Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Agent_X wrote:
    ...talk about sellouts. They are trying 2 hard to go with the trend. U don't hear them blasting out any classics anymore.
    Do you mean in general or on their records?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

LundiMardi wrote:
    this is a good read, keep it coming people, it's nice to read over peoples opinions without reading stupid comments/remarks.
    I'm with ya on that one.
    talk about sellouts. They are trying 2 hard to go with the trend. U don't hear them blasting out any classics anymore.

I don't agree with you on that one at all. Load and the albums after that up to st. anger were not the metallica I started listening to 18 years ago (jaysus) but then I'm not the person I was 18 years ago - thank god for all concerned. You have to put each album in context. And St anger is hardly commercial is it? It's not exactly being played off the radio. If you're younger, you'll probably like the music they made when they were younger, but you know, its all good. If you don't like them, you don't like them, but you can't accuse them of being sellouts. They're not Kiss - yet. And I'll say again, every time I've gone to see them, they've been brilliant. and at the end of the day, thats the main thing.

tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Doctor J wrote:
    It was really just hearing Ain't My Bitch for the first time and reading the inlay thinking "What the hell has happened here?" :v:

That's actualyl hilarious considering what the song is about.

That stuff doesn't bother me since it's still talented people churning out talentful songs. What would really piss me off would be having to listen to a band churn out the same old stuff every album, ala Megadeth and Maiden.

I'm not sayign St. Anger was very good but we're atleast guaranteed that the next album will be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Aye, Ain't My Bitch, followed by 2x4, followed by I dunno whatever the Hell is on that cursed album. It just lacked the energy, the fire, the passion of the early stuff, the things which made them so special. All mid-tempo plod rock, bloated and pompous which I still can't bother listening to, not because of who they were and what they became, just because I thing they're really weak songs, honestly. Their legacy keeps me coming back but their recent output drives me away time after time. Seriously, I remember looking out the window of the bus, going through Ranelagh, then going back to the inlay... the band I had loved for 8 years at that point was gone and in their place was this... horrible, horrible thing. I couldn't tell you what the lyrics were about, their take on Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves I gather, I listened to the whole thing through once in total disbelief and then only came back periodically to check to see if it sucked as much as I thought it did :p

Funnily enough, I did the same with stanger (I didn't bother getting Reload because it was just another serving of ****e), with stanger they had been playing the old stuff exclusively at gigs before it came out and there was much talk of a return to form, etc, so foolishly I took the gamble and bought the cd... and lost :)

I still go back to it every now and then just to make sure it's as bad as I remember.

The documentary, I must say, I can watch again and again :D

As for Megadeth being repetative.... eh maybe Youthanasia and Crytpic Writings were kind of similar but that's about it. Risk was a bag of ****e in an entirely innovative way.

Ah no, the 'Bitch' in 'Ain't my Bitch' refers not to a woman or anything, but about bitchiness, whineing, moaning etc... from fans about their new 'sirection'.
    Basically saying 'so what. we're doing what we want.'...or some such jazz.

I know what you mean about Megadeth but when I listen to old school Megadeth, it just sounds (to me) like the same old idea strummed out a few times whereas while old school Metallica was in the same genre, every song had a unique feel to it.
    Ofocurse my opinions aren't fact but that's just how I feel listening to Megadeth, Maidend or your average thrash band.

• Advertisement

All we have is our own opinions :)

Nah, it's intersting to hear other people's perspectives on this, it's a good thing. This is a good thread. For me, I grew up with the first four albums, coming on board around the time of Garage Days Revisited, Metallica were a huge part of my youth and there's enough in the those albums for me to still think they might just one day get it back. I learned to play bass by playing along to Cliff Em All. The Black album, I suppose I like it, but there are parts which make me cringe (the intro to Don't Tread On Me, the "Seek the wolf within thyself" bit and more) but Load... Jaysus, it slayed me. It's not that I don't like softer music (I'm currently loading some Travis into my ipod :p ) but it's just that... growing up with AJFA and MOP especially... seeing them on the AJFA and Black album tours... I didn't really believe in the music from Load onwards. It didn't ring true for me, though I appreciate my history with them colours my opinion on the new stuff. I have actually tried, really made an effort, to get into Load and Reload but they just leave me cold. The band that I knew back then doesn't really appear to be a part of what has gone on since the mid 90's, if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Some good points here on both sides of the argument. And without people getting slayed for the opinions.

Personally, i dont mind the Load or Re-load albums. They arent the worse. If it wasnt for my bro makin me listen to Until It Sleeps, i mightnt like good old rock music. Im lookin forward to the new album. Should be interestin to hear it. If they were to release an album that had the same sound as an old album, id prefer Ride the Lightning. The perfect transition of sound between KEA and MOP. I would love to have been around when they first started comin big. Would have been interestin to hear the progression of sound at the time. not like doin it over an hour or so at home nowadays.

As for Rob Trujillio recordin himself on the new album, i hope he adds a new dimension to Metallica. And a positive one at that obviously. Lets keep our hopes up anyway, should be interestin to hear. Now for metallica tickets in 8 hours. YAYYYYYY!!!

DoctorJ wrote:
    All we have is our own opinions

Nah, it's intersting to hear other people's perspectives on this, it's a good thing. This is a good thread. For me, I grew up with the first four albums, coming on board around the time of Garage Days Revisited, Metallica were a huge part of my youth and there's enough in the those albums for me to still think they might just one day get it back. I learned to play bass by playing along to Cliff Em All. The Black album, I suppose I like it, but there are parts which make me cringe (the intro to Don't Tread On Me, the "Seek the wolf within thyself" bit and more) but Load... Jaysus, it slayed me. It's not that I don't like softer music (I'm currently loading some Travis into my ipod ) but it's just that... growing up with AJFA and MOP especially... seeing them on the AJFA and Black album tours... I didn't really believe in the music from Load onwards. It didn't ring true for me, though I appreciate my history with them colours my opinion on the new stuff. I have actually tried, really made an effort, to get into Load and Reload but they just leave me cold. The band that I knew back then doesn't really appear to be a part of what has gone on since the mid 90's, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, that makes sense.
    I agree that black was a god album and it definatly had alot of cringe worthy moments on it.

But what I always ask people is, why do we have to compare their albums at all?
    Sure Load etc... is nothing compared to the likes of MOP but as stand alone albums, I still think that each Metallica album is quality and excels at whatever the hell genre each happens to be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Doctor J wrote:
    All we have is our own opinions :)

Nah, it's intersting to hear other people's perspectives on this, it's a good thing. This is a good thread. For me, I grew up with the first four albums, coming on board around the time of Garage Days Revisited, Metallica were a huge part of my youth and there's enough in the those albums for me to still think they might just one day get it back. I learned to play bass by playing along to Cliff Em All. The Black album, I suppose I like it, but there are parts which make me cringe (the intro to Don't Tread On Me, the "Seek the wolf within thyself" bit and more) but Load... Jaysus, it slayed me. It's not that I don't like softer music (I'm currently loading some Travis into my ipod :p ) but it's just that... growing up with AJFA and MOP especially... seeing them on the AJFA and Black album tours... I didn't really believe in the music from Load onwards. It didn't ring true for me, though I appreciate my history with them colours my opinion on the new stuff. I have actually tried, really made an effort, to get into Load and Reload but they just leave me cold. The band that I knew back then doesn't really appear to be a part of what has gone on since the mid 90's, if you know what I mean.

The albums maybe bad in your opinion but i still think its better that Metallica keep releasing albums for as long as they can for one reason.And that reason is to keep bringing in new fans who will try out there old stuff.

For example

When i started getting into Rock/Metal in 2002/2003.I was only listening to Korn, Deftones, Slipknot even Linkin Park:o :o .Then Metallica released St.Anger.I didn't know much about Metallica at the time,i knew they were big and all that from my older brother but i had never listened to them.

So when i got this album,i put it on and thought it was great(don't ask me why) and this made me think what there old stuff ws like,so i went out and got Kill 'Em All - The Black Album(they were all only 9.99 :D ) over about a month.

And since then i have never looked back.i have started listening to lots of other stuff Pantera, Nevermore,Slayer, Opeth, Death etc.And i kind of owe it all to St.anger

So i will be happy if Metallica release another album if it keeps pulling in new fans to listen to the old stuff

But what I always ask people is, why do we have to compare their albums at all?

I wouldn't compare them at all, you take each one as it comes. Bands change, they evolve, I wouldn't compare early Death compared to the later stuff, or early Black Sabbath vs later Sabbath, to me they're either good or bad on their own. I can dig Eternal Idol in a huge way even though it had little to do with Master Of Reality. Just listening to Load and Reload, be it objectively or subjectively, does nothing for me. I have one of the Jools Holland DVDs with a performance of Hero Of The Day (I think) on it and it's just... meh. Even the Cunning Stunts dvd... me and a mate stood for about 15 minutes when it was on sale in HMV and worked out that there was about 60% "good" tunes on it, so it was worth the €12 they were looking for. I brought it home and even the old stuff is delivered in, to me, a horrible, forced way. It's so choreographed, so overly "Yeah 'tallica is here for you the fans" beating a fist into the chest, "we mean it, maaaaan"... gah I can't bring myself to watch it again. I just don't get it.

I am interested in hearing what people find good in those albums. I don't get them, but a lot of people do, so let the discussions continue, I say.
    Mushy wrote:
    Some good points here on both sides of the argument. And without people getting slayed for the opinions.

Indeed. It's time for the slaying to come to an end. It's quite refreshing to engage in disussion for a change :)

• Advertisement

Who's actually going to the gig in the RDS, i'm just about to buy tickets.

bought and paid for... €80 each!! although i'm an old fogie at this stage, i like my seats so i does, no standing for me thank you!

Does anyone here actually prefer the late 90's stuff to the early stuff? I personally thing the older stuff sounds so dated and the production, guitar tones, pretty much everything sounds really bad! Where as i love the production in load, the guitar tones are sweet and i do think they pull out some great songs! hero of the day, Bleeding Me, 2X4 etcetera, that's just me i guess though:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Got my ticket for the Rds gig. can't wait. I've seen them 3 times before
    Back on topic though i actually love Load & Reload (but my fave Metallica song is Dyers Eve) but not impressed with St Anger. 2 ok songs. The rest of it to me sounded like a jam session (cut & pasted) I first heard them back in 93 and i was amazed. The old albums are also great but to me Load & Reload sounded more mature though some might say more commercial but as was pointed out earlier a band can't keep rehashing earlier albums. I'm actually listening to The Rds gig 04 right now. It's available from livemetallica.com. So anyway lets hope the new album isn't like St Anger:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

LundiMardi wrote:
    Does anyone here actually prefer the late 90's stuff to the early stuff? I personally thing the older stuff sounds so dated and the production, guitar tones, pretty much everything sounds really bad! Where as i love the production in load, the guitar tones are sweet and i do think they pull out some great songs! hero of the day, Bleeding Me, 2X4 etcetera, that's just me i guess though:o

I dont really 'prefer' the late 90s stuff. My friends just think I sit on the fence when I say I love it all....from Metal Militia to Mama Said. Just something about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

apparently everyone i know is going to the gig. including my girlfriend, who doesn't even like metallica. i guess i'm going then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Steoob wrote:
    i think its fake because they sold out... maybe fake was harsh but they are playing their new music to make money IMO
    In all fariness there sven, They didnt intend to sell out, they thought they were getting away from all that driving the album in a heavier direction(which lets face it, it was after load and reload).The songs i think were meant to be short simple heavy and catchy but they just turned out terrible having only 2 IMO half listenable songs on the entire album; sweet amber and the unnamed feeling.By half listenable i mean that i could listen to them in the backround without having to change but they really just are not metallica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

That is encouraging. Rubin has, after all, produced two of the finest albums of all time, specifically Trouble's self titled album and Masters Of Reality's Blue Garden.

Also BSSM with the Chili's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahhhhhhhhhhh I CANT ****ING WAIT TO HEAR THIS. Hope im not setting myself for a huge let down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Rick Rubin, sounds like it could be good. The guy is a living legend.

From wikipedia.........
    Later he developed a reputation as a "song doctor" who, by performing the same reduction on the sound of veteran singers and bands, could help them break out of the commercial rut they were currently in. He did this most notably with Johnny Cash, but also achieved this effect with Tom Petty, AC/DC (on the album Ballbreaker) and Neil Diamond (on 12 Songs).

clicky

fingers crossed!

rick ruben didn't save soad's last effort so i'm not going to put too much on him. metallica, at the end of the day, have to write this stuff. not rick.

Doctor J wrote:
    Just listening to Load and Reload, be it objectively or subjectively, does nothing for me. I have one of the Jools Holland DVDs with a performance of Hero Of The Day (I think) on it and it's just... meh.

I am interested in hearing what people find good in those albums. I don't get them, but a lot of people do, so let the discussions continue, I say.

Yeah, I dig. These albums do, do it for me, not to say that they're the preferred or anything.
    What I like about these I guess might have something to do with all the different genres I like. I like blues so I like Metallicas take on the blues etc...
    I like industrial and would probably like their next album if it was industrial.

At the same time, there's some great riffage and some very innovative styles (maybe not innovative to us now but innovative for Metallica at that time), techniques and some very good lyrics.
    You seem to know a thing or two about music and have eclectic tastes yourself so I really can't understand how there is absoloutly nothing about these albums that you like. The only thing I can think of is the jumping on the wagon in different generations.
    That said, had I been around then, I could be in the same boat as you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

At ****ing last no more bob rock rick rubin has been named as the producer of the new metallica album FU(K YEA!!!!!!!

to read up on the story check out the link http://www.smnnews.com/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1140124600&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

Or you could read back a few posts where I told everyone about it..... :p

That's my bad. I merged a new thread into this one, one Metallica thread is enough, should've pointed it out.

I'll listen to stanger all the way through as punishment :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

Doctor J wrote:
    That's my bad. I merged a new thread into this one, one Metallica thread is enough, should've pointed it out.

I'll listen to stanger all the way through as punishment :v:
    But you still have so much to live for!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Slurms wrote:

That is pretty sweet! Itll be good for them to break away and try with a different producer for a change. Note the way in one of the photos Kirk is sitting on a sofa and it looks like he's straying past the 12th fret....practicing potential new solos for the album maybe??:D

• Advertisement

word on the street is that the RDS gig will be supported by prodigy and korn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement