Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensing issues (spilt from "What .223")

Options
  • 16-02-2006 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Rew wrote:
    Mine took 12 days :D

A mate of mine got into the .223 bug a few weeks ago after watching me shoot some foxes on the lamp and seen how accurate it is on the range.
    Last saturday morning, he walked into his firearms dealer, gave in his .22 magnum rifle, chose his .223, went with the details to his local cop shop, got cert number, caliber ect changed and stamped and went back to his dealer and had his .223 that afternoon.:eek: :D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Thats cheating though, mine was a new application :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

do the applications go to dublin that is the story i'm hearin from some one who found an air rifle in their place of work,gun with no licence sort of thing, gardai let him keep it tho still waitin 6 or so months for the licence:confused:

love to find an ak and see if thay let me keep it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

scout wrote:
    do the applications go to dublin that is the story i'm hearin from some one who found an air rifle in their place of work,gun with no licence sort of thing, gardai let him keep it tho still waitin 6 or so months for the licence:confused:

love to find an ak and see if thay let me keep it:rolleyes:

Think they go to dublin for some calibres all right, my bro got a .270 and that had to go to dublin (maybe because he wanted it for hunting deer) but my air rifle went no further than the local super

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

Think they go to dublin for some calibres all right,

Got told last week that they'd have to send my application for a .223 to dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sputnik wrote:
    Got told last week that they'd have to send my application for a .223 to dublin.

Ok we need sparks or civdef to clear this one up cos i need to know where I stand if they say that to me, by the sounds of it people got there's within 3 weeks it shouldn't take 11!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

11 weeks is not too bad , I was waiting 8 and a half months for mine , it was my 5th rifle though, Clearance through the park is a bit backlogged at the moment , you could ring the park and check if they have received it , i think they are around a month behind at the moment.

If they were all going to dub aand they were a month behind it wouldn't make sense that I got mine in 12 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Mine took exactly 12 weeks, including Christmas and New Year.
    Not too bad, I suppose, and it was for my fourth rifle (second centrefire).

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Vegeta wrote:
    Ok we need sparks or civdef to clear this one up cos i need to know where I stand if they say that to me, by the sounds of it people got there's within 3 weeks it shouldn't take 11!!!

Vegata, from my experience, they will do ither 2 things.
    The firearms officer might ring up and say it has been rejected because its a military caliber, in which case you reply by telling them that .223 rifles are getting licenced all the time right now and that should not be an issue.
    Or, if a few have been licenced in your district and you have a good reason to have one, ie, culling foxes, target shooting, then you should have no probs.:)
    The thing that payed off for me in the end was persistance.;)

Rew wrote:
    Thats cheating though, mine was a new application :D

Mine was treated as a fresh appllication Rew, when it should of been treated as an amendment, as i was giving up my Hornet for it.
    I was just explaining the difference between different guards and their ways of dealing with certs.
    The freind i explained about earlier, walked in and got his cert changed without a problem, where's i had to wait a month for the same thing.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

To be honest im not sure that they should be doing direct swaps like that. Thats really ment for changing between two .22lr's. The system is so unclear though we end up in this middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Nope, the legislation allows them to switch licences even between shotgun and rifles or handguns (ref the bit about making up the difference if the fees for the newer firearm are higher).

The idea of needing a new licence and another fee just to change calibres is ridiculous.

Who swaps it though the local FAO? That seems to bypass the super all together.

Rew wrote:
    Who swaps it though the local FAO? That seems to bypass the super all together.
    It was certainly the local Firearms Officer who ammendeded the only one I've ever changed. One .22LR for another, fwiw.

edited to add-
    Well done to the Mods for splitting this off the original thread, it was all getting a bit off topic.
    Putting the name of the original thread in the title (in brackets) is an excellent notion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

12 weeks and still no sign, A Detective Inspector from Galway called me in regards to my application on the 10th of Jan, after a quick chat he informed me that he would pass it onto the Super that week with his recommendation!!
    Rang my Sgt last weekend all I got was there is a big back log!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Keelan wrote:
    Mine was treated as a fresh appllication Rew, when it should of been treated as an amendment, as i was giving up my Hornet for it.
    I was just explaining the difference between different guards and their ways of dealing with certs.
    The freind i explained about earlier, walked in and got his cert changed without a problem, where's i had to wait a month for the same thing.:rolleyes:

Keelan,
    I walked in to my dealer and swapped my Hornet for a .223 here in Cork and was firing the .223 two hours later. Had no probs with the locals, in fact was in and out of the Barracks within 6 mins, ammended licence in hand, ink still wet..

TJ911...

Trojan911 wrote:
    Keelan,
    I walked in to my dealer and swapped my Hornet for a .223 here in Cork and was firing the .223 two hours later. Had no probs with the locals, in fact was in and out of the Barracks within 6 mins, ammended licence in hand, ink still wet..

TJ911...

Thats exactly what my freind experience, he just walked in and out.
    I think this is all about to change this summer, weather for the better, i dont know. Their is talk of all .223s and pistold being lifted:eek: :rolleyes: .
    But so far it seems to be gossip.:v:, if anyone has any real proof of this, i would be interested to here from them.:)

Terrier wrote:
    12 weeks and still no sign, A Detective Inspector from Galway called me in regards to my application on the 10th of Jan, after a quick chat he informed me that he would pass it onto the Super that week with his recommendation!!

I have a feeling that it will be classed as a high velocity military round and be rejected:rolleyes: . Now i could be rong too.:o
    You need to go in and have a chat with your Supt and explain to him that these calibers are being licenced all the time. If he wants proof, give him Ph numbers of well known firearms dealers who regularily sell .223s to him to ask them how many they have sold, explain to him how a .220 Swift is far more powerfull then a .223 and yet they get licenced under a standard .220 cert with no problems.
    I have seen fellas walking into their local barracks and swaping a air rifle to a swift in a matter of 2 miniutes.
    The best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Terrier wrote:

Oh wouldnt be too worried.Try a year plus in Lmerick to get any answer out of the lot down here.:mad:
    Also Re the sending of lics to Dublin .Talked to the head of admin in the firearms dept up there.Talked to the head of the dept,a vey nice woman of first name Mary.She assured me that they have the lic turnaround times down to 24hours now.Any delays are coming or being caused at Dist Hq levels,or from local stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

True CG,

I have all of mine now, but at the time, I too spoke with Mary in December. She said that they make a point of turning round pistol licences within the day "as their easier to process", but back then all other licences were running about a month behind schedule.

Looks like nothing's changed much.
    S

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Keelan wrote:
    Thats exactly what my freind experience, he just walked in and out.
    I think this is all about to change this summer, weather for the better, i dont know. Their is talk of all .223s and pistold being lifted:eek: :rolleyes: .
    But so far it seems to be gossip.:v:, if anyone has any real proof of this, i would be interested to here from them.:)

Fromwhat I have heard on all this the CJB re firearms will NOT be implimented untill end of july 2007,and I havent heard of anything being lifted or banned just that it will be der Kommissar...er...the cheif commissioner who will grant the liscensing of the restricted weapons.But he will also be answerable within the 30 days period or else find himself in your local DC answering to his decision.Wonder what that will be like??
    LB6
    Did you apply for a big cal rifle and/or handgun?PM me on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

The story so far....
    26/11/2005
    .223 Licence Application applied for.
    29/11/2005
    Entered into the Pulse system
    19/01/2006
    Received a call from a Detective Inspector in regards to the licence. No problems and he informed my the he would forward the application onto the super with his recommendation.
    23/02/2006
    Enquiry to my Local Sgt (2nd time in two weeks).Call went well, he promised to check the system when he was at the district station and get me a progress report on the application. Sgt call me back 4 hours later, application is still awaiting review from the Crime Prevention Officer. When I queried him as to why the Det. Insp. had informed me the licence was being forwarded to the Super in Jan he replied stating that he had no reason why the Det Insp. was in touch with me as this was not his job.

So lads, should I
    1. Chase the local CPO?
    2. Sit it out?

Any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

If it's with the CPO chase the fuc.. em... garda down and find out whats going on. You have a right to know. All this it's off here and its going there is all bull**** you should know exactly where your application is and whos is taking care of it.

A det insp shouldnt be concerning himself with a firearms app unless he was tasked to do so. If he's a detective then he has a case that he should be getting on with.

DO NOT SIT IT OUT. Worst thing you can do. It could land on a desk some where and be forgotten about. Always know who is looking after it as much as you can talk to them which gives them more of an incentive to get up off their..... seats and do it.

FSN.jpg

Can you get this imported?

15a.gif

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Riggser wrote:
    FSN.jpg
    If so Riggser (and we've no law against it), you couldn't get it's ammo - it's sold to LEO and military only. They do make a "normal" round for the Five-Seven for the US market though, and there is also a civilian version of the P90.
    Don't see what you'd want either for myself, mind - I mean, it's pretty much designed for one thing and unless you hunt body-armour-wearing deer in close quarters combat, it's not going to be that useful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seamusgi4szw

As an aside to this thread I,m waiting since the first week in December for a visitors pass from Dublin, When I ring Tullamore, all I,m told is it is in Dublin.
    By the time I get it I will have to renew it.

Cheers all
    :D

Riggser wrote:
    FSN.jpg

Iv had my grubby mits on both the P90 and the 5-7. P90 is very, very sexy :D

5-7 has a huge pistol grip so if your hands arn't huge forget it!

Riggser wrote:
    If it's with the CPO chase the fuc.. em... garda down and find out whats going on. You have a right to know. All this it's off here and its going there is all bull**** you should know exactly where your application is and whos is taking care of it.

A det insp shouldnt be concerning himself with a firearms app unless he was tasked to do so. If he's a detective then he has a case that he should be getting on with.

DO NOT SIT IT OUT. Worst thing you can do. It could land on a desk some where and be forgotten about. Always know who is looking after it as much as you can talk to them which gives them more of an incentive to get up off their..... seats and do it.

I agree with all this. They are just giving you the run around.
    Are you a member of the NARGC?

• Advertisement

Just for the record, my most recent firearms licence experience-

9.00pm yesterday- Rovi picks out nice shiny Bettinsoli O/U shotgun (for clay pigeon fun and games), gets particulars for licence application.
    10.00am today- Rovi presents self at Garda Station, has chat with Firearms Officer. Asks for Temporary Firearms Certificate with immediate effect. Super in a meeting, give a ring after lunch.
    12.30pm- Firearms Officer calls. Got the Super on his way to lunch, no problem on the Temporary Certificate, collect it at the counter.
    2.30pm- Rovi collects Temporary Firearms Certificate from Garda Station.
    2.45pm- Rovi collects nice shiny Bettinsoli O/U shotgun (for clay pigeon fun and games) from gun dealer.
    3.00pm- Rovi arrives home.
    3.01pm- BANG! (ad infinitum)

Now, this is not my first shotgun, so I wasn't expecting any problems getting the extra licence, but this is certainly the quickest I ever gotten one :D

Advertisement