Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good guy to do an inspection

Options
  • 17-02-2006 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know a reputable guy to do an inspection for my B'in'Law ?
    Do the AA/RAC do them ?

I would do it but, I do not want to be responsible just in case :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Both the AA and RAC do them but they are not cheap around €200 if I remember correctly.

Any good mechanic can do it, all you need to do is find one you can trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The AA charge between €321 and €472 depending on engine size! :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

I rememeber an old boss of mine got the AA in england to inspect a saab on his behalf - it passed with flying colours and dont you know the engine exploded 1 month after he got it - if you know a good mechanic and he doesnt mind looking at it 0 I think its the best way to go.

The AA and RAC test are a bit like the NCT and dont get me started on that !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

If it's for the NCT, why don't you just pay the €50 and they'll tell you what's wrong with it and then you can just get them bits fixed and re-test for either free or €27:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

cormie wrote:
    If it's for the NCT, why don't you just pay the €50 and they'll tell you what's wrong with it and then you can just get them bits fixed and re-test for either free or €27:)

Good advice, because most decent mechanics will do the same..tell you to send it in and see what it fails on. As long as its not a rough car to begin with.

• Advertisement

Good advice, because most decent mechanics will do the same..tell you to send it in and see what it fails on. As long as its not a rough car to begin with.

Well I went in with my 96 Micra which hadn't had a service in nearly 8 months or so, passed no problem, I was like this: :eek: :D

Not even the headlight alignment failed!

Then I brought my new 91 Fiesta in just about a month ago and it failed only on a cracked wing mirror, got a replacement for €10 in a scrap yard, and it passed. I was like :eek: again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

cormie wrote:

Thanks guys but it's not for the nct, he's buying a car and wants an honest opinion. I have a good clue but am not gonna give the nod as I might never leave it down if it turns out a lemon. ( I'm looking for a fall guy if it's a tart ;) )
    Cheers
    Rob

When I was looking for a car, I got the seller to drive to Bray (my town) and bring it to a garage where a mechanic had a look at it. He took it for a spin, put it up on the lift and all that. He saved me buying a car which would have cost me €800 or so to fix something, and that was after paying the seller. Needless to say, I sent them back to Waterford and kept my money. The mechanic said don't buy it unless you can get it for X amount, I said that but they wouldn't budge on their price.

the name of the garage is Ryan and O'Brien, it's in Industrial Yarns, Bray. The guys name who looked at mine was... trying to remember... nope.. hang on.. no I can't remember sorry:(

If you want to know let me know and I'll find out. Bray might be too far from you or it may not.

Advertisement