but, like debating, it's the best argument, not the winning side, that wins which is why it wasn't "embarrassing".

Fair enough. Hopefully UCD'll improve anyway.

Darren P from your year.(the P is for privacy)

elmyra wrote:
    but but but he's on the L&H...

(by the by not stalking ya, he's on my bebo mates so i just copped your other half thingy)

Oh, well I don't know. Think he may jump ship again.
    I'm not into the Lawsoc/L&H thing myself...

*goes to boyf's friend list to find elmyra*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Pythia wrote:

Its sooo easy to find everyone on BEBO-i found pythia after one little click-not that I was looking:o Dont like your boyf saying he enjoys arguments with lefty simpletons...all the leftys I know are far from simpletons(except for seb the bum:) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Ok at the risk of expressing an interest how do you find anyone on bebo, do you just scroll down endless lists of photographs:confused:
    After the speeches at the lawsoc Dirk Benedict thing, which were the most right wing speakers I've heard in UCD, I don't think Lawsoc people should be throwing stones. Though IMO youth politics is a bit of a haven for simpeltons:p, the people I know notwithstanding!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

panda100 wrote:
    Its sooo easy to find everyone on BEBO-i found pythia after one little click-not that I was looking:o Dont like your boyf saying he enjoys arguments with lefty simpletons...all the leftys I know are far from simpletons(except for seb the bum:) )

*goes to find the rest of the boards crew via panda

Pythia wrote:

well I'm a crafty type, I don't use Elmyra on bebo...it's originalshin if you're incredibly interested!

• Advertisement

Ah, don't worry, I found you about 2 minutes after I posted that.
    D says hello by the way!

Pythia wrote:
    Ah, don't worry, I found you about 2 minutes after I posted that.
    D says hello by the way!

Hi D! Tell him to come to my Games Day, you're welcome to as well if you like!

On Topic: So, LawSoc Auditor, eh?

someone should setup a bebo group on ucd so I can silently judge you all.

Sangre wrote:
    someone should setup a bebo group on ucd so I can silently judge you all.

And us, you, of course.

of course they all have lovely bottoms

Advertisement