Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy pizza dough in Dublin?

• 16-02-2006 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Im cooking again this weekend and found a great recipe for a calzone, its a double cheese with proscuitto calzone. thing is i need to get pizza dough ... I was just down to tesco this evening looking for pizza dough but to no avail...

Does anyone know of a shop in Dublin to buy pizza dough?!

Thank you ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

hmmm well i found a recipe that does sound easy,

is beer an unusual ingredient?!!

recipe for pizza dough

anybody know where i can get my hands on pre made pizza dough??

ive tried ringing a few places like an italian deli, listons on camden st, and a bakery but no avail...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Pizza dough isn't tricky to make, google for some results and go and buy some yeast and flower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've never seen it here in Ireland, but in other countries in the past I've bought ready made pizza dough made by an American company called Pillsbury. It came refrigerated in little foil lined cardboard tubes, and wasn't that bad if you were in a hurry. They did croissants, danish pastries, puff pastry and some other stuff as well IIRC. I've never seen it in any of the supermarkets here, although you never know. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

thanks gordon if its easy i may give it a try, i was hoping to by-pass that part though.... ;)

thanks alun, thats the brand i had used in the states too, couldnt think of the name of it, i wonder if there are any american speciality shops here, i might give a flick through the golden pages... :v:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Buy it from a pizza take away! I once cooked for a date and didn't have the veg I needed. All the shops were shut so I bought carrots, onions and a bulb of garlic from the local chinese take away. I presume that a pizza take away will do the same if you ask nicely! You could even buy it and freeze it.

Pizza dough is like alot of things. It's easy to do but hard to do very well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

buy a cheep pizza in tesco, they've hardly any toppings on anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Very easy. You can buy dried yeast in the supermarket, which will do. Instructions on the pack. It's also therapeutic kneading the dough. Anything left-over you can turn into some nice rolls or a bread stick for garlic bread. :p
    Beer gives a slight sour taste to the base, but adds to it.
    Recommend strong white flour, better flavour.

P.S. Don't put too much salt in, wicked :(

Ta!
    making the pizza dough: got a recipe on epicurious.com (nice site) its v. sticky though, but ive just put it in a bowl and put a lid lightly on it and have left it for about an hour so far, its really rising so it looks ok.
    i put my finger on it and its a bit sticky... hope thats ok? its quite elasticy too.. well i hope for the best
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Sounds OK. You usually have to punch it out twice. Pizza dough is easy to make, but the waiting is a killer. In Naples they replace the sugar with honey traditionally, which may be why it's noted for the best pizza. HST, I'd have asked my local 4star or Domino for a roll of dough. Fair play to you for making your own!

• Advertisement

cheers nipplenuts :) it turned out great (if i do say so myself!)
    ill be cooking calzone again. it was actually fairly easy to make the pizza dough, the recipe was just flour yeast bit of salt and warm water! yeah waiting for it to rise was the longest part, the lid actually popped off the bowl halfway through the rising part!
    i guess the dough is supposed to be sticky like that, its not like normal bread dough at all.
    well i will definatley be giving it a go again :v: :v: :v: really enjoyed the calzone and compliments all round for it too ;) hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It doesn't have to be sticky , usually the dough I make is the same as bread dough and would be drier than what you've described. Yes it doubles in size. A greased plastic bag on top is better when it expands.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I saw what might be ready made pizza dough in the Italian shop in the Italian quarter on the quays by Jervis St in Dublin the other day.

I say might be, there was a box in the window with a picture of a pizza on it, but the rest of the wording was Italian. Maybe have a look in there anyway.

Advertisement