Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ray Foley

• 17-02-2006 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

so what do we all think of him...and i promise it wont "degenerate" into pointless sniping

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'll keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

Not this topic again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Man on the moon

I love ray foley so so so so so so so so so so so much!!!!!!!!!!!!...And JP

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Not this topic again

ya do realise its never going to go away...ever

This is "degenerating into pointless sniping" warning number one. Please post constructive comments in a civil manner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

I propose a poll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

coming to this forum is my first ever exposure to him. i'll listen in to the show next week at some point and see if it's worth the hype.

you do that..and i promise you you will like it

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

ya i totally agree with you there they are funny guys everyone has to listen to their show funny to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rockystar

ray rocks...and it shows ppl love him...look how many threads were posted bout him!! RAY WE LOVE YOU!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

rockystar wrote:
    look how many threads were posted bout him!! RAY WE LOVE YOU!!
    That just proves his listeners are spammy gits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marcra

Ray is one of the greatest DJs to ever grace the radio.Him and JP are different and that's what makes them the only radio show that i listen to.
    Instead of putting on an act of always being nice and cheerful,they act like any one of us would on a normal day.And they have the ability to make fun of themselves which is a great quality to have.
    So to finish,,Ray Foley is great! and LONG LAST THE BLAST!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yeah, i think Ray Foley is a great personality, and will go far, i can see him being the next Ryan Tuburty if he plays his cards right! It is pretty clear that he will fill Ray D'arcy's slot once he leaves, that will give him much more exposure!!!

That just proves his listeners are spammy gits.

ya cant say that...there is a lot of us on this

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

monkeyfudge you are digging yourself into a hole calling us spammy gits is the wrong thing to say you are obviously culturly challenged:mad:

There may be many fans of this programme on Boards, however this does not mean you can all start your own individual thread on them. Viota please read the charter, especially the part about being polite and courteous to other users.

EDIT: This is "degenerating into pointless sniping" warning number two. If I see the thread continue in this manner it will be locked. Please remember post constructively and civilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rockystar

riteo!! the blast rocks....i just hav 2 say that again
    'from cork to roscommon....'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

a new listener to the programme, i'm liking it more every listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

A likeable show - never afraid to push the barriers in terms of decency and taste, but should sometimes exercise some control - gratuitous and 'for-the-sake-of-it' use of swear words is so Gerry Ryan in the 80's.

Dislike about half of his music, but I regularly find myself in the car during his show, and it is always something I dip into and dip out of.

I can see him getting a higher profile show on TodayFm in the future. But if he goes earlier in the day he will lose his audience somewhat, and will need to adapt his style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ah you can't take Ray Foley seriously. Its a good programme to listen to if you just wanna wind down and have a few laughs at night. It's definately aimed at a younger audience. Some of the things on the show are funny, others just stupid but no programme is perfect.

Just two questions(if you don't mind):

1. Is JP the same John-Paul who works on Spin103.8 who does the news and sometimes entertainment?

2. Which radio station is Ray moving to? Is he going back to Spin???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

His show reminds me of this....

Tedious to say the least, and nothing funny to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Ray is God's gift to Radio. I never turn off his show with a frown. Listen to RTE Radio 1 and you're nearly guaranteed to be in a bad mood when the news is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

I dont rate him at all.A lot of the same old same old as with a lot of DJS .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭listowel1

Larianne wrote: »
    Ah you can't take Ray Foley seriously. Its a good programme to listen to if you just wanna wind down and have a few laughs at night. It's definately aimed at a younger audience. Some of the things on the show are funny, others just stupid but no programme is perfect.

Just two questions(if you don't mind):

1. Is JP the same John-Paul who works on Spin103.8 who does the news and sometimes entertainment?

2. Which radio station is Ray moving to? Is he going back to Spin???

JP used to be news reader in past generation, but left and moved in with foley on nightime blast few years ago......Foley def isnt goin to spin, where did you get that idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

listowel1 wrote: »
    JP used to be news reader in past generation, but left and moved in with foley on nightime blast few years ago......Foley def isnt goin to spin, where did you get that idea?

I dunno, my post was 3 years ago so I dunno what I was thinking back then. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Ray is God's gift to Radio.
    To each his own.
    I never turn off his show with a frown.
    Me neither. I'm always delighted when I get to turn off his show. If the radio is tuned to today fm when I'm in the office, then changing station at 12.05 makes me very happy indeed.
    Listen to RTE Radio 1 and you're nearly guaranteed to be in a bad mood when the news is finished.

I realise the the news can be depressing, but it should be pointed out that Rté radio 1 doesn't actually invent the news, they just read it, so you shouldn't really consider your personal reaction to job losses and mortgage rate increases to be their fault.

(I'm not a fan.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

very very repetitive unfunny radio:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

marcra wrote: »
    Ray is one of the greatest DJs to ever grace the radio.Him and JP are different and that's what makes them the only radio show that i listen to.
    Instead of putting on an act of always being nice and cheerful,they act like any one of us would on a normal day.And they have the ability to make fun of themselves which is a great quality to have.
    So to finish,,Ray Foley is great! and LONG LAST THE BLAST!!!!!

It took you three years to post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Ray Foley is a very nice guy (yes, I've met him)... very down to earth, easy to get on with, friendly and honest.

He's also a talented jock and the envy of many a radio student, running a show that has a huge following and a very popular format - albeit a format which, I'm certain, he's a little tired of himself.

There are better things to come from Ray Foley, believe me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I intensely dislike Ray Foley and the show. The humour is a base, childish level. The "gags" are ripped straight from Chris Moyles and the music is pretty awful. Thankfully the show has been banned from my office since May of last year, when I broke the radio because I couldnt take it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's so funny. You broke it. Well done. Normally in an office if there is a monopoly on the radio you don't really have a say in what is put on. You broke the mould. :)

There is only so much of Ray Foley a person can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

I do like Ray, its one of the better shows on Irish radio, but it shamelessly rips off Radio1 in a big way. Anyone remember the legends that were Mark & Lard? Foleys show is such a rip off of that. They admit to being massive fans of them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'll be positive about him for a change.

The music isn't bad.

He is better than Nikki Hayes.

Better than RTE Radio 1 until Liveline comes on.

Overall he isn't great but he could be a lot worse. Chris Moyles comparisons are true on that front Tom Dunne is the new Ray D'Arcy. There are only so few formats in radio

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 211 ✭✭MickTipp

Ray Foley is brilliant!!
    he plays class music!

by the way, ann gleeson is a ledgend, why dont they have her on instead of Adele all the time??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

My favourite show on Irish radio today.

The Moyles jibe is such an easy, baseless one. Ray's biggest mistake was using the same guys who made jingles for Moyles...otherwise people wouldn't say a thing!

Here's the crux that most miss out on:

If Foley were ripping off Moyles...then he'd either have to be doing it via content or personality. He wouldn't be ON Today FM if he was doing the exact same features, so that throws that argument out of the window. And he wouldn't be able to do a 2 1/2 hour show, 5 days per week, if he wasn't able to do so through both his personality and that of those around him. So that pretty much kills the other side of the coin.

If you're going to say he's ripping someone off...then at least say he's doing it to the originator of the format, Howard Stern. Otherwise, I could just as easily say that Moyles (whose show I also love) is a Stern rip-off in many ways. But that would just be ridiculous.

Everyone in radio has influences. And when they first get into radio, they're automatically going to follow those influences as its obviously the kind of show they'd like to produce. Then they gain experience, learn lessons of their own, build a following that they have to cater towards, and develop their own style. Just as Foley and every successful DJ on the Irish airwaves have done.

He HAS got a Marmite personality: you either love or hate him. And his critics would sound a lot more credible if they came out and said, "I just can't stand the guy."

But saying that he rips off Moyles only makes them sound ignorant. As someone who appreciates both shows and listens to them religiously...no he doesn't. And obviously I'd be a lot more qualified to comment, as a listener, than someone who readily admits they don't listen. What the Moyles comment tells me is that all you've heard of Foley's show is his jingles, then you're making an unqualified, ignorant opinion based on that one factor alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

leggo wrote: »
    My favourite show on Irish radio today.

The Moyles jibe is such an easy, baseless one. Ray's biggest mistake was using the same guys who made jingles for Moyles...otherwise people wouldn't say a thing!

Here's the crux that most miss out on:

If Foley were ripping off Moyles...then he'd either have to be doing it via content or personality. He wouldn't be ON Today FM if he was doing the exact same features, so that throws that argument out of the window. And he wouldn't be able to do a 2 1/2 hour show, 5 days per week, if he wasn't able to do so through both his personality and that of those around him. So that pretty much kills the other side of the coin.

If you're going to say he's ripping someone off...then at least say he's doing it to the originator of the format, Howard Stern. Otherwise, I could just as easily say that Moyles (whose show I also love) is a Stern rip-off in many ways. But that would just be ridiculous.

Everyone in radio has influences. And when they first get into radio, they're automatically going to follow those influences as its obviously the kind of show they'd like to produce. Then they gain experience, learn lessons of their own, build a following that they have to cater towards, and develop their own style. Just as Foley and every successful DJ on the Irish airwaves have done.

He HAS got a Marmite personality: you either love or hate him. And his critics would sound a lot more credible if they came out and said, "I just can't stand the guy."

But saying that he rips off Moyles only makes them sound ignorant. As someone who appreciates both shows and listens to them religiously...no he doesn't. And obviously I'd be a lot more qualified to comment, as a listener, than someone who readily admits they don't listen. What the Moyles comment tells me is that all you've heard of Foley's show is his jingles, then you're making an unqualified, ignorant opinion based on that one factor alone.

I'll stand up and willingly say that I can't stand his programme. Sarcasm is not enough to base a two and a half hour programme on. And for a fella whos made it onto national radio hes got a very thin skin; he comes across like a little pompous Gerry Ryan waiting to happen. Or maybe another Ray D'arcy waiting to happen.

As for his sense of humour? I'm sure his production team are convinced that they've taken it to another level but they just come across as awful gimps tbh. The radio cliche of 'would you want to have a drink with these people' comes into play here; and the answer is you wouldn't. They all seem like awful people.

The Chris Moyles comparisons are tired; but he has taken a lot more than just the idea of a jingle package from Moyles in the past. Hes taken entire features. Thats not unusual for Ireland though,after all Gareth O Callaghan based his entire 2FM career on Steve Wright from the BBC!

I'd love to know if Ray actually has a proper producer, to me it sounds like hes fallen into the Gerry Ryan trap (surround yourself with sycophants who'll tell you everything you do is great!).

He also really seems to have gone off the boil in the last six months; whatever momentum the show had (especially after PPI wins and the whole Journey back in the charts thing) has been completely lost and hes been losing listeners hand over first in the last few JNLRs.

Despite this, I do geniunely believe that he has talent. Thats what annoys me about his show, he and the team seem to have become arrogant and complacent.

So, in order not to get into the same old Foley bashing, lets try to turn this thread into something positive. IF you're a Ray Foley fan what does he need to be doing in order to get his programme back on track?

For me, its go back to basics, and drop the other two 'presenters' on with him ... Ray is the star. They're the clingons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

What I fail to understand is how people can use the likes of G Ryan, Darcy...and Foley's gone the same route...as examples of poor radio?

They're some of the most successful broadcasters in the country!

Funnily enough, it was actually boards that got me into Foley. I saw the criticism of him and thought, "Ohhhh...Chris Moyles type show in Ireland? Gotta check this out..." And I loved it!

Unfortunately, online criticism of radio in Ireland is plagued by the same mantra that discredits 90% of online opinion in general, one that successful = bad. And, fortunately I might add, that kind of attitude doesn't cut it in the real world...because lord knows what we'd be left with if the begrudgers took over!

But Manimal, I will give you this much: fair play to you for actually providing a logical, coherent point together about why you don't like Foley. I wholly disagree, of course, but I can at least respect your opinion. A rare feat for a Foley-basher!

leggo wrote: »

But Manimal, I will give you this much: fair play to you for actually providing a logical, coherent point together about why you don't like Foley. I wholly disagree, of course, but I can at least respect your opinion. A rare feat for a Foley-basher!

Of course Ray Foley flag wavers are normally such well rounded informed intellectuals as opposed to 1st year Kevin Street culchie students who smoke grass and play Call of Duty till all hours of the morning :)

I'm not neccessarily a Foley hater (thought he had something good when he was on at night) but I now find him unlistenable. I think hes disappeared up its own arse over the last few month. When he started first he was doing something different in this country; now its the same old same old.

Maybe he has been a victim of his own success, and maybe its very difficult to keep that sort of format fresh (and thats why he should get a producer and not not some giggly fan-girl to make snide comments off mike all the time).

I'm going to mention Chris Moyles here but only in Rays favour! Moyles probably has 12 people working on his programme every single day; Ray will never have that advantage. Unless of course he goes to work for BBC Radio 1 but why should they take Cadet Cola when they've already got the real thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

years ago, i think it was on this fourm, i said i hated ray foley, that he was dull or something, but years later i have learned to love him.
    music is pretty cool, especialy with the lazy radio and the retro tunes, do miss the entertainment update though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

he's the "king" don't ye all know.. bring back phil cawley for lunch time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Saw this posted on the television forum,gave me a chuckle.:D Fair play that they actually brought the subject up.
    Awkward bit on Today FM Ray Foley's show today though. Somebody texted in asking if he'd seen Moyles on Who Do You Think You Are, and did he think they could be related... So funny

Im a listener of both Foley and Moyles, and while I definetly feel the resembalnce between the two goes beyond the jingle package, it's not necessairily a bad thing. If Moyle's audience figures are anything to go by, there is definetly the appetite for a Foyles brand of broadcasting in this country. The style of the Foley show is such that you either 'get' it or you don't.
    Moyles probably has 12 people working on his programme every single day; Ray will never have that advantage.

That maybe true but the vast bulk of classic material from the Moyles show is delivered off the cuff by the big guy himself. This is very apparent from several of the recent studio video's posted on the Radio1 site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Good god he's woeful. When he does the roll call and the other langer chimes in with "anseo" every day and then the retards texting in their "Ray I won't be in today because.........." and the ****tards who call in and finish with "oh and Ray....................Love the show !!!!" followed by hi-fives from Ray and the other clowns. The **** music, his inability to take criticism, his thinking that filling his slot with retro tv theme tunes is either original or entertaining....Everything about that show bugs the everloving jesus outta me. And yes Ray lovers I should just tune out. Which I do every day when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭subtle_as

does it really matter if Foley is similar to Chris Moyles? Foley saw a whole in Irish radio where nobody was doing something like Moyles and he has filled that void and fair play to him! I like 2fm and i like a lot of their presenters but if you listen to the station all day, the personalities don't alter that much which is a sad thing! i don't blame the presenters though, it is the higher echelons of rte radio that have enforced the more music policy which i feel has affected their output. if the presenters were allowed to show more personality, i think their listenership would improve!

If you listen to Moyles and Foley every day, which i do, yes there are some similarites but the shows are still different. I think a lot of people don't realise what Foley and co are doing, they have an on air persona which is MEANT TO BE arrogant, which is what Moyles does so yes the shows are similar in that sense. This is where the king thing comes from.

It is a style which cannot be found anywhere else on Irish radio and i think it works very well. if you listen to foley's podcasts, there are huge differences to the show that goes out on air because they don't play on the arrogance thing as much. it is fair for him to say that he is better than nikki hayes on 2fm cos his show is way better.

Also, people cannot really give off about the music cos the show is playlisted, he is told what to play!

I would bet that anybody who compares Foley to Moyles and have not listened to a full show of Moyles!

subtle_as wrote: »
    is where the king thing comes from.

It is a style which cannot be found anywhere else on Irish radio and i think it works very well. !

True, and its failing horribly for 'The King'. Its all well and good to push the arrogance if you are Chris Moyles or Howard Stern, but they had the ratings to back them up. Ray Foley doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Nightwish wrote: »
    I broke the radio because I couldnt take it anymore.

My kind of woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

The Chris Moyles comparisons are tired; but he has taken a lot more than just the idea of a jingle package from Moyles in the past. Hes taken entire features.

Like what?
    I'd love to know if Ray actually has a proper producer, to me it sounds like hes fallen into the Gerry Ryan trap (surround yourself with sycophants who'll tell you everything you do is great!).

Her name is Adelle. She's a good producer. She used to produce Ian Dempsey.
    He also really seems to have gone off the boil in the last six months; whatever momentum the show had (especially after PPI wins and the whole Journey back in the charts thing) has been completely lost and hes been losing listeners hand over first in the last few JNLRs.

Agreed. He has lost some of the POW! that he used to have, but I think he's slowly gaining it back.

So, in order not to get into the same old Foley bashing, lets try to turn this thread into something positive. IF you're a Ray Foley fan what does he need to be doing in order to get his programme back on track?

For me, its go back to basics, and drop the other two 'presenters' on with him ... Ray is the star. They're the clingons!

I don't think they should drop the other two. Just stop all this "KING OF AFTERNOONS BOLLIX", Play a bit more music and sit down and think of some really funny features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Fago_25 wrote: »
    Like what?

I don't think they should drop the other two. Just stop all this "KING OF AFTERNOONS BOLLIX", Play a bit more music and sit down and think of some really funny features.

King of afternoons=saviour of radio 1, in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭subtle_as

Manimal wrote: »
    ts all well and good to push the arrogance if you are Chris Moyles or Howard Stern, but they had the ratings to back them up. Ray Foley doesn't.

You're kind of missing the point of the whole arrogance thing. Moyles uses an on air persona doing his show, he plays a character to word it differently, much like Ricky Gervais does when he does his stand up or how Tommy Tiernan adopts a mad persona when he does his stand up.

Sorry for going off into Stand up there! Foley also adopts an on air persona presenting his show and it is one similar to Moyles, fair enough, but I don't see why people get so worked up about whether his show is like Moyles' or not? No one else in Ireland is doing it so why not do it? As has been said before, there is only so much you can do on radio. People don't seem to get the arrogance thing, which is why a lot people also don't like Moyles. If you understand what they are doing, then you'll enjoy the show a lot more. It's kind of taking the piss out of itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

i like the show. good craic IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I am a fan. Great show. Friday happy hour is an excellent new feature.

• Advertisement
Advertisement