Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision Song

• 17-02-2006 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭

Is is tonight that we get to vote on the Eurovision song when Brian Kennedy performs them on the Late Late?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Enii wrote:
    Is is tonight that we get to vote on the Eurovision song when Brian Kennedy performs them on the Late Late?

Yes, tonight is the night, details of the songs can be found at

http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

I really dont see why all the fuss, Our eurovision time is gone. Its for the eastern europeans with there big dance routines and their hot women!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Tonight's show is being webcast live on the RTE website, is this RTE's first live webcast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

theyre all ****e why are they sending that gimp to eurovision dont they know we need a transvestite in a miniskirt to win??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Probably best to send Brian with his own song. At least if he doesn't do well he can't blame the song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

What a fcuking joke....thousands of songwriters submit their entry to RTE and Brian Kennedys song still manages to win, of course evryone deserves an equal opportunity but the fact that Brian is established and well known just takes the gloss off the final result for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

of course there is the possibility that it was actually the best song...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Surprise. Expect an angry Irish Times colume from John Waters!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I wish they'd had an option "d" to vote that they were all sh1te.

:eek:

radioman wrote:
    of course there is the possibility that it was actually the best song...
    Maybe, personally I preferred song A. It kinda helps that Brian has an established and large fan-base throughout the country so obviously they'd have voted in their thousands which is a distinct advantage from the outset.

• Advertisement

Not to take away from Brian, he has a FANTASTIC voice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

mike65 wrote:
    Surprise. Expect an angry Irish Times colume from John Waters!

Mike.
    I am already looking forward to it! What day is his column?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

While it was the best song and am glad that it won, I agree that Brian should not have been permitted to submit a song - he had an instant leading advantage and so it has turned out to be the case. You tell a week ago that he was going to win - he has a huge following.

Really and truly though, the production values of that programme were some of the worst I have ever seen on the Late Late - and that's something!
    Utterly abominable camerawork and vision mixing, and overall a woefully directed production.
    That Patrick Cowap ought to be shot. It was embarrassing to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

did they announce beforehand who wrote each song? if yes then they ****ed it up

Yes, so yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

What a farce!!!

from unison.ie
    Marie Swaby, a 52-year-old single mother, rang the Irish Independent in tears last night to say she has been driven to the brink because her phone number is one digit off that used by RTE for viewers to register their votes.

Instead of ringing the 151 preface for the mobile and text phone numbers used by RTE to register votes, viewers have been inundating her with phone calls at her private number instead.

"It's been going non-stop all night," she sobbed. "It's not the first time this has happened. It's been going on for a year, with the X-Factor and now this," she said.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Here's a idea Marie - might sound a bit crazy but give it a go next time. LEAVE YOUR PHONE OFF THE HOOK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Here's a idea Marie - might sound a bit crazy but give it a go next time. LEAVE YOUR PHONE OFF THE HOOK!

But why should she have to do that...what if people wanted to contact her??? She should be allowed to have her phone for use when she wants it, it is hardly her fault that her number is similar!

On another note...yeh the backlash from this after the controversy throughout the week especially on Liveline where they spoke to the guy who had the 4th song and John Waters with his song...it should be fun. And I would definitely be against Brian Kennedy submitting his song, as it gives him a major advantage...as shown last night :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

As a Jimmy McCarthy listener, I was able to tell which out of the 3 songs were his, I only saw the replay so they weren't introduced and I didn't already know. Does Brian Kennedy have a distinguishable writing/melody style? I don't really know his music so I wasn't able to tell. So would Kennedy fans have been able to tell which was his song without the writers of each song being mentioned anyway I wonder..

• Advertisement

Kennedy's style is annoying, "plaintive" high pitched warbleing! With a bit of cheesey upbeat emoting.

Mike.

Are they seriously trying to win it this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

What tone deaf idiots chose those three rubbish songs as the shortlist? If that's the best of all the entries I don't ever want to hear the other entries.

OFDM wrote:
    What tone deaf idiots chose those three rubbish songs as the shortlist? If that's the best of all the entries I don't ever want to hear the other entries.

Ah now, Jimmy McCarthy has some good stuff! I didn't the full song last night but if it's anything like his other material it should have been good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

cormie wrote:
    Ah now, Jimmy McCarthy has some good stuff! I didn't the full song last night but if it's anything like his other material it should have been good.
    No it wasn't!

Well I can't comment because I haven't heard it:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

ahh.. i was away and missed it!!! where can i hear Irelands song??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ahh.. i was away and missed it!!! where can i hear Irelands song??
    Don't worry, I'm sure it will be played to death in the next few months. And you didn't miss much - all three songs, including the winner, were quite forgettable.

Don Mescall's 'All Over the World' was the naffest piece of tripe I've heard since 'Millenium of Love' in 2000 by that Eamonn Toal - what an embarassment. The line 'while our footprints leave a harvest for the children' has burnt itself into my mind ever since - good Lord :rolleyes:

Mescall's was equally mucky slushy sure-isn't-the-human-race-fantastic-all-the-same generalised rubbish. Thank goodness it didn't get through - at least Kennedy's has a bit of depth and truth to it.

He was on with Marain Finucane this morning, and as always, whatever one may think of his music, he really is the most charming, nicest person you are ever likely to meet. He's very confident, but there's also a genuine modesty there that shines through. He's a natural performer, and not just with music - his conversation is fantastic as I've seen on countless media features by him.

The real question is whether Eurovision is ready for a ballad in 2006 - I very much doubt it. Put it this way, if you saw him sininging in May as the obscure unknown performer that he would be to you, representing Latvia, would you vote for him amongst everything else?

Unfortunately a person singing a traditional song with backing singers is deeply unmemorable in the context of all the other madness - instantly forgettable. I'm surprised his own song didn't make use of high notes, considering it is in this department that his voice is so unique and where he could have a real impact on a European audience. Nothing other than a moving up an octave or two at the very end just as Johnny Logan did in 1987.
    It needs more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Nearly vonitted listening to him on the Marianne Finucane show. He answered her final question by bursting tnto song.... jaysus, what's that about????

Confidant?? Up his own h@le I'd say. The whole thing was a fix and I hope hMpster face doesn't get through the first stage of the contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The eurovision is more about production, dancing, visuals, etc., than it is about solo singers standing in the middle of the stage singing about love.

He hasn't a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Malta had a solo singer last year as did Israel, 2nd and 4th respectively. As regards the songs I reckon his own song is the best of them but I can't see it winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

All the songs were bland rubbish, in keeping with the eurovision of the past. Nowadays they need dance routines and attractive singers.

So no Irish victory again this year, which is a blessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The eurovision is more about production, dancing, visuals, etc., than it is about solo singers standing in the middle of the stage singing about love.

Not nessecarily. As is_that_so pointed out, two countries did perfectly fine last year with ballads. Fortunately for them, they weren't complete dirge like this one is. Although, with a bit of arrangement re-jigging it could be better..it's no winner though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

The London Times has an article on this...Eurosong hits a bum note as winner denies biased contest

I have no interest in who wins the Eurovision. But what I saw on TV on Friday was a complete cop-out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

It was pretty stupid putting up a halfway poll that showed Kennedys song ahead and then reminding viewers that if they voted for the winner that they'd win the car. It was obvious from right there which was going to win.

essentially it was a rigged vote then?

couldnt RTÉ get into a lot of trouble with that

Mossy Monk wrote:
    essentially it was a rigged vote then?

couldnt RTÉ get into a lot of trouble with that
    who would they be in trouble with? Tbh, who really cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Of course it was rigged. The most obvious piece of dodginess is the fact Brian Kennedy was allowed to even enter his song in the first place!
    Joe Duffy had people on his show that had entered songs and they said that on the entrance form it said you couldn't enter if you were an employee of RTE or the production company making that show.

Brian Kennedy is an employee of the show. Why was HE allowed to break the rules?

Don't get me wrong, I think BK is a nice guy and he has a good voice but he should not have been allowed enter his own song. It's also a really unmemorable song. They do always say Ireland fixes it so we won't win because hosting the Eurovision costs so much, I think this confirms it!

Bond-007 wrote:
    who would they be in trouble with? Tbh, who really cares?

was voting free? i doubt it

• Advertisement

No. It wasn't a premium rate though either - kinda mid-range one.

Kenny was defending the showing of the leadership board and audience vote halfway through on the radio this morning - though only half-heartedly. He kept saying that after the leadership board and audience vote was cast, the incoming calls changed not in the slightest thereafter, as the records prove. However this does not get round the fact that people knew from the outset that Kennedy was going to win.

Indeed if anything, the lack of any change in the voting patterns post-leadership board merely goes to prove just how solid people were in their convictions from the very start that Kennedy was going to win!

Pat knew damn well his explanations were half-hearted - it is the ridiculous things like these that he rants on about on his radio programme every day! Civil servants and public bodies ect taking the public for mugs. Saying that, it wasn't his fault - indeed I suspect he knew only too well how dodgy this all was, only he isn't in a position to do anything about it as presenter.
    Just like the RTÉ management-forced imposition of the launch of Celebrity Farm on the Late Late, controversies like these do Pat nor the Late Late any favours.

Or she could charge €1/min for the calls I suppose...

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    No. It wasn't a premium rate though either - kinda mid-range one.

Kenny was defending the showing of the leadership board and audience vote halfway through on the radio this morning - though only half-heartedly. He kept saying that after the leadership board and audience vote was cast, the incoming calls changed not in the slightest thereafter, as the records prove. However this does not get round the fact that people knew from the outset that Kennedy was going to win.

Indeed if anything, the lack of any change in the voting patterns post-leadership board merely goes to prove just how solid people were in their convictions from the very start that Kennedy was going to win!

Pat knew damn well his explanations were half-hearted - it is the ridiculous things like these that he rants on about on his radio programme every day! Civil servants and public bodies ect taking the public for mugs. Saying that, it wasn't his fault - indeed I suspect he knew only too well how dodgy this all was, only he isn't in a position to do anything about it as presenter.
    Just like the RTÉ management-forced imposition of the launch of Celebrity Farm on the Late Late, controversies like these do Pat nor the Late Late any favours.

I don't give a stuff about the Eurosong but its a new low when you're getting bull****ted by Pat Kenny and Brian Kennedy.

I disagree that Kenny can't do anything about it. He could have flatly refused to give the scores on the doors half-way thru. You're quite right when you say that this is the kind of thing (bull**** & lies) that he bangs on about on the radio.

Interested parties might send the following to todaypk@rte.ie

Hypocrite
    n : a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he does not hold

It's always so obvious that Pat hates all this kinda sh*te that RTÉ often inflicts the Late Late - he goes along with it, and probably enjoys it on the night, but generally hates all the faffing about and media-spin before and mainly after such events.

What I found so cringe-inducingly embarrassing on the night was his pretend putting-hand-up-to-earpiece to hear the 'much-anticipated' :rolleyes: result - he doesn't even wear an earpiece!!!
    And even if you didn't know that, it was still so visually apparent there was nothing in his ear!
    How embarrassing. Especially when followed by his long pause as if waiting for the result, even though he was probably told 15 minutes previously.
    Dear oh dear....

Advertisement