Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts block co-op

Options
  • 16-02-2006 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

Hey-just wondering if anyone decided to boycott the arts cafe today-there was these red and white posters up everywhere about it??

I for one didnt,cos I think the arts cafe runs the best service on campus.It is opened almost till 10 every night,on the weekends and during the summer hols(great for reapeat students!) When ever I'm doing a long hard slog in the library I often go down to hilpers for a break at around half 8 in the evening cos its the onlly placed open.
    If you compare this to the grind,which is opened for about four hours during peak times from monday to friday,then of course the arts cafe has to raise its prices slightly.The grind is opened at lunch hours only for maximum profit.There is often only abut 4 people in hilpers at around half8 but its a service that students studying in the library need.The grind and other outlets such as the restaurant only have to pay staff for normal working hours,during the week.The hilpers staff have to work evenings and weekends.I hope the mini protest today doesnt mean that hilpers will have to cut back its hours and shut down on the weekends in order to give us 60cent of our coffee.Hilpers is invaluble to those who study in the library,on the weekend and late into the night.

Dunno,this is the way I look at the co-op,what do others think?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Well the question is are Hilpers profiteering or not? Yes they're open 'till late, and so are 911 if i'm not mistaken (although I would choose Hilpers defo over 911). However their quality is mediocre for the price you pay, compared to for example Insomnia.

On the whole I think that a long hard look needs to be taken at the way in which all commercial establishments operate in UCD. Maybe the SU or somebody else need to sit down and start a pressure-group to deal with rip off pricing on campus in general. Compared to trinners where outlets near campus compete on price, UCD is fair game, because let's face it none of us are getting on the 46A to get our coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

panda100 wrote:
    I for one didnt,cos I think the arts cafe runs the best service on campus.It is opened almost till 10 every night,on the weekends and during the summer hols(great for reapeat students!) When ever I'm doing a long hard slog in the library I often go down to hilpers for a break at around half 8 in the evening cos its the onlly placed open.
    If you compare this to the grind,which is opened for about four hours during peak times from monday to friday,then of course the arts cafe has to raise its prices slightly.The grind is opened at lunch hours only for maximum profit.There is often only abut 4 people in hilpers at around half8 but its a service that students studying in the library need.The grind and other outlets such as the restaurant only have to pay staff for normal working hours,during the week.The hilpers staff have to work evenings and weekends.I hope the mini protest today doesnt mean that hilpers will have to cut back its hours and shut down on the weekends in order to give us 60cent of our coffee.Hilpers is invaluble to those who study in the library,on the weekend and late into the night.

I can't believe this. Hilpers are gangsters who try to squeeze every last cent out of students. I bought a snack bar once and I was charged over 80 cents. That's f*cked up right there. Even buying something like a banana requires about a euro. I hate them.

I want to see that shop out of business. They exploit students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I can't believe this. Hilpers are gangsters who try to squeeze every last cent out of students. I bought a snack bar once and I was charged over 80 cents. That's f*cked up right there. Even buying something like a banana requires about a euro. I hate them.

I want to see that shop out of business. They exploit students.
    Buy your snack bar and banana in a shop and you won't pay café prices. The SU ownes about half the businesses on campus. If hilpers are profiteering it shouldn't be too difficult to undercut them. The basic choice I have is that I can get a cup of instant coffee for 90c from the SU or a cup of nice coffee for 1.50 in hilpers. I'm happy enough with that choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 getyourENDAway

its a total rip off, people who go in are even worse for supporting them, i think we should stop going in,that is the only way they will listen.

Fair play to lads for organising it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

John_C wrote:
    Buy your snack bar and banana in a shop and you won't pay café prices. The SU ownes about half the businesses on campus. If hilpers are profiteering it shouldn't be too difficult to undercut them. The basic choice I have is that I can get a cup of instant coffee for 90c from the SU or a cup of nice coffee for 1.50 in hilpers. I'm happy enough with that choice.
    Nice coffee?

You're 'avin a larf mate. It's just brown an' fcukin' water...

Got a lovely cuppa coffee from the SU co-op for bout 80c today.
    Now that's a bargain right there. As Enda said, fair play to the lads for organisin' it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I've hardly ever bought anything from the Arts Cafe. A yoghurt twice, maybe a Danish once. I don't drink coffee or tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

The coffee in the arts cafe is poor quality charged a top prices. That 1:50 cup filter coffee is the cheapest on the market. And its a disgrace that they charge those prices for expresso based coffee from a machine in a paper cup. Arts Cafe have some cheek but whats worse is the customers who pump it full of money anyway.

SebtheBum wrote:
    Nice coffee?

You're 'avin a larf mate. It's just brown an' fcukin' water.
    Well I quite like it but we each have our own tastes. There's plenty of choice on campus so we can each get our favourite. Hilpers does seem to be quite popular so they're obviously doing something right.

John_C wrote:
    Hilpers does seem to be quite popular so they're obviously doing something right.
    Location location and Ucd students. Most of them have more Euros then brains

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I've used in once in all my time in UCD. (Since September). I used it more before I came here.

• Advertisement

I've used in once in all my time in UCD. (Since September). I used it more before I came here.
    Used? You make it sound like an illegal narcotic...

I mean I know going to Hilpers evokes feelings of helpless middle-class guilt and almost illicit pleasure, but that's just ridiculous...

Its like a cross between old bewleys, old kylemore, my grannies kitchen.

The funny thing is the stuff from the Co-op stand is better then the **** from the cafe. I never once seen them clean those machines.

Grimes wrote:
    Location location and Ucd students. Most of them have more Euros then brains
    There's probably an element of truth to that. I never went there when I was an undergrad but now that I'm a grant sponging postgrad I'm in a couple of times a week.

I do genuinely think it's very tastey though. I'm based in the eng block so it's not exactly my local but whenever myself and the lads are going for coffee that's usually where we head.

The co-op is a good idea but I think that selling good quality cheap coffee from the SU shops & bars would be better in the long term.

I think what they are saying is the prices are to high for the standards in Arts cafe. They charge above manual expresso prices for the (in my opinion devil created) instant expresso beans cutting out all the quality and labour costs..... Its like charging Parker prices for a Bic Biro and watching people que to pay for it.

It pains me... PAINS ME . I die a little when i see people pay for that plop

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There's nothing wrong with Hilper's' prices on coffee. It's got a good kick to it, and it's only €1.50 a cup. Nothing would make me give up my 3-5 cups of coffee a day in there.

The only real issue is that the sandwiches etc are well over-priced. That's not really something I think the SU should be wasting time and money on. If somebody feels that the sandwiches there are too expensive, they have the choice to go elsewhere.

Frankly, the SU should butt out and let economics work their course like in the real world. That way they can focus their resources on real issues like education and students.

Lotsa ppl complain about the sandwich prices, but I think that's a non-starter.

Spar Sandwiches in City Centre: 3.95
    Equivalent sandwich at Hilpers: 4.00

Spar: City Centre, competition from Centra, Londis, Epicurean Food Hall
    Hilpers: Competition from SU manky-mc-mank sandwiches and In-Breach-Of-Public-Health-Act Restaurant/Canteen

I rest my case.

Not to mention the frequent BLTs without any Bs.

I love me €4 tomato sambos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Overpriced- Arts cafe, its not even up for debate.

Far play to the lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Use the café because I drink coke and its a handy/only place for me to get it. However they wouldnt honour my winning labels (3 that were off bottles I had bought in the café!) wont be going back in a hurry considering a shop in town gave me the three free bottles despite me never being in it before.

I dont drink coffee or tea so wouldnt know about quality etc. but being open late doesnt seem to be an excuse for the descriptions my friends have made of the coffeee thats sold at high, high prices. Fair play to cheaper stuff people.

and they made a packet aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

yeah i bought some coffee off Enda, fair play to the lad and the rest of the gang. Having said that Hilpers was as crammed as ever at lunch time, even with some punters adorned with the 'Fight the Rip off' label. Bizarre.

Having said that, I do go in for a couple of coffees every single day. Only way to stay awake in some of the lectures....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i go in to rob plastic spoons for my yoghurts. if im stuck in later than i expect i'll buy a sambo, but everything is overpriced, and half the time the banana's are so green they arent edible! then they go charging you 70cents for a tiny one when they probably buy them for that price a kilo!!
    its too expensive to buy anything on campus tbh. i bring my own lunch with me every day. speaking of which i should go make my sambo for tomorrow now...

Do you have to pay for milk in the Arts cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

has anyone else noticed how about half of the su shop on the ground floor of the library building is not really used, if they were so concerned about students paying high prices why not open an su coffee shop at the back of the current shop where one can get take away coffee at a low price and sit in the seats outside the shop (same as hilpers tbh) and if they did so it wud be more convienent for those in the library and more central seen as its en route to student centre, ag science, building, science building, sports centre etc!!! use your heads and quit talking from your hole ucdsu

you can in fact get tea/coffee in the SU shops for 1 euro i think. but yeah the machine's in a very inaccessible position. maybe if they had a couple of them in a more easy-to-get-at part of the shop it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

If you want something, you have to pay for it. Yes, we're students, but we have a choice as to what we do. If you want Hilper's coffee and tea at Hilper's prices, do that. If you don't, go to the SU, 911, Mick Donnells, Insomnia, one of the bars - nobody is forcing your hand. But for fúck sake, grow the hell up. Just because we're students doesn't mean we're entitled to everything at cost price. Think the SU doesn't make a profit on what it sells in the SU shops?

If you were that serious about saving money, you'd bring a flask of tea or coffee in to college, or invest in your own kettle. You'd make your own sandwiches, bring in your own fruit, chocolate etc. So it's not about the money, it's about making a political issue out of something that's not really that big a deal. You don't like Hilper's? Don't bloody shop there! It really IS that simple.

I wouldnt see a problem id Hilpers gave a good quality service for the price they are charging. And the staff (manager really) dosnt make any friends with any of the customers in his attitude

i've never encountered this guy - what's his deal?

i think the SU are entitled to compete with private enterprises on cost reasons and shouldn't be in any way hampered by the college. the SU shops are cheaper for almost everything than any of their compeditors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Excellent post Blush, couldn't agree with you more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

Grimes wrote:
    I wouldnt see a problem id Hilpers gave a good quality service for the price they are charging. And the staff (manager really) dosnt make any friends with any of the customers in his attitude
    well grimes tbh i dont think he is there to make friends! i doubt any of us wud be happy bunnies if we were workin there!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement