Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DOS program in XP

• 17-02-2006 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Have a DOS program that works fine in windows 9x but won't in XP. Basically it's a program for reading a clocking-in system via the serial port(rs232). Copied the program to an 9x machine and it worked striaght up. I've tried checking "Run in Windows 95 mode" but it still doesn't work. The program starts ok but it can't find the clocking-in machine via com1. Any ideas? Is there an emulation program?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

9x was based on dos, xp isnt, thats the prob.
    try one of these they might do it
    http://users.netwit.net.au/~pursang/dosbox.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

The problem isn't that its a dos program, sounds like your serial port isn't configured properly under Winxp. Go to Devices and check to see if you even have a com1 installed (or any other com port) and make sure that com1 actually refers to your xp box serial port 1. It may be com2 or com3 (or anything!), seen as your modem is also taking up a com port.
    If there was a compatability issue, like 16 bit hardware issues, winXp would warn you about it when you tried to run the program.
    Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭theshadow

Cheers, checked the device manager and bios settings, it has one serial port which uses com1(3f8 irq4). I think it's still a compatibity issue as it won't work on the two XP machines I tried while the two 98 machines worked fine.
    Re DOSBOX does it talk directly to the hardware or via XP? Not in the shop at moment but it's worth a try. BTW, could you setup a script to run in DOSBOX i.e. mount drives, setup printers and start a program?

I came accross the following site:
    http://www.rc-soar.com/multiplex/4000/p4000dosbox/
    Seems similar to my problem.

DOSBOX worked a treat. Can't print but can output data to file and then print in XP.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement