Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cantec is a ripoff!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

A lot of the shops in Manor Mills are rip-off joints TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭St_Crispin

I have a friend who like to go in there and ask them techie questions about their products. I've had some laughs at the stories he tells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Hmm..... I got a USB Keyboard thar cheap enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

DingChavez wrote:
    Hmm..... I got a USB Keyboard thar cheap enough.
    I suppose you can find one offs....I got a ream of paper in there for €3.49 which is the same as tescos but "in general" it's very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Anyone that know anything about computers knows not to shop here, there service contract are an even bigger joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

St_Crispin wrote:
    I have a friend who like to go in there and ask them techie questions about their products. I've had some laughs at the stories he tells.

You both need to get out more. Badly!

Gael wrote:
    You both need to get out more. Badly!
    Oi, he gets out plenty. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Gael wrote:
    A lot of the shops in Manor Mills are rip-off joints TBH.

yeah, but whats with everyone buyin all the 2 for 1 pastry.
    I'm already addicted to those custard/chocolate/pastry things but they cost like e1.50 each.
    STOP EATING THEM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Went into Cantec yesterday, they were playing downloaded episodes of Lost Season 2 (with the abc watermark in the corner). They are very overpriced on everything, laptops were about 20% more expensive than other shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

mloc123 wrote:
    Went into Cantec yesterday, they were playing downloaded episodes of Lost Season 2 (with the abc watermark in the corner). They are very overpriced on everything, laptops were about 20% more expensive than other shops.
    Very unprofessional, and if this is true, its also illegal.
    *cough*
    Cantec is a ripoff!
    in other news, the sky is blue and the pope is a catholic. :v:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

They could have atleast cropped the image to remove the abc watermark :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭St_Crispin

I hear they were playing king kong a couple of weeks ago.

To be fair to them (if there is such a thing) most of those places are ripoffs.
    PC world is another example.
    Even in hardware stores like peats there's a huge markup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 oldnamebanned

in fairness they aren't any more expensive than PCWorld.... €25 for a 2m cross-over cable? haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I went in the other day to see what routers they had.Belkin modem/router was 149 euro.I got the same one in Argos for 99 and they through in a wireless adaptor worth 50 euro for free!So I actually saved myself 100 euro had I shopped in Cantec.
    Having said that they had quite a nice canon 5 megapixel camera for 130...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

The price differences vary from product to product-sometimes Cantec is cheaper, sometimes their not. And at least some of it is to do with buying power. PCWorld may order 100 of something but if Cantec only order 20 then PCWorld will get them cheaper. Its economics.

I know a staff member and numerous times in Dublin, Liffey Valley, Blanchardstown, etc. he'll say 'we're E15 cheaper than that' or 'they're beating us on price'. It pays to shop around. On some things other stores may be cheaper than Cantec but not on everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

I was looking at a laptop in there but ended up buying it 250 euro cheaper in Dixons! Their iPod nanos are 80euro more than where i work too!

But they can hardly be expected to compete on prices with people like Dixons or PCWorld, who have hundreds of stores in the UK and Ireland and can buy in bulk cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

instead of knocking cantech about their prices, can anyone reccommend somewhere better to get a good laptop at reasonable prices? Id prefer not to buy from a website or second hand. Absolute top budget 1,000€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

St_Crispin wrote:
    I hear they were playing king kong a couple of weeks ago.

To be fair to them (if there is such a thing) most of those places are ripoffs.
    PC world is another example.
    Even in hardware stores like peats there's a huge markup.

Ahem.....so hows work?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I've never even noticed Cantec, which one is it? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭quickstitch.ie

Put your haggling hats on folks!!

In fairness to them in there, I got a good few quid off when I did a bit of haggling about a month ago there... happeed to be the manager I was chatting to, small guy, seemed a bit foreign..... was getting a fax machine and ended up getting sat nav as well seeing as they were at the right price!

repeat after me...
    "XXX has the same one for €X, can you do any better?"
    "I wasn't planning on spending that much"
    "is that the best you can do?"

hmm and haw alot, look like you're really interested, but just not 100% sure... stall without saying anything... enough of a silence will prompt the salesman to think he's nearly got the sale and will probably drop it a bit to close the sale

if it's not getting you too far, see what they would throw in to sweeten the deal? ink, paper, etc (or even once you've beaten down the price already, always nice to get these extra)

If no joy you can always walk out the door, good to get practice in either way!

Go forth and save!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭quickstitch.ie

Works in a lot of places! Didn't get too far in pc world I might add tho, got a lap top case thrown in with my lap top there, was hoping for a bit more! You've a better chance I reckon if you're dealing with someone higher up the employee food chain, they'll probably be used to haggling if they've been there a while.. works especially well with small shops where they appreciate your repeat business, even if you get 4 or 5 quid off, it's almost worth a free pint in the roost!

Advertisement