Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM Card Charge

Options
  • 16-02-2006 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I have a minor Current Account with AIB ('Teenlink') and in January I was charged the ATM Card Government Levy. Should I be charged for this as it's supposed to be 'zero charges' banking for minors?

Just wondering... I thought I saw it mentioned when the AIB overcharging debacle hit the headlines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I think it's the same with all cards/accounts that claim "no charges" - they mean they don't charge; but that the government levy still applies. Check the T&C on their site?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Government levy applies to ALL types of accounts, unfortunately. Its no gain to the bank... just our government. What id like to know is, what do WE get from paying the tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As already pointed out the levy applies to everyone. Some banks used to absorb the cost of the levy for minors/students in the past. I'm not sure if any do this any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

They complain about debt and bill us for every little thing we do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Psychedelik

JohnCleary wrote:
    What id like to know is, what do WE get from paying the tax

I don't know.. a clear conscience? :confused:

I for one never throw ATM receipts away - and anyway, it's biodegradable isn't it? It's only paper! Chewing gum, now that does harm the environment and looks unsightly. Levy on chewing gum? Oh no - too much of a 'lobby group'! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Mr.E old

I got my Second Level account with Bank of Ireland today. Apparently, they're the only bank in the country that pays the fee each month.

It was one hell of a hassle to get the account, but after reading the fine print, I think it was worth it.

Advertisement