Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensing issues (spilt from "What .223")

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

License delivery to my house today by my local Sgt.
    5 months to the day since I applied!!

Will post pictures on Tuesday as I’m away for the weekend
    ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

EXCELLENT, congratulations:D
    Looking farward to the pics.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

The license was delivered!?!?!?!?
    Now that's service for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Tried ringing 'Mary' regarding my licence today, was told to check with my local station. Didn't seem like the helpful Mary we all know and love here. Maybe she's just on holidays or maybe the number was a bit over exposed here.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

My bet's on the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Rew wrote:
    and an app to increase my rounds on my.223 all approved and back in under 2 weeks.

Rew,

I want to up my ammo supply to for my .223 & .22. My local Garda station is excellent but do I need another excuse to do this? If so, what would it be i.e. Target pracise etc....

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

TJ, if you have a good reason (and not an excuse) to need more ammunition on your licence, you just tell your local Garda firearms officer. No mystery to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Trojan911 wrote:
    Rew,

I want to up my ammo supply to for my .223 & .22. My local Garda station is excellent but do I need another excuse to do this? If so, what would it be i.e. Target pracise etc....

TJ911...
    If I may be so bold as to jump in here...
    Target shooting/practice is about the only viable (acceptable) reason for looking for an increased ammo allowance, with 'economy of purchase' as a handy secondary reason.
    'Hunting' isn't really seen as requiring vast quantities of ammunition, and might give rise to puzzled looks if applied for on that basis.

Talk of 'revolution' and 'zombie invasion' will get you nowhere. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Im target shooting so they went back to the super and asked could they increase it. He approved but iv no idea what its to be changed to. I went up and collected my pistol licences but they had no record of the figure the .223 was to be changed to so they wouldn't change it. I have to try get up there when the sgt who I deal with is there to sort it out as he has all the info. It def much easier to deal with one guy but it can be hard to get them in the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Terrier wrote:
    Will post pictures on Tuesday as I’m away for the weekend
    ;););)

Come on then T :p lol I've such an unfair advantage at already having seen it :D

John

• Advertisement

Tikka T3 Tactical .223
    :D:D:D

Due to the weather today unable to test it so hopefully tomorrow!!

Sorry about the quaility had to turn it down in order to allow it to be posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Sparks wrote:
    TJ, if you have a good reason (and not an excuse) to need more ammunition on your licence, you just tell your local Garda firearms officer. No mystery to it.

Yes, wrong word there (excuse), I do have a good reason, cheers for the replies......

TJ911...

Terrier wrote:
    Tikka T3 Tactical .223
    :D:D:D

Due to the weather today unable to test it so hopefully tomorrow!!

Very nice Terrier.:)
    The best of luck with it mate.;)
    If you have not got some yet, try some American Eagle ammo, the 55 grain FMJ, or 50 grain hallow point, very good stuff.
    Its made by Federal.
    Let us know how you get on with it.

Well I have the following ammo and brands to check..

Hornady 55gr v-max Molly (supposed to the best to put down a new barrel)
    Hornady 75gr BT HP
    Remington 62gr HP (Match)
    Remington 55gr Accutip-V Boat Tail
    Remington 55gr FMJ

Will look into the American Eagle rounds..

Terrier wrote:
    Well I have the following ammo and brands to check..

Hornady 55gr v-max Molly (supposed to the best to put down a new barrel)
    Hornady 75gr BT HP
    Remington 62gr HP (Match)
    Remington 55gr Accutip-V Boat Tail
    Remington 55gr FMJ

Will look into the American Eagle rounds..

Where did you get the Hornady 55gr V-max Molly from?
    I would not mind testing a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Terrier wrote:
    Played about a bit with the image there Terrier and here it is, hope you don't mind:
    t3.jpg

Looks great with the scope on board!

Sparks wrote:
    Played about a bit with the image there Terrier and here it is, hope you don't mind:
    QUOTE]

Cheers for that mate

will post another when I get the night time rig set up on it.

Just for the record, here's how my recent pistol application went-

12 April- lodged application in Garda Station.
    17 April- got call from Firearms Officer requesting a letter to include in the application, explaining my reasons for purchasing a pistol. Local Super now wants this for all pistols and fullbore rifles, apparently.
    20 April- left said letter into the Station.
    5 May (today)- brown envelope with a harp on it in the post: "Re: your application for a Pistol Firearm Certificate. ...I wish to inform... blah, blah, blah,... successful."

RESULT! :D

23 days from 'first contact,' and 15 days from providing the final piece of documentation.

Can you say "Happy Bunny?"

Here's what I'm getting, by the way (in 9mm)- http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=1&ids=4&idz=18&lang=en

Terrier,

What scope is that you've put on it? and are those optilock mounts from tikka?

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Rovi wrote:
    Here's what I'm getting, by the way (in 9mm)- http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=1&ids=4&idz=18&lang=en

Congrats on the new pistol Rovi, the TS is great gun. Why 9mm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Rovi wrote:
    Just for the record, here's how my recent pistol application went-

RESULT! :D

23 days from 'first contact,' and 15 days from providing the final piece of documentation.

Can you say "Happy Bunny?"

Bragger ..! :D

Seriously ..well done and good luck with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

well after a month i had to re-apply for my license today for my .223 as the local FAO was on holiday for over a month and has just returned. The rifle was delivered on the 21/03/06 and I have only now been able to talk to the FAO so I will keep posting here and keep updates coming.

It is also a .223 so we will see how the local super treats it

Vegeta wrote:
    well after a month i had to re-apply for my license today for my .223 as the local FAO was on holiday for over a month and has just returned. The rifle was delivered on the 21/03/06 and I have only now been able to talk to the FAO so I will keep posting here and keep updates coming.

It is also a .223 so we will see how the local super treats it

Looking farward to the outcome.;)

Keelan wrote:
    Looking farward to the outcome.;)

Yeah this could so much FUN......not. I have pretty much given up all hope as when i was 16 I applied for a shotgun licence and was told I was too young!! How long would you recommend before i ask what stage the license is at. 2 weeks

I was also asked "now .223 is that much heavier than the .22" to which i responded "well the bullet itself isn't a whole lot bigger but it has a longer range alright".

macnas wrote:
    Congrats on the new pistol Rovi, the TS is great gun. Why 9mm?
    For reasons of economy, mainly. I want to get in plenty of trigger time without grieving too much about the cost of ammunition.
    Plus, I know a few other guys with 9mms, so we'll have a bit of 'bulk purchasing' clout.
    If/when I get the IPSC bug, I'll look at trading/modifying/adding to it with something in .40S&W.
    For the moment, 9mm will do me fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I have to say again what a sound a decent FAO I have. My .223 licence has been amended from 50 up to a much healthier figure. :)

ok its been 2 weeks to the day since i resubmitted (FAO went on Holidays for all of April) my licence application (tikka .223 varmint), I know if i ring up it wont be ready but should i ring up and ask how its going or will i give it another week

Did they give you any idea how long it'd take? I was told 4-6 weeks for my shotgun, licence arrived in 15 days.

John

• Advertisement

No indication at all,

He said "I have your contact details so will be in touch when its ready"

I don't want to this to turn into a 3 month application. I want to be kept in the loop without annoying the FAO, i think i will leave it til the end of this week and then give him a buzz and politely ask if there are any hold ups or is there anything i can do to make the process go more quickly

Advertisement