Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensing issues (spilt from "What .223")

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Rovi wrote:
    Asks for Temporary Firearms Certificate with immediate effect. .
    Temporary Certificate,

What does a temporary Firearms cert mean, are you only allowed to have the shotgun for a short while?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Keelan wrote:
    What does a temporary Firearms cert mean, are you only allowed to have the shotgun for a short while?:confused:
    It's a letter from the Super to anyone concerned (the gun dealer, Gardai looking for the licence, Range Officers, etc) giving me permission to possess the gun and purchase ammunition during the time period between applying for the licence and the issuing of the actual piece of paper.
    On lovely Garda Siochana headed paper, signed by the Firearms Officer.

For straightforward stuff (like a supplemental shotgun licence, in this case), they'll usually issue one if you have a reasonable reason for asking for it: upcoming competition, hunting trip, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Pardon me, I just had to vommit.

Despite Rovi's world record for attaining a new firearm, and well done might I add, this just highlights the stupid and downright frustrating procedures the Gardai have in place for issuing licenses and a temporary one at that. Never heard of that license until now. So in future get your Super Nintendo when he or she is off to lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Riggser wrote:
    Never heard of that license until now.
    In fairness, it's not a 'licence' in the accepted meaning: a standardised formal piece of paper as issued throughout the jurisdiction. It's merely a letter from the Super authorising me to possess the firearm in the interim period between applying for and receiving the formal licence.
    In effect, it's stating that the issuing of the licence is just a formality, and that the Super is happy for me to go ahead and take possession of the gun straight away.

That said, I've only ever heard of it being done for supplemental shotgun licences, which have always been pretty easy to get anyway.

I suppose some Supers are more amenable to writing these letters than others; I guess I'm just lucky that my local Super is one of the good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Terrier wrote:
    The story so far....
    26/11/2005
    .223 Licence Application applied for.
    29/11/2005
    Entered into the Pulse system
    19/01/2006
    Received a call from a Detective Inspector in regards to the licence. No problems and he informed my the he would forward the application onto the super with his recommendation.
    23/02/2006
    Enquiry to my Local Sgt (2nd time in two weeks).Call went well, he promised to check the system when he was at the district station and get me a progress report on the application. Sgt call me back 4 hours later, application is still awaiting review from the Crime Prevention Officer. When I queried him as to why the Det. Insp. had informed me the licence was being forwarded to the Super in Jan he replied stating that he had no reason why the Det Insp. was in touch with me as this was not his job.

So lads, should I
    1. Chase the local CPO?
    2. Sit it out?

Any other ideas?
    The Story Continues...

01/03/06
    Contact the CPO (finally). He informed me that the licence has not come across his desk yet. But would make enquiries for me. He call back within the hour to say it was with the Det Sgts office.
    01/03/06
    Contacted the Det Sgts Office and dealt with another very helfull garda. Called me back within the hour also. he inform me my application was with a Det Garda who has been on a temp transfer and is returning today (03/03/06)!! This might explain the delay but who knows!!!

The fun continues ... More calls on Monday!!

• Advertisement

Terrier wrote:
    The Story Continues...

01/03/06
    Contact the CPO (finally). He informed me that the licence has not come across his desk yet. But would make enquiries for me. He call back within the hour to say it was with the Det Sgts office.
    01/03/06
    Contacted the Det Sgts Office and dealt with another very helfull garda. Called me back within the hour also. he inform me my application was with a Det Garda who has been on a temp transfer and is returning today (03/03/06)!! This might explain the delay but who knows!!!

The fun continues ... More calls on Monday!!

Glad your keeping all contact written down. Keep at them.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

I applied for my second pistol licence last week, fingers crossed it won't take as long as the first:(

Originally Posted by Terrier
    The story so far....
    26/11/2005
    29/11/2005
    19/01/2006
    Received a call from a Detective Inspector in regards to the licence. No problems and he informed my the he would forward the application onto the super with his recommendation.
    23/02/2006
    Enquiry to my Local Sgt (2nd time in two weeks).Call went well, he promised to check the system when he was at the district station and get me a progress report on the application. Sgt call me back 4 hours later, application is still awaiting review from the Crime Prevention Officer. When I queried him as to why the Det. Insp. had informed me the licence was being forwarded to the Super in Jan he replied stating that he had no reason why the Det Insp. was in touch with me as this was not his job.
    01/03/06
    01/03/06
    08/03/06
    Numerous calls trying to get in contact with the Det. Garda who is supposed to be dealing with my application.
    09/03/06
    Rang the Det Sgt Office again and talked to another Det sgt, explain my case from the start again, I ask him is it possible to get the licence application assigned to another officer?Got the line " I call you back when I look into it..."
    10/03/06
    Rang Det Sgt office again as I got no call back, dealt with a 3rd Det Sgt ask for previous Det Sgt to call me back!!
    Got a call from a Det at 2pm saying ..... "We have lost the paper work" would you believe it ... apoligised and stated that somewhere along the line the application was lost.. Promised it would be issued with 1 week, at least my local Sgt kept a copy of the orginal application :mad:

The fun continues ...

They never cease to amaze.

Terrier wrote:
    Originally Posted by Terrier
    The story so far....
    26/11/2005
    29/11/2005
    19/01/2006
    23/02/2006
    01/03/06
    01/03/06
    08/03/06
    Numerous calls trying to get in contact with the Det. Garda who is supposed to be dealing with my application.
    09/03/06
    Rang the Det Sgt Office again and talked to another Det sgt, explain my case from the start again, I ask him is it possible to get the licence application assigned to another officer?Got the line " I call you back when I look into it..."
    10/03/06
    Rang Det Sgt office again as I got no call back, dealt with a 3rd Det Sgt ask for previous Det Sgt to call me back!!
    Got a call from a Det at 2pm saying ..... "We have lost the paper work" would you believe it ... apoligised and stated that somewhere along the line the application was lost.. Promised it would be issued with 1 week, at least my local Sgt kept a copy of the orginal application :mad:

The fun continues ...

Not good enough. They are just playing with you.:rolleyes:
    Have you got your .223 cert yet?

• Advertisement

As of Wednesday (15/3/06) the license has been issued, but I have not heard from my Sgt yet.... hopefully this week!!

You get in touch with him. why wait?

Away in England for two weeks.. but don't worry there will be phone calls made to keep the pressure on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

It's terrible what they're putting you through Terrier. I keep coming back to check on this thread, hoping here for a good outcome for ya! :)

It's a sad fact that you are dealing with individuals rather than units or departments when applying for a firearms cert. Well for the moment anyway.

johngalway wrote:
    It's terrible what they're putting you through Terrier. I keep coming back to check on this thread, hoping here for a good outcome for ya! :)

Someday I will just post a picture .. hopefully that day will be soon!!

Terrier wrote:
    Someday I will just post a picture .. hopefully that day will be soon!!

Sounds a bit more better, hope you have it soon, post a pic when you get it.;)

The story so far....
    26/11/2005
    29/11/2005
    19/01/2006
    23/02/2006
    01/03/06
    01/03/06
    08/03/06
    09/03/06
    10/03/06
    Got a call from a Det at 2pm saying ..... "We have lost the paper work" would you believe it ... apoligised and stated that somewhere along the line the application was lost.. Promised it would be issued with 1 week, at least my local Sgt kept a copy of the orginal application

The story continues..
    14/03/06
    Informed that the application had been forwarded to Dublin so the licence could be issued. After asking where all the security checks and requirments now met, I recieved the answer that the application was complete, signed off and all that was left to do was print off the licence.
    23/03/06
    Keeping the pressure on was assure only days left. Ask if the licence could be issued at regional headquarters as my local Sgt. was on 3 weeks leave. No problems on there behalf..
    24/03/06
    Decided to contact the Firearms Dept in Dublin and ask had the licence been processed, Mary (very helpfull) stated that the licence had not reached her and that there was no back log.
    27/03/06 and 28/03/06
    Messages left with Det Sgts again asking why the licence is still not with the firearms dept... still no responce

Back in Ireland on Friday, intend to call into the station for a face to face as i feel I'm chasing a loosing battle now.

Terrier wrote:
    intend to call into the station for a face to face as i feel I'm chasing a loosing battle now.

Yes, it does seem that way. Its the Superintendent at the end of the day that will have the final decision, its him you should be contacting and ask him straight out, why is it taking so long and how a lot of people around the country are getting them within a month or even less.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200689

what is this classed as rifle shotgun?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Have to say my local Garda station is great. Application to join 2 pistol licences and an app to increase my rounds on my.223 all approved and back in under 2 weeks.

Same here...

My local sorted out my license very quickly, and i just had to wander in to get my ammo quota increased...

They also helped us with paperwork for going abroad...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

macnas wrote:
    05/03/06, I applied for my second pistol licence last week, fingers crossed it won't take as long as the first:(

Application was approved, expecting the paperwork this week.:D

Rew wrote:
    Have to say my local Garda station is great. Application to join 2 pistol licences and an app to increase my rounds on my.223 all approved and back in under 2 weeks.

Thanks Lads .. rub it in anyway!!:p

Terrier wrote:
    Thanks Lads .. rub it in anyway!!:p

Have you not got it yet terrier??:eek:

What a bunch of geeks!!!:confused:

Well the licence was issued in Dublin on Monday (24/04/06) and posted out on Tuesday morning - Thanks to Mary in the Firearms Dept for that. :)

Chasing my local Sgt at the moment... :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Nice one hopefully you will have it in your hands before the long weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

That's great news Terrier! :D:D

Great stuff.:) post pics of your rifle when you have it.;)

• Advertisement

Lucky you Terrier.

Well done. ;)

Advertisement