Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

KoRn are confirmed, that's all I know.

Ok, just to clear up with mods, this isn't me posting something that's been posted already.
    I started this for actual discussion of the matter.

So what does everybody think?

I think (am hoping) it will be a good thing but I think there are some cons as well as pros. Rubin has had his hands in some of the greatest albums of the past twenty years.
    That said though...he also produced SOADs last two albums and we all know how people feel about them by now. It's like he couldn't save them from their own 'creativity' and I think Metallica are more likely to fall victim to this type of thing themselves. Victims of their own creativity if you will.

All the same though, with the backlash on the bad elements of St.Anger, Trujhilos (sp?) input, return of solos and Rubins input...I really can't wait to hear the new album.
    Anybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

I'm personally delighted(though I think this thread will be shot down). Really good to see them take a step back and take a look at ways of improving on St.Anger and progressing. I'm not going to bash Bob Rock, he did good and bad but you just have to look at some of the albums Rubin has worked on to see the talent he has, albums like Seasons in the Abyss, South of Heaven and Reign in Blood are classics and I really do belief that the next Metallica album now has the potential to be another masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I think it's great - new producer, fresh input from Rick Rubin as well as Rob Trujillo (assuming they let him contribute to the songwriting). Whether or not Metallica still have the hunger to go out & make a classic album remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Prodigy, although im not really into dance fully, would be mental and class. Definately wouldnt miss 'em

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

i can just imagine the amount of Spa's at this gig if they're supporting. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

LundiMardi wrote:
    i can just imagine the amount of Spa's at this gig if they're supporting. :(

Can only be a good thing, music barriers are breaking down all the time and if some people can get converted to either band after the gig so be it.

kinda good mix though. First band, more dance style, then second band a bit of decks or dance style stuff with metal in their, then metallica, a full metal band with no "dance" style to them. Kind of a weird thing to see. Even if the prodigy are announced, most of these so-called "spas" wouldnt get tickets cos they already on sale a while and not all would get tickets for it!

Note: Im usin the term dance unfairly here but Prodigy obviously arent metal but not fully dance and same with Korn. Its just the easiest term to use for the use of decks methinks. Bloody generalisation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

By the way, while on the subject of Metallica, heres one for the guitarists to enjoy....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrjHJ9NKHmk

CAnnt believe this thread is still open:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Rubin will probably show hetfield the wonders of meditation and make james write cheesy lyrics.

it worked for weezer :p

Mushy wrote:
    Note: Im usin the term dance unfairly here but Prodigy obviously arent metal but not fully dance and same with Korn. Its just the easiest term to use for the use of decks methinks. Bloody generalisation!

KoRn...dance? Turntables?
    What the hell are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

nk?

That said though...he also produced SOADs last two albums and we all know how people feel about them by now. It's like he couldn't save them from their own 'creativity' and I think Metallica are more likely to fall victim to this type of thing themselves. Victims of their own creativity if you will.
    He produced ALL their albums you wazzock.And (In my opnion) they're all fantastic.

He produced ALL their albums you wazzock.And (In my opnion) they're all fantastic.

I know he did.
    But I was highlighting the most recent disasters he has worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Yeah,he must be thinking of limp bizkit or linkin park or something but it definately isn't Korn!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

albums like Seasons in the Abyss, South of Heaven and Reign in Blood are classics and I really do belief that the next Metallica album now has the potential to be another masterpiece.

True, but are Metallica still capable of what Slayer put into those? That was a great band at its peak. Metallica are not at that level anymore in my opinion, but this has lots of potential to salvage their dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

:(
    None of my friends are interested in going. Is it sad to attend a concert on your own?

They do have turntables and that sort of crap dont they? I know they not dance but its nu-metal which has that kinda thing in it. Its confusin to explain cos i dont know how to put it down. Id compare Korn to Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park though...all s***e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

daiixi wrote:
    None of my friends are interested in going. Is it sad to attend a concert on your own?

Not at all. You'll make loads of new friends there. Go and have a great time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

daiixi wrote:

No man, certainly not, I mean if I had been afraid of attending concerts on my own I would have never seen some of the greatest bands to come to Ireland in the last few years.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote:
    They do have turntables and that sort of crap dont they? I know they not dance but its nu-metal which has that kinda thing in it. Its confusin to explain cos i dont know how to put it down. Id compare Korn to Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park though...all s***e!

No, Korn do not have turn tables and they, like many other nu-metal bands, they have no elements of dance music in their music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Mushy wrote:

Is it possible you might be confusing dance with hip hop?:confused:

Mushy wrote:

How can you know they are ****e?cause you must never have heard them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

korn were fantastic for a while but they're just old and tired. how they write melodramatic stuff about childhood "issues" while in their multi-million dollar mansions is beyond me

korn were fantastic for a while but they're just old and tired. how they write melodramatic stuff about childhood "issues" while in their multi-million dollar mansions is beyond me

Davis hasn't really sung about that for three albums now,
    but i really just kind of meant it for mushy,you are entitled to your opinion by all means.But he seems to have called them sh*te when it sounds like he has no clue who they even are

But we shouldn't be talking about this here,its way off topic

More dates announced on Metallica.com for Austria June 15 Nickelsdorf and Berlin on the 6th of June at Waldebuhne. This has me wondering of a couple of things. 1) Is it possible that they will be able to write and record an album in the next 3/4 months? 2) how long are they planning on going out of the studio for?(anyone remember the last time they did it?) And 3) if the new album is not finished why not just get it finished and then take it on tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

1) Is it possible that they will be able to write and record an album in the next 3/4 months? 2) how long are they planning on going out of the studio for?(anyone remember the last time they did it?) And 3) if the new album is not finished why not just get it finished and then take it on tour?

I guess it is possible before then. They have been working on it for a good while now. Whether they will or not...

It's meant to be a fairly short break. But the last time they did it was during the break between load and reload, that was probably for about 6months to a year.

Cause they don't want to.... i dunno...

If they're taking a break from recording, I seriously doubht the album will be finished in time for said break.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

if the new album is not finished why not just get it finished and then take it on tour?

chances are they've hit a bit of a roadblock creatively. so to remedy this they're going on tour, getting a bit of inspiration and letting off some steam. then they can go back to the studio with the bits and pieces they wrote on the back of the bus and make some new songs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

If they're taking a break from recording, I seriously doubht the album will be finished in time for said break.

yeah...good point...:rolleyes: unless they're making two albums...restanger...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement