Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

W900 + Meteor SIM card

• 17-02-2006 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a W900i and can tell me if a Meteor SIM card will use the 2g capabilities of the phone with no problems? I know I won't have 3G with Meteor so please, no posts stating the obvious. I just want to be able to make calls, send texts, and access GPRS with the w900i, and maybe use my O2 sim once they get their 3G working.

I know some 3G phones don't accept 2g or 2.5g sims. If anyone could confirm, it'd be appreciated.

Comments

I don't have a W900i but I know that with the Nokia 6680 a Meteor SIM works just fine. The only problem is that you should disable 3G in the network settings, otherwise if you're in an O2 roaming area the phone may try to lock on to the 3G O2 network, which isn't allowed (Meteor customers can only use the 2.5G O2 network). As a result your phone will appear to have no signal even though O2 and Meteor have coverage in the area.

Most SIM cards work in 3G phones, the only exceptions are usually really old ones such as Eircell or Esat SIMs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I know for a fact that Meteor SIM cards DO NOT work in any Samsung 3G phone, nor does it work in the K608i. I think the V800 works. If I can totally disable the 3G, it should work, but I don't think you can in 3G Samsung models

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

chrislad wrote:
    I know for a fact that Meteor SIM cards DO NOT work in any Samsung 3G phone, nor does it work in the K608i. I think the V800 works. If I can totally disable the 3G, it should work, but I don't think you can in 3G Samsung models

A Meteor SIM works perfectly well in a SE V600i which is identical to the K608i except for the Vodafone firmware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

No one said it didn't. :)

I know it doesn't work properly with some SE phones that are branded, and the same goes for the Samsung ones. Branded Nokias and Motorolas have little problems. Sharp ones do have problem, if I recall correctly.

Advertisement