Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL help

Options
  • 17-02-2006 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

ok I'm trying to create a related articles column based on categories that the content author selects while they're entering the content of an article.

So I have the following tables in the db 'articles', 'categories', and 'articles_categories_link'.

Authors can select as many categories as they like using checkboxes, which then populates the 'articles_categories_link' table.

Generating a list of articles that match a single category is relatively easy, however how would you get it to match at least 2 (for better accuracy)?

Any ideas welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Should just be a simple matter of an OR. Post up your existing query...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

if your looking to match 1 of 2 columns its an "or" , as seamus suggests
    I you want both to match, its an and
    if your looking for an article that has 2 or more categories its a count() >= 2

so you will have your select and the inner joins followed by a where categoryname = 'x' AND categoryname = 'y'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

It helps if i read the OP's post properly....

Peace, it seems to be a MANY TO MANY - Hence the "articles_categories_link"

Just to throw the cat among the pigeons - I think the relationship SHOULD be one to many, as your articles can have many categories BUT the categories WONT have many articles.

Artciles
    ArticleID

Category
    CategoryID
    ArticleID_FK

So you would be looking for :

select x from article ( inner join on category ) where catname = 'x' and catname = 'y'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Find articles about Cats and Dogs:
    SELECT articles.id,articles.name
                    FROM articles a 
                            INNER JOIN articles_categories_link a1
                                   ON a.articleid=a1.articleid
                            INNER JOIN articles_categories_link a2 
                                   ON a.articleid=a2.articleid
                            INNER JOIN categories c1 
                                   ON a1.categoryid=c1.categoryid
                            INNER JOIN categories c2
                                   ON a2.categoryid=c2.categoryid
    WHERE c1.categoryname='Dogs'
    AND c2.categoryname='Cats'

• Advertisement

How are the categories picked when searching for articles? Is it by clicking on checkboxes from a front end?
    Which database are you using and which version?

I was thinking a little more about this and I think you are looking at :

select x from article ( inner join on category ) where CategoryID= 1 and CategoryID = 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

It has to be a MANY to MANY relationship because the categories can have many articles assigned to them and the articles can have many categories related to them.

Here's the table structures that I'm using (albeit simplified)

'articles'
    aID
    content

'categories'
    cID
    name

'articles_categories_link'
    linkID
    articleID
    catID

The way the current script works is it uses some php to generate a list of categories (1,2,3,4,5) in this case for the article, then runs the following SQL (this is a very simplified version) to get recent related articles

"SELECT DISTINCT FROM articles INNER JOIN articles_categories_link ON articles.aID = articles_categories_link.articleID WHERE articles_categories_link.catID IN (1,2,3,4,5) LIMIT 0,6";

The current database is MySQL.

Checkboxes are used by the content author to select the categories for each article - there are around 20 categories and 500 articles at the moment - so getting articles very closely related with just a single category is not proving very effectice.

I know I could do a matrix of some kind where I would have to generate every possible combination of 2 I could think of e.g. for the cateories 1,2,3,4,5 the sql might be something like
    .. (catID = 1 AND catID =2) OR (catID = 1 AND catID = 3) OR (catID = 1 OR catID =4) etc.

which would be a royal pain the ass to generate.

Right, so
    SELECT articles.aID ,COUNT(*)
    FROM articles 
    INNER JOIN articles_categories_link 
      ON articles.aID = articles_categories_link.articleID 
    WHERE articles_categories_link.catID IN (1,2,3,4,5) 
    GROUP BY articles.aID 
    HAVING COUNT(*)>1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Excellent thanks for that Zaph0d.

Zaph0d a.k.a. sql guru.

• Advertisement
Advertisement