Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

De-Badging

Options
  • 17-02-2006 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Anyone know how to or where to get a cars rear badges removed and what cost as I want to cut down on the chance of getting broken into the house for the car keys.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Hair dryer, plastic knife, paraffin, and a j-cloth.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Most badges are stuck on with double sided foam tape and come off if you pour very hot water on them and allow the adhesive to soften - or you could try spocketys method. The adhesive always leaves a residue which needs to be taken off with a tiny drop of solvent (I use petrol..)

Some cars have mounting holes which will need to be filled - what kind of car is it?

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Try the Modified cars forum

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'm going to hazard a guess at an Octavia RS or Golf GTI!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

just remember to wash off any paraffin/petrol etc straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

What car is it?Some cars have some badges glued on and some are glued/leave holes which would need to be filled in.

TBH i dont think removing a badge will stop a would be thief,if they know what there after then the lack of a badge wont confuse them!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have to agree that removing the badge may not solve your problem.

It may confuse the average opportunist joyrider but a professional car thief who has done his homework and has it on his "steal to order" wish list will know exactly what it is.

Investment in a home security system or a tracker system in the car might be your best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I wouldn't use a hair dryer on the badge. Might melt the paint.

I took two badges off my car using dental floss. Just use the floss to saw the badge off. The remaining glue on the car came off with Turtlewax Tar and Bug remover.

But make sure that the badge doesn't have pins that go into holes in the body. If it does, you'll have to replace the badge, either with itself or with a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Get a kettle of boiling water, pour it over the badge and remove it by hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

Thanks for the replys , I am petrified of ruining the new paint . I will try the boiling water now and move on to the petrol if that doesn't work . Yeah Golf Gti thanks for the advice might look at getting a tracker but isnt there a subscription charge as well as a hardware cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

try reversing the car up the driveway! (or is there a badge on the front too?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

colm_mcm wrote:
    try reversing the car up the driveway! (or is there a badge on the front too?)

If it's a MkV they'll know from the wheels, exhausts, front grill, interior, and the rest of the body kit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

themessiah wrote:
    but isnt there a subscription charge as well as a hardware cost.

Depends on the system some of them use a ready-to-go type SIM card and you use text messages to communicate with them. The only running cost with these is 10c (or whatever per message) unless you spend hours showing off to your mates it shouldn't cost more than a few Euro a year.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

The Golf GTI MArk V is immediately identifyable against a regular Golf.
    Any person will/should know the difference so removing the badges from that car unfortunately will not help.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

themessiah wrote:
    Thanks for the replys , I am petrified of ruining the new paint . I will try the boiling water now and move on to the petrol if that doesn't work . Yeah Golf Gti thanks for the advice might look at getting a tracker but isnt there a subscription charge as well as a hardware cost.

I priced a tracker GPS sys in June 2005. Cost 1k to get put in and then 125 per year. How much do you love your car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I have a MKV GTI. A Clifford alarm set me back 500 quid and the bloody noise off it would wake the dead.

In fairness, even kids on the street can tell what a GTI is.

The hair dryer method works fine.. if a car can stand the heat in the desert then your average blower will do fine !! They use heat guns on cars these days you know :eek: ;)

I just used it for about 5 mins on the cars, got out the floss (watch your hands as it will be bloody hot!) and start to pull hard .. oh er !! You will get gank on the paint so tar remover/clay bar will do the job. If you're using anything like petrol, wax afterwards.

I debadged an A3 TDI as it was Superchipped and I wanted to act the magot, I haven't done it with my GTI as like has been said, there's just no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Eh when people think about stealing your car , if they are "small time" thiefs then what they will do is check the front and rear for brakes ! simple as that no amount of de-badging will stop this.

Sarge wrote:
    Eh when people think about stealing your car , if they are "small time" thiefs then what they will do is check the front and rear for brakes ! simple as that no amount of de-badging will stop this.

I think the type of thief that is going to break into a house to take keys to a new Golf GTI is a bit more clued in then looking at discs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

DO NOT USE PETROL ON YOUR CAR!!!!!

This might not wreck your paint now,but it does weaken it and makes it sun fade alot quicker as it usually tears any protective layers off. Iv seen it first hand!

Only ever use tar remover, its what truckers,farmers and everyone elses uses.A bit of elbow greese goes along way too"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

DO NOT USE PETROL ON YOUR CAR!!!!!

This might not wreck your paint now,but it does weaken it and makes it sun fade alot quicker as it usually tears any protective layers off. Iv seen it first hand!

Only ever use tar remover, its what truckers,farmers and everyone elses uses.A bit of elbow greese goes along way too"

What about all the petrol that gets spilled out of cars at filling stations and most of the time never gets wiped off...

Tar remover is only a solvent anyhow, and will still strip polish. You are more likely to damage the paintwork try to scrub it off.

Farmers are the last people on earth who use tar remover. The way most look after their machines it is apparent they dont use water, grease or oil either (being a farmer I feel well qualified to comment!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

What you should do is go to your local motor factors and ask for concept chu-sol. Ive used this to debadge a civic and just generaly taking garage badges off the back of cars.Works a treat and its ment to be used on paintwork, not like petrol.

There's no problem using petrol once you wax the car after..

Any decent valetor will use petrol to remove tar from a car.

Jesus, I hate ignorance...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Big Balls wrote:
    There's no problem using petrol once you wax the car after..

Any decent valetor will use petrol to remove tar from a car.

Jesus, I hate ignorance...

Car Brite have a tar remover, really strong stuff, it dissolved 5 pairs of rubber gloves when using removing company stickers from a van. The valeters I know use this, but I have been told that if petrol is used it has to be well waxed after

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Isn't make and model on your tax / insurance / NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Here is a detailed description of how to do it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Leave the badges on and just hide your keys?

Also have a look here for an good idea or two.http://www.muswell-hill.com/foxandco/pages/drive-guard.htm

I reckon if thieves want your car badly enough they will get it whatever it takes. The only effective answer to potential thieves is to make your car/house/keys more difficult than somebody elses to turn over.

Alarms really don't work imho, as most people ignore them as a nuisance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Leave the badges on and just hide your keys?

And risk being woken up in the middle of the night by a nice chap with a crowbar looking for them? I don't think so!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

That's always a risk. Garage the car, or put up a big gate, or a secuity post as earlier.

Your pride and joy could have every secuity measure known to man fitted but if that guy with the crowbar wants it badly enough, he'll get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

Cheers for the replies , a few heart stopping moments but badge is off with no damage thank god . As my drive way is open with the garden cant block it off but a trip to halfords and maplin at lunch have yielded a top notch steering wheel lock and a dummy camera on the side of the house . Yeah I think I might invest in a tracker aswell just to be on the safe side . Does it take long to get installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

a couple of years ago i had a yaris, I saw a grille emblem for sale on ebay so
    i bought it and i looked up a website that dealt specifically with removing the toyota badge and fitting the V shaped emblem. I used dental floss, well a whole box of it and then I sprayed De-icer for a long time and eventually
    I used some rubbing compound. I put the new emblem on and it fitted perfectly as there are two holes on the bonnet for inserting. I sold the car last year and low and behold the garage took the emblem off. How very Irish.

Advertisement