Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Sports Poll for Irish Captain

• 17-02-2006 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Just browsing at the http://home.skysports.com/football/ website a few minutes ago and saw a poll to click on who you think should be the new Irish captain??
    I voted for Shay as i really think he deserves it for both outstanding and consistent performances in the Ireland shirt and i know some argue that its better to have an outfield player but i dont care i really think the fella deserves it after his contributions to our game and then i clicked on the see results button expecting him to be the only player voted for so far...to my shock i see Robbie Keane following him very closely in the poll....just wondering if this is a fair reflection of all your views out there??
    Id be surprised anybody would have voted for Keane but people obviously are choosing him so i ask why??i know he is our top scorer but i still think that is the worst goals record in football.
    And alot of Irish people use Skysports so its not as if its English peoples opinions solely!
    Views on this?

Who would you pick for Captain? 33 votes

Given
    0% 0 votes
    Keane
    87% 29 votes
    Given?Keane? what about Breen?
    12% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I want to know which 3% voted Breen!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Id be surprised anybody would have voted for Keane but people obviously are choosing him so i ask why??i know he is our top scorer but i still think that is the worst goals record in football.

The reason people are voting for Keane is because he is the only real alternative is Given, and Keane has recently been Spurs' captain in the absence of Ledley King, and has done quite a good job in fairness to him. I'd probably still pick Given ahead of Keane though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Legend.......Number 1 Gary Breen, Number 2 Gary Breen.....etc
    He wont even be in the team, brilliant

If you click on the link and go to the bottom left of the page!

Got it, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

just wondering if this is a fair reflection of all your views out there??
    Why don't you include a poll?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I honestly dont think goalkeepers make good captains but in Irelands case we dont really have any alternatives. I think Keane doesnt play as well for Ireland as he does for Spurs in that he is more selfish for Irealnd and doesnt pass the ball around. Not the attributes of a captain. It has to be Given for me, but reluctantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

I agree about keepers not being ideal as captains but Given is certainly the best choice. I don't know if Keane is vocal enough for captain. He hasn't been playing well for Ireland but I don't think it's greediness, it's more down to the fact that we don't have enough creativity in the side and the burden for creating goals is carried by Keane and Duff.

"the burden for creating goals is carried by Keane and Duff"
    ya this is more than a fair point but still he does not produce for Ireland what he does for Spurs, a sign of a great player is making something out of nothing like Henry did to us in Dublin last year but he never really does that even against lower opposition!
    I think Given being made captain might also get rid of any retirement thoughts he might be starting to get at his age

Given is only 29, I'm sure he's not thinking about retiring just yet.

• Advertisement

Bazmo i have added a POLL just for you, sorry i should have thought of it earlier!!!
    he is still only 29 but he might not see the team going anywhere in the short term and it must be frustrating putting in great performances time and time again and coming fourth in a qualifying group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

I am also of the opinion that goalkeepers dont make great captains but there is no real alternative to Given. Richard Dunne may be an alternative. Robbie keane isnt really captain material in my opinion as i dont think that he is a team player.

Bazmo i have added a POLL just for you, sorry i should have thought of it earlier!!!
    he is still only 29 but he might not see the team going anywhere in the short term and it must be frustrating putting in great performances time and time again and coming fourth in a qualifying group

Well lets hope for Irelands sake that he has a lot more pride in his country than to retire from international football while still playing for his club. Although maybe Messrs Carr and Shearer will be talking with him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well, keane was a very selfish player with tottenham too before they made him captain, he cut out all his little stupid flicks and stuff and started playing more for the team, the team did well with him as captain. i think he would be a lot less selfish if he was captain of ireland too...cut out all the ****e that he pulls off in matches and start playing for the team, maybe its just what he needs! :)

I'll plum for keane for captain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I honestly dont think goalkeepers make good captains

dino Zoff anyone?
    Lev Yashin was also a captain?
    Granted these were two of the best goalkeepers the world has ever known, Given still some catching up to do, but I think if ye have that personality it shouldn't be a problem.

Oliver Kahn too club and country if i remember correctly.
    I know what ye are saying about him playing well for Spurs and even better when he is captain but he has never produced anything like this for the national team even when in form for Spurs so i dont see it changing too much although i genuinely hope im wrong for the sake of the national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I'd be happy with either Given or Dunne , both would be capable of fufilling the role well .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well, keane was a very selfish player with tottenham too before they made him captain, he cut out all his little stupid flicks and stuff and started playing more for the team, the team did well with him as captain. i think he would be a lot less selfish if he was captain of ireland too...cut out all the ****e that he pulls off in matches and start playing for the team, maybe its just what he needs! :)

I'll plum for keane for captain :)
    Being made captain for Spurs wasn't the turning point for Robbie, it was his spell as a bench warmer that made him knuckle down. Although, I wouldn't really have a problem with him being made captain for Ireland, I just think Shay is more deserving.

"Being made captain for Spurs wasn't the turning point for Robbie, it was his spell as a bench warmer that made him knuckle down"

This seems very true, Ireland will have to start him though as there is no competition, It will be Keane and Doyle up front in a few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

def Given, he deserves it so much. He really didnt deserve to not make it to the World Cup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

My choices:
    1. Given
    2. Kav
    3. Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Given is the only choice really. Apart from Keane or Duff, he's the only member of the panel guaranteed to be in the starting XI on a regular basis.
    I'm not a fan of making strikers captains (see Henry for instance) as I feel their sole purpose should be scoring.
    Duff would probably admit himself that his personality doesn't lend itself to the captaincy.

Advertisement