Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

buying a car:what should I look for in the paperwork

Options
  • 16-02-2006 10:51pm

Hi all,
    I'm buying my first car and to be honest me and the gf are lost! We've more or less settled on a 98 alfa romeo 156,getting it checked by a mechanic 2mow and if he gives the thumbs up then we'll purchase.
    But what should I be looking for in the logbook? Is there anything in particular it should or shouldnt say??
    Ta,
    Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Each relevant service schedule in the manual should be stamped, and the details of any major changes (timing belt, oil, etc) written in, along with the mileage when the service was done.

Have a look at the licensing cert too and make sure that the number of owners tallies with what they've told you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

In regards to paperwork: Not much

If the owner claims to have a FSH, check that the books are stamped
    On the log book, check the amount of previous owners, make sure that the current owners claim length of ownership matches the log book.
    I guess you could compare Chassis/VIN numbers, but chances are all is legit.

One thing though, make sure you trust the mechanic

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

And make sure it's had cambelts recently. Alfa 156s are great cars, but they need cambelts every 36k and they're not cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

do a search, I was going to buy one of these and posted up a message and got great feedback about whats good and whats bad about the 156.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

make sure the car goes into reverse easily,

• Advertisement
Advertisement