Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearwire -v- Irish Broadband

• 17-02-2006 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Was just wondering what the best wireless service to go with would be? I am moving into Rathmines and wont have a phone line. Any recommendations?

Regards

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Your 2 main options are basically Clearwire & Irish Broadband. There may be others I'm not too sure. I've heard horrible stories about Irish Broadband but I think maybe the have sorted themselves out. Clearwire seem pretty good, pretty simple and next day delivery. It depends what sort of line you want.

I'd love to hear the opinions of both clearwire and IBB users to help make the decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Friend of mine in college is in the process of getting clearwire removed after getting installed a week or two ago. He's having a lot of problems with it. IBB are generally a nightmare...

You might be able to get digiweb's Metro service... but i'm not too sure how reliable that is either. If you want guaranteed reliability, get ADSL. Clearwire next, then Metro (simply because its still new, and has no long trackrecord as of yet) and lastly IBB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Other than various infuriating traffic shaping, Clearwire is pretty decent. But it's more expensive than the vastly superior ADSL offerings from BT Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Blaster99 wrote:
    Other than various infuriating traffic shaping, Clearwire is pretty decent. But it's more expensive than the vastly superior ADSL offerings from BT Ireland.

Is it possible to go with BT Ireland even without a phone line?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I currently use UTV ADSL 3mb. Its great apart from occaisional line drops. However, its costing me €45 per month, plus €25 line rental. UTV have a 16gb cap, however a new service let you get unlimited for €5 a month, as long as you don't abuse it during peak hours. Its agreat having a 3mb uncalled line, but €75 a month is a lot for broadband... I want to go wireless so I can get rid of the line rental and lower my bill, but it is worth saving a few quid for a crappy service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I know ur looking for wireless, cause you have no phoneline, but is it matter of getting broadband quickly or that you DONT want to spend money on a phone line. If its the money why not look at Smart Telecom, their still paying customers line rentals at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I know ur looking for wireless, cause you have no phoneline, but is it matter of getting broadband quickly or that you DONT want to spend money on a phone line. If its the money why not look at Smart Telecom, their still paying customers line rentals at the moment.

Do they pay line rental for life? The waiting time to get the line installed is a major factor. I would'nt mind having a phone line, but the waiting time, and installlation costs are pushing me towards wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Zascar wrote:
    I currently use UTV ADSL 3mb. Its great apart from occaisional line drops. However, its costing me €45 per month, plus €25 line rental. UTV have a 16gb cap, however a new service let you get unlimited for €5 a month, as long as you don't abuse it during peak hours. Its agreat having a 3mb uncalled line, but €75 a month is a lot for broadband... I want to go wireless so I can get rid of the line rental and lower my bill, but it is worth saving a few quid for a crappy service?

Or just change over to BT Ireland where the same thing costs €50 inc line rental.

Thanks blaster just called them it sounds good...

Advertisement