Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scaffolding need not be so expensive.....

Options
  • 16-02-2006 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Lads,

I bought a wad of scaffolding when we built our new house last year; enough to build a 2 large storey hse with gables!!!
    Now that its down, its just stacked in the yard....

Would anybody be interested in the hire of it?
    I could deliver it to your site and I'll not look for near
    the mad charges the large firms want.

Any body interested in the use of this?

GMD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Gmd,

I'm all for enterprise as many who post here can verify, just a note of caution if you supply scaffolding for hire it must be erected by Card Holding Scaffolders.

I am not an expert on the law but I expect if there is any problem / injury be it to the public or to person who hires from you their employees or agents (tradesmen and labourers) you could lose your house and the possibility of owning another for a looong time.

For what it's worth my advice is sell it on or get yourself full insurance cover and a scaffolders ticket.

The same applies to any Self Builder, the rules and regulations regarding scaffolding are so strict make sure your policy covers use of your own scaffolding.

Chances are it's excluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rusty Knight

The regulations governing scaffolding are strict and in the event of a claim involving scaffolding, compliance with both the Approved Code of Practice for Scaffolding, and the Manufacturers Specifications are examined and referenced in great detail.

If you still intend to go ahead with this business idea, you should, as Pete said, aquire a ticket (level 1 at least) if you are erecting scaffolding yourself.

Perhaps you can supply the scaffolding and subcontract the actual erection of same to a ticketed person, all necessary insurances in place, of course.

If the insurance cost doesn't turn out to be too high, you may have hit on a sound idea. You appear to know what the large companies are charging:eek: for supply and erect - so much that the majority of one off and self builds are built using the blocklayers bits of scaffold/trestles with tar barrels etc etc. Very few trades/small operators have a scaffolders ticket, and they are under increasing pressure from insurance underwriters and HSA to get one or use a scaffolding subcontractor. With the amount of construction going on, the established scaffolding company's are happy to deal with developments only -one offs don't particularly interest them at the moment.

Worth researching - let us know how it turns out.

Rusty

Hi,

To expand on Rusty's post, despite having a health and safety statement that is getting to the point it looks like a provincial telephone book, there is still an exclusion clause in my policy that states I or my employess (blah blah) are not covered to erect scaffolding.

After a lot of haggling my broker managed to get cover for temporary aluminium scaffold towers, again more clauses to the point where the cover is practically non existant.

My one consolation is the cover is just enough to allow me keep my home should the worst happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 G.M.D.

hi lads,
    thanks for your comments!
    yes, they are valid concerns that i've looked into.

i dont intend on offering an 'erecting service' due to no ticket, available labour or time for same...
    But i can get some one with 'all the above' to erect if a hirer wants!

the insurance side of things is collasil so cant afford that..... will have to sub that out for now.

i might sell it off as you say and quit while i'm ahead...... i wonder would any one be interested.

will see after; i have had a few enquiries now and one guy needs some in a few weeks so we'll see then......

cheers
    gmd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

can i ask what the main contractors charge to erect scaffolding. how do they charge, is it by height or width, or both?
    what does scaffolding actually cost to buy?
    i know a young guy who just bought a fully loaded new 530 diesel and hes only been in the business a couple of years.

• Advertisement

Hi lomb,

I get each job priced as I need it, the difference in prices are not so much between contractors but seem to rise on an almost daily basis.

As to the 530 there are a lot of the younger guys who get mixed up between turnover and profit, one bad job and all can be lost overnight.

I know a roofer who recently took delivery of his Rolls Royce ;) No Kidding, his problems are waiting further down the line because he has sub contractors mixed up with PRSI.

All is not always as good as it appears ;) but I hope they enjoy it while it lasts.

Some Hire Firms charge scaffolding by the M2,
    Most that I know charge 'so much' per piece.

thats to say 500 pieces @ Eur1.00 per piece per wk = Eur 500/wk.
    I am charging from Eur0.50 to 0.75 at moment for jobs.....
    depending on how far I have to travel and how much is involved.
    I think its a pretty good rate, what do you think.

GMD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YAPP

please quote to supply scaffold to our next self build.

tf kit due on 20-Mar-06.

dims as follows.
    back = 11.300m wide
    RHS = 7.600m long
    LHS= 8.800m long
    Front is staggered with an outshot
    Front=4.40m + in 0.400m + 2.500m+ in .80m +4.30m.
    Kind of an L shape.
    Storey and a half.
    FFL on GF to eaves on back is 3.30m with gables each end,

in Sligo area.
    much appreciated.

S

92no 9'9' Uprights
    144no 8' rails/ledgers
    80no 4' transoms
    150no planks (this will elt you away, let me know if you need more planks)
    46no adjustable base jacks
    16no 12' diagional braces
    10no 20' pole braces
    1no 20' ladder
    20no dbl couplers

thats the best, let me know what you think...
    where's you site? have you forks to unload or is a handball effort?

G.M.D.
    G-M-D@hotmail.co.uk

Advertisement