Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vegan crisps

• 17-02-2006 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hi i'm new to the forum. I'm thinking of becoming vegan (or at least as vegan as I can be!) I've already given up most dairy (cheese and milk chocolate being the exception) and eggs.

I was just munching on a bag of cheese and onion hunky dorys today and was looking at the ingredients. It doesn't mention cheese or milk in the flavorings; It says it contains soya, and i'd presume it'd mention milk too if it had it.

Does anyone know wheter these crisps are vegan and what other crisps are vegan, in particular cheese and onion flavour?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Plastic Scouser

Did I read that right?! You're looking to find vegan crisps yet you're still gonna eat 'normal' chocolate?!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

Did I read that right?! You're looking to find vegan crisps yet you're still gonna eat 'normal' chocolate?!! :confused:

No, from what I can see, he said he's 'thinking of becoming vegan', although he does eat chocolate at the moment. I assume he knows that chocolate isn't vegan, and he's just trying to find out more about which foods are (e.g. 'If I become a vegan will I still be able to eat crisps).

Unfortunately I don't know what the answer is. :(

Ho hum....well, anyway....according to this page on the Walkers website the following of their crisps & dips are suitable for vegans....

Walkers Lites Salt & Vinegar Flavour
    Walkers Potato Heads Ready Salted
    Walkers Ready Salted Lites
    Walkers Salt & Shake Crisps
    Walkers Sensations Roasted Onion & Balsamic Vinegar
    Doritos Extreme Chilli Heatwave
    Walkers French Fries Ready Salted
    Walkers French Fries Salt & Vinegar Flavour
    Walkers Sensations Crackers Cantonese Blackbean & Spring Onion
    Walkers Sensations Crackers Tangy Malaysian Chutney
    Walkers Square Ready Salted
    Dippas Hot Salsa Dip
    Doritos Dippas Dipping Chips
    Doritos Latinos Smooth Red Pepper and Tomato Dip
    Walkers Sensations Mango Chutney Dip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Thanks guys. Yes i did say "thinking of" rather than "I am a vegan". It's usually pretty obvious which chocolate is not suitable for vegans, but crisps may not be as obvious as cheese may have been used to make the flavourings but it might not be mentioned on the packet

On that web page it says "You may wish to contact your religious leader for verification of suitability of these products" What the hell's that all about? Religous leader???

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

Nature Boy wrote:
    On that web page it says "You may wish to contact your religious leader for verification of suitability of these products" What the hell's that all about? Religous leader???

Well, if you were Jewish you'd probably be quite concerned to make sure everything you eat is kosher. Muslims would probably be similar in relation to eating Pork.

• Advertisement

I was eating some Original flavour pringles today and I noticed that according to the label they are suitable for vegans.

So, Pringles suitable for veggies/vegans are.....

OK for vegetarians: Original, Salt & Vinegar, Sour Cream & Onion, Texas BBQ Sauce Flavour, Paprika, Curry, Cheese, Spanish Salsa, Spring Onion & Feta Flavour, Tomato & Mozzarella Flavour, Mexican, Pepper, Smokin' Bacon Flavour, Light Original, Light Sour Cream & Onion, Dippers Original, Dippers Pinch of Pepper, Dippers Hint of Sour Cream & Onion

OK for vegans: Original, Texas BBQ Sauce Flavour, Paprika, Curry, Smokin' Bacon Flavour, Light Original, Dippers Original

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

Naure Boy, most cheese and onion crisps don't have actual cheese in them. Some exceptions I can think of are Walkers cheese and onion (which aren't suitable for veggies, nevermind vegans) and some of the new, really posh crisps like Sensations. There can be other non-vegan things in crisps too though like lecithin (which can be made from milk or soya, most ingredients labels don't say). Crisps are a relatively safe option for vegans though. The vast majority of them are ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

direbadger wrote:
    Naure Boy, most cheese and onion crisps don't have actual cheese in them. Some exceptions I can think of are Walkers cheese and onion (which aren't suitable for veggies, nevermind vegans)...
    Actually they say on the packet that they are suitable for vegetarians.
    They may not have been in the past though.

edit: found this. Unfortunately I think Quavers are still non-veggie :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :o
    edit2: Oh sweet baby Jesus yes!! :D:D:D

direbadger wrote:
    ...There can be other non-vegan things in crisps too though like lecithin (which can be made from milk or soya, most ingredients labels don't say). Crisps are a relatively safe option for vegans though. The vast majority of them are ok.
    I wouldn't think it's quite that much, it seems like whey/milk products are used a lot of the time as a type of carrier for flavourings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Aerial

I wouldn't consider Pringles to be Vegan, as the brand is owned by P&G :( .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Aerial wrote:

How come? Do Proctor & Gamble use animal testing and you boycott their products because of this, or is it a different reason? Just curious. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Aerial wrote:

Are you sure your're not mixing up two things there?

Vegan Vs. Ethical?

A better explanation of your reasoning or at least another term would be more suitable as the foodstuffs ( if you can call crips that) contain no animal products, and normally that'd be the definition of vegan.....no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

Regarding the chocolate. There are lots of vegan chocolates available. There is a range called Celtic and lots of the Green and Black stuff is vegan. I used to love the orange one.
    I understand that Fry's Chocolate Cream is also vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Slightly off topic but in the same vein, is there any carbonated drinks suitable for vegetarians, I don't drink much of them but checked a few bottles and none seem to indicate yes or no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

As far as I know most of them are fine. I think some apple drinks use an animal product but I think most are ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Are you sure your're not mixing up two things there?

Vegan Vs. Ethical?

A better explanation of your reasoning or at least another term would be more suitable as the foodstuffs (if you can call crips that) contain no animal products, and normally that'd be the definition of vegan.....no?

I think that most, if not all, vegans choose their diet based on ethical considerations. In order to to affect change in treatment for animals they must ensure that their actions, direct or indirect, do not compromise this goal. As we live in a capitalist economy, businesses exist solely to make a profit. By refraining from buying their products, one can attempt to influence the behaviour of the company. If enough people do this their profits will fall and eventually they will cease to sell the product, and thereby whatever objectionable practices they use will cease also. This is the idea behind a boycott.

Although a particular product may not contain any animal products in itself, buying it may subsidize other products that the company produces which may exploit animals, so if a vegan purchased these they might unwittingly be supporting animal cruelty.

Advertisement