Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring domain,

Options
  • 16-02-2006 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of transferring my .net domain name from my old provider: purely for the warm fuzzy feeling of having my domain with a large company that would be less likely to go bankrupt etc .... (my current crowd have changed their name/website twice in the last few years - I worry that they are not making a lot and may go under)

I have been using domainshack.com (previously cheapestregistry.com) for the princely sum of $9/year ... and was planning on going to fxdomains.com (the same price but they give a year registration free to people transferring to them)

In the interests of looking at what I could have if money was not an issue I took a look at enom's pricing .... its nearly 4 times the cost of my current provider, that must be a pretty damn good interface they have to justify the big markup

So.... what is the argument FOR enom or any of the other big names that also charge ~$30? are they very popular because they have a nice easy way for resellers to add a few $ or € or £ to enom's (or other registrars) price and make a few quid? is it better for me, the person with the family webserver/email server to go with them?

Personally, I'm leaning towards fxdomains and signing up for 5 or 6 years with them..... but anyone with any better ideas post em here. Bearing in mind that I'm only interested in companies that are likely to be around for the long term and are cheep cheep cheep ....

Just for the record I am not affiliated with any anyone or any company that has anything to do with domain names and I would prefer if the "use an Irish provider because they uhhh..... have a number in Ireland and are really .. uhhh nice people and they only cost double or treble what you are paying now" posts were left out .... I have my email/webserver running on an old celeron laptop and its fine for the low usage it gets ... hidden away in a cupboard so no-one plays around with it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

BigEejit wrote:
    I have been using domainshack.com (previously cheapestregistry.com) for the princely sum of $9/year ... and was planning on going to fxdomains.com (the same price but they give a year registration free to people transferring to them)

fxdomains.com is just a reseller hosted on hosteurope.com from what I can se. Look at some of the Irish hosters like H365, Blacknight, Novara, Letshost etc.
    Bearing in mind that I'm only interested in companies that are likely to be around for the long term and are cheep cheep cheep ....
    Cheap companies are not likely to be around in a few years time. They are always the first to fail because their profits rarely cover their costs unless they are very large operations.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I have been looking into fxdomains and they seem to have no affiliation to hosteurope.com (which is now owned by Pipex) ...

But I was looking for a company that are known to be large and found that godaddy.com are very large with >8 million domains registered with them ... and they seem to have good rates too ...

Any other cheap, large domain registration companies out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

BigEejit wrote:
    I have been looking into fxdomains and they seem to have no affiliation to hosteurope.com (which is now owned by Pipex) ...

Odd that they are on one of their IP ranges then .....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

BigEejit wrote:
    Well my view of things would be somewhat different to the average view since I see the stats for all hosters in com/net/org/biz/info/ie. As a hoster, fxdomains.com does not seem to operate its own nameservers and is basically a reseller of the services of larger hosters.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I've been arround using different companies for domains and hosting, until few years (about 2) back when I came accross www.Blacknight.ie

Never looked back since then - prompt on solving any problems which is what I was looking for. That could say a lot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement