Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

isdn router + wireless bridge

Options
  • 17-02-2006 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi,

Hope someone can answer this for me !

I need to setup a wireless network for three pcs to share the internet independantly. The problem is NO BB, so what I was proposing was to take an ISDN 4 port router and plug a linksys ethernet bridge into one of the ports.

My thinking is that the ISDN router will dial on demand and assign ip address' to the connected PCs via the ethernet bridge.

anyone any idea if this will work?

any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I think you'd need an access point instead of a bridge, but apart from that, you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Yeah Crumble - that'll work. Before BB was available to me I used that setup and it worked really well. At one point I was able to use both ISDN channels if I needed to (though I shudder to think what I was paying at the time).

You should be able to pick up an ISDN router on eBay. Might be cheaper to get a non-wireless one and then add a wireless access point. That way when you are able to get BB you can continue to use the wirless AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

Hi Crumble, di that work 4 you? I'm in exactly the same situation. I've got an ISDN router(4 port) upstairs with my PC but my laptop has wireless built in. I want to connect wirelessly to the router. Is it as simple as buying a wireless bridge? What device did you buy??

Thanks

Lars

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Crumble

TBH I gave up on the idea for a while and then events overtook me and BB became available in the area in question, so Im afraid I never got to roadtest the idea.

Still cant see any reason why it wouldnt work tho.

Sorry I cant be of more help!

Sean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Crumble wrote:
    Hi,

Hope someone can answer this for me !

I need to setup a wireless network for three pcs to share the internet independantly. The problem is NO BB, so what I was proposing was to take an ISDN 4 port router and plug a linksys ethernet bridge into one of the ports.

My thinking is that the ISDN router will dial on demand and assign ip address' to the connected PCs via the ethernet bridge.

anyone any idea if this will work?

any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

As Tomk says... I had that very same set up before adsl..worked great ..one thing to watch out for is to not rely on the routers self timer for disconnection as msn or anti virus or literelly anything will make another connection.(bigger phone bill) Insted use the connect disconnect feature in the config page.
    also be good idea to get eircom flat rate or some such
    i have a couple of isdn routers if your interested..pm me

• Advertisement
Advertisement