Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finnish Metal (extreme)

• 17-02-2006 6:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Ok we had:

Swedish Melodeath,

Norwegian Black

and now there seems a host of quality Finnish bands about at the moment.
    Highlights for me are:

Kalmah - Melodic Death\Black...new album "The Black Waltz2 out 22\2\06

Ensiferum - Folk metal...absolute quality

Wintersun - Debut album "Wintersun" - speed\folk\death\black. Wintersun are simply amazing. The best band I have heard in quite some time. Absolute supreme musicianship. Two guys made the album. One guy on vocals guitar bass keyboards (Jari Mäenpää ex Ensiferum) and the other guy ( Kai Hahto) is the best drummer in metal bar none imo (Hoglan included).
    You can download a full song entitled "beautiful death" (slow-ish tune)from the drummers site http://www.kaihahto.com/ (bottom of page). check out his drum solo vids also.

Anyway anyone who likes metal should check em out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

ya, finnish metal is great. i'm actually living in Oulu at the moment and there's a fairly good scene here. Amorphis are playing in a local pub next month, can't wait!

you should check out the finnish bands Moonsorrow and Insomnium, great stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Try Kingston Wall or Don Huenot
    Not exactly metal but really really good,
    Kinda like Led Zeppelin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I know Kalmah, really like them.

What about Finntroll, they're class too. They sound like a circus/ritual sacrifice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

Yep, all excellent bands. Just listening to Ensiferum's latest - Dragonheads. It's pretty good.

How about Korpiklanni?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

You cant forget that Wintersun is pretty much just the singer from Einserferum doing his own thing (and better than Einserferum I might add, their good, wintersun are better), so pretty good backround to start from.

Cant forget Children of Bodom either.

However for Finnish music in general, Sonata Arctica are a worthy mention too, and Terásbetoni for sheer cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Sonata Arctica roxxor, are they Finnish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

if your talking finnnish black Melodic metal you got to metion MOONSORROW.. what a band.. anyone heard of them or are they still pretty unheard of still.. i got most of my friends into them but their cds still havent been seen in the shops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Indeed, I heard Wintersun - Beyond The Dark Sun on the Metal Hammer CD a month or two ago and it was fantastic, must pick up the album at some stage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

i was gonna bring up Bodom, Finntroll & Moonsorrow. didnt realise Sonata Arctica were Finnish. if people havent heard Moonsorrow, id recommend em; good viking metal, all their lyrics are in Finnish, and they have a tendancy for Opeth-length songs.

www.moonsorrow.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I think Lordi have a new album coming out this year. Now that's Finnish metal worth dancing to. :D

Katsokaa!!!
    007.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Oeneus wrote:
    I think Lordi have a new album coming out this year. Now that's Finnish metal worth dancing to. :D

Katsokaa!!!
    Hell yeah! \m/
    The new album is called The Arockalypse and they are also entering the Finnish heats for the Eurovision Song Contest!

Eurovision? Oh god.

Nightwish entered it once. Funnily enough they won the public vote but still didn't get into the final competition. Not quite sure how that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

Arucard wrote:
    Moonsorrow; good viking metal, all their lyrics are in Finnish, and they have a tendancy for Opeth-length songs.

pfft.. they invented opeth-length songs. have you heard they're newest album? the song on that, "Jotunheim" runs for 19.26 minutes.

though they are very hard to find their albums in shops here and abroad. i found the best way to get them was through 2p2 software for some of their earlier stuff though i dont want to encourage this but it seems the easiest way. though i did send money over to but their newest ablum sometime last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

pfft.. they invented opeth-length songs. have you heard they're newest album? the song on that, "Jotunheim" runs for 19.26 minutes.

though they are very hard to find their albums in shops here and abroad. i found the best way to get them was through 2p2 software for some of their earlier stuff though i dont want to encourage this but it seems the easiest way. though i did send money over to but their newest ablum sometime last year.

Eh, long songs aren't a new thing...

...do i even have to point out the retardedness of that statement?
    Opeth were formed in 1990, Moonsorrow in 1995.
    and 19mins 26secs? Black Rose Immortal is 20mins 14secs (not that its a comeptition), and was released in 1996, by which stage Moonsorrow had released NOTHING.

Wasn't Tchaikovsky composing 20 minute pieces a few years before either of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Screw Tchaikovsky he ain't tr00 :p

Symphony X own everyone when it comes to the Epic songs. The Odyssey runs for 24 minutes, and its pure class.

i said it wasnt a competition! but seen as its turning into one, im gonna go write my 3 hour metal opus!! see ya in a few years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 stringer

Oeneus wrote:

ya, Lordi are legends.. although i don';t theink Sonata Arctica fits into "extreme" music, they're a great band to listen too...

Slurms wrote:
    Symphony X own everyone when it comes to the Epic songs. The Odyssey runs for 24 minutes, and its pure class.
    Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
    60 minutes, I win :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Pfft... Sentenced owns all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

HIM tbh.......

[/sarcasm]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Pugsley wrote:
    Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
    60 minutes, I win :rolleyes:

Boris - Absolutego 65:34 \m/

*insert big riff noise*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

Lordi are fantastic! I heard their potential Eurovision song "Hard Rock Hallelujah" and it's really good. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ThaMasta

Hey Guys...thanks for listing some bands...Im gonna check em out

tho'...

I cant seee anybody moving me like Wintersun, but I said that about Dark Tranquility ("The Gallery") back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Khatarina (Turku, Finland) all girl Feminist d-beat punk quartet.
    mp3's http://www.noellynch.com/leoos/Khatarina/
    Kidd Blunt (Kilcoole) technical hardcore punk
    www.myspace.com/kiddblunt
    Fulcrum (Galway)metal \m/
    www.geocities.com/fulcrum_band

Richardsons Bar, Eyre Square, Galway, Ireland.
    Thursday 23rd February. Doors 8:30
    Adm: €5 before 9:30, €6 after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's so many great Finnish bands... Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Ensiferum, Stratovarius, Children of Bodom, Finntroll... there must be something in the water there!

There's so many great Finnish bands... Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Ensiferum, Stratovarius, Children of Bodom, Finntroll... there must be something in the water there!
    Its Scandanavia in general, weathers so cr*p what better to do than write the worlds finest metal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Finntroll and Wintersun all the way.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Not a fan of Kalmah, just couldnt quite grab the whole "swamp" thing.
    Finntroll tbh.

Advertisement