Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to leave eircom for smart

• 17-02-2006 1:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭

lo
    I had a eircom account with broadband, when smart came out i signed up as it works out much cheaper especially with the free line rental.
    All seemed fine until i started getting a bill from smart with line rental and a bill from eircom for my broadband.
    Of course i rang smart and they told me that the whitehall exchange hadnt been unbundled at the time so they could not transfer my bb to smart.
    K, bit pissed off that they didnt tell me this when i signed up, but i decided to keep paying both till the exchange was available.
    After 2 months or they finally told me that the whitehall exchange was now available, so great i thought, now they can transfer my bb to my smart account, er no
    Appartenly eircom wont release the line?, now smart is telling me i have transfer my account back to eircom, then after a month or so i can reapply to smart again to try and transfer my account again.

Has others had problems like this, it just seems very messed up but i cant believe i have to go back to eircom just so i can leave again?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Skatedude wrote:
    lo
    I had a eircom account with broadband, when smart came out i signed up as it works out much cheaper especially with the free line rental.
    All seemed fine until i started getting a bill from smart with line rental and a bill from eircom for my broadband.
    Of course i rang smart and they told me that the whitehall exchange hadnt been unbundled at the time so they could not transfer my bb to smart.
    K, bit pissed off that they didnt tell me this when i signed up, but i decided to keep paying both till the exchange was available.
    After 2 months or they finally told me that the whitehall exchange was now available, so great i thought, now they can transfer my bb to my smart account, er no
    Appartenly eircom wont release the line?, now smart is telling me i have transfer my account back to eircom, then after a month or so i can reapply to smart again to try and transfer my account again.

Has others had problems like this, it just seems very messed up but i cant believe i have to go back to eircom just so i can leave again?

Firstly it is the case that you have to transfer back to Eircom before Smart can give you broadband - it is mad but its Ireland you are living in. so best to set it in motion as quickly as possible so that you can start saving money.

However it is interesting to read what you say about signing up for Smart initially - did you apply to sign up for their telephone service or did you just submit your application for broadband? If you just applied for broadband they should never have signed you for the telephone service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

lo
    I've already started the transfer back to eircom, just waiting for the mandate form in the post, i am looking forward to telling eircom to shove it when i leave again.

As for signing up my broadband for smart, i had just got the bb upgraded to 2 meg at the time so i asked to make sure that when i moved my bb that it would still be 2 meg, as well as caps etc.
    Their excuse later was "sorry you wernt told that bb wasnt available at the time and they assured my that many other people had similer problems when signing up, and that people got fired because of the fiasco"

i doubt that any1 got fired but i do believe they messed up, one problem with dealing over the phone, they also refused to give me their address when i told them i wanted to come "talk to them in person" to sort it.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is this 'after a month you can sign to Smart' from the time they eventually switch you back to Eircom?

I'm trying to go from UTV to Smart and old biddy Eircom only just told me this would take four weeks - so do I have to wait ANOTHER four weeks after they eventually transfer me before I can switch to Smart?

Is there any other country in the world where you would be forced to spend time on the books of a company you despise and be at their behest to move to the desired company?

spurious wrote:
    Is this 'after a month you can sign to Smart' from the time they eventually switch you back to Eircom?

I'm trying to go from UTV to Smart and old biddy Eircom only just told me this would take four weeks - so do I have to wait ANOTHER four weeks after they eventually transfer me before I can switch to Smart?

Is there any other country in the world where you would be forced to spend time on the books of a company you despise and be at their behest to move to the desired company?

having made the same journey painfully I can agree with you - the time really depends on your situation with UTV - if you dont have your line rental with them it should be 'easier'. If you do you have to bring your account back to Eircom - as Smart need an account number and a 'cease' number or whaterver they call it for Eircom before they can begin the transfer.

UTV require a months notice make sure they follow up on getting dsl off the line as that was a major delay in my moving to Smart - so give UTV your bb notice - if necessary contact Eircom and tell them you wish to bring your calls and or line rental back to them - they will then set up a new account for you - (only necessary if the line rental was transfered) get the new account number off them as quickly as possible - get the 'cease' number from UTV.

See its very easy!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Carl at UTV did me a favour by getting the DSL off the line within a week of my cancelling things. This was to try hurry things up as much as they could from their end.

It's bloody Eircom are holding me up - just because they can. I'm waiving my cooling off period for Smart, but still have to sit around til those shower in Eircom manage to click the few buttons it needs to transfer me.

Argh.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote:
    Carl at UTV did me a favour by getting the DSL off the line within a week of my cancelling things. This was to try hurry things up as much as they could from their end.

It's bloody Eircom are holding me up - just because they can. I'm waiving my cooling off period for Smart, but still have to sit around til those shower in Eircom manage to click the few buttons it needs to transfer me.

Argh.

What exactly is the delay now? Have you passed your Eircom account number and your 'UTV' cease number to Smart?

I don't have an Eircom account number yet - the biddy said I 'might' have it by the end of the month. She said 'it's the law' that they take at least four weeks.

I have a UAN number and a cancellation code from UTV.
    I rang Smart again yesterday and was told since I had a UAN and a cancellation code I don't need to transfer back to Eircom at all. (?)

Now I'm completely confused, and Smart don't answer phones on a weekend.

Advertisement