Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ray Foley

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I simply don't like him. *shrug*

Not the worst thing broadcast,but far from the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

Nerin wrote: »
    I simply don't like him. *shrug*

Not the worst thing broadcast,but far from the best.

+1.

I personally don't get the shows humour. It's like it's trying too hard to be childish, wacky, zany and irreverent.

Undeniably popular, it would seem, but it's most definitely not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Favorite show on the radio by a country mile! Talk show that is. Dont like it when he plays the dance songs but thats a minor mishap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Apparently Adele has decided not to rejoin the show after she recovers from her recent car accident. JP is producing and Ann Gleeson is staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Havent listened to him in well over a year. Last time I did, it was probably the worst excuse for entertainment I'd heard in years. He came across as being a talentless gimp.

Has anything changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Foley is the King of Irish radio... plain & simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tonykinlan

flazio wrote: »
    Apparently Adele has decided not to rejoin the show after she recovers from her recent car accident. JP is producing and Ann Gleeson is staying.

Where did you get this information from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

fb_ccrs_smcrownlg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

I like the show. I think it's fun, easy to listen to and a blessed relief after being lectured to by D'arcy for the previous 3hours!

So what if he takes ideas from Chris Moyles, if you're going to take inspiration from someone it might as well be from one of the best!

Really like lazy radio on fridays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Tonykinlan wrote: »
    Where did you get this information from?

The Podcast. I think it was Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tonykinlan

The fact they said It while joking dosen't make a difference, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Hey Ray.... Love the show ;)

But seriously when will they give him the breakfast show? Best thing on radio by a mile when he's on form. Each to there own I say.. And he hasn't changed his style or format since I listened to him on Spin unlike other presenters who seem to change their style in order to keep their jobs.

As a nation we don't like change its as simple as that. The show is different and funny. We don't like moving into the grey at all. Keep it in the black plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 LuapSnobbig

Make Foley Taoiseach... Just a bita fun for your lunchtime nothing to Serious.... :D

No seriously.. The man is just so mad and Animated its class....He should have his own tv show...

King of Radio in Geneal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

ann gleeson is.........a breath of fresh air!haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

No seriously.. The man is just so mad and Animated its class....He should have his own tv show...

As much as I believe that most Ray Foley fans, when asked "well why do you think that the Foley show is so good, then?" would respond with a 4-year-old's "BECAUSE IT IS!!!... NYEAHHH!!!" style answer, for the lack of any intelligent answer - I am actually somewhat of a fan of his - while never really listening to the show.

Explaining that, I think he's excellent at his job, does the show that's expected of him - which is a show which, while not entirely my ... or possibly his own cup of tea - is one that he's known for and that pulls in the listeners - boosts his audience and thereby - perhaps - his ego..., but I honestly do think he has a lot more potential - to break beyond the confines of the formulaic show he's stuck in for now - a formula which is pretty well stale at this stage. Only time will tell there, I guess, if that's both what he wants to do and what he ultimately does.

All that said, I actually weirdly do believe that given the right opportunities, and working to the right formula, he could actually make the transition to television quite well.

Hrmmm... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Just listening to Foley,there getting ready to do a electric shock game, what are the odds that they decide to do it a couple of weeks after this feature from a certain UK based DJ...:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/videos/chrismoyles/video/090722_shock

Hey Ray...love the show:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

He also did the electric shock game in his 1st year on afternoons(2007) before Chris Moyles did.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ray love the show.

Edit: Wrong. Moyles did it before Foley did it.

Foley did it at Chrismas time, Moyles did it befor that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO-NTyrz7WY&feature=channel_page

Still love ya ray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭D-Boy

Dealt with him through work recently very rude and pig ignorant lad

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭subtle_as

Moyles did it within the last 2 weeks alrite, and foley did it today! But i do remember foley or darcy doing it before, as did moyles. if i remember correctly tho, foley mentioned that he heard moyles do it and thought it was funny so they said they were doing it!

regardless of wether they copied it or not, it was still funny radio which is not a bad thing by any means in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

Bard wrote: »
    I believe that most Ray Foley fans, when asked "well why do you think that the Foley show is so good, then?" would respond with a 4-year-old's "BECAUSE IT IS!!!... NYEAHHH!!!" style answer, for the lack of any intelligent answer

True. Additionally, there always seems to be an over reliance on catchphrases used in their defence of the show, as if the viral spread of his popularity depended solely on people regurgitating his oft repeated phrases at every given opportunity .

I don't actually think he annoys me half as much as his devotees do, tbh.

(but I still dislike his show. 'It's just a bit of changing the station for my lunchtime' , if I'm totally honest. )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Foleys show is lowest common denominator garbage. Really terrible "gags" and sh!te music.

His show is "The Irish Sun" of radio. Eugh.

Are we allowed to mention the hissy fit he threw on boards a while back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Foleys show is lowest common denominator garbage. Really terrible "gags" and sh!te music.

Oooh you better not, he'll probably sue you :rolleyes:

I don't like him, the second Ray D'Arcy is over I switch over fast in case he sneaks in early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

I've been listening to Foley for 4 or 5 years now. IMO one of the best DJs on Irish radio! Love the show!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

What was he on about yesterday with shredding bills and getting free stuff ??

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

bigkev49 wrote: »

Would love to hear this even in PM form

He said he was reading the forums the other night and was getting mad before he said the huge criticisers were just jealous but sure there you go.

Personally I like the show, bit too much unnecessary swearing on the podcast though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Matts

2fivers wrote: »
    True. Additionally, there always seems to be an over reliance on catchphrases used in their defence of the show, as if the viral spread of his popularity depended solely on people regurgitating his oft repeated phrases at every given opportunity .

I don't actually think he annoys me half as much as his devotees do, tbh.

Never a truer word spoken, it seems.
    Just a bita fun for your lunchtime nothing to Serious....
    liam7831 wrote: »
    Foley is the King
    King of Radio in Geneal!!
    alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Hey Ray...love the show
    Fago_25 wrote: »
    Ray love the show.
    Love the show!

You're allowed to actually think up your own words to use, y'know....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

"Ah, yeah, OK"

Boooooooooooooooooring.

That show is in serious need of a change of format. The guys are funny, but you could replay a show from 2 years ago & still have the same ould, same ould.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

A quick search of the feedback forum is all you'll need to do.

This thread isn't for discussion of the ban, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

In my view the jury's still out on Foley. He no doubt is feeling the heat with the listenership figures down, he is coming across as trying too hard. I have never heard the moyles show so dont know how acurate the comparasions between the shows is. To his advantage there is no proper competition from 2FM. I think there is someone in his ear the whole time he made a comment the other day about the powers that be saying they should talk more which i have noticed lately there seems to be less music being played. Foley and the other guy are definetly modeling themselves on the band 'Tenacious D', with Foley been Jack Black and 'JP' being 'KG'. Seems to be alienating people with his recession talk too, goin on and on about how they have to take a 10% pay cut.....interesting times ahead.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Marum88

He said he was reading the forums the other night and was getting mad before he said the huge criticisers were just jealous but sure there you go.

Personally I like the show, bit too much unnecessary swearing on the podcast though!
    Dudes

If you don't like him so much, change the flipping channel or do something productive with your day rather than moaning about a man for 3 years just because he has become a success in his job.

I love the show; it gives you witty antidotes and good music. If you're not into that than listen to some other monotonous dry ****e radio or just go read a book.

I mean the fact that you listen just to go on this website and bitch about him really says alot about your character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Just because someone doesn't like something, doesn't mean they're begrudging their success, it just means they think they're crap.

Lots of people don't have a choice on what station gets listened to in their workplace, so they're more than entitled to moan about it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

There was a great point I heard the other day...I think it was actually on his podcast.

Basically, they were saying that to provoke a reaction like this (and also the one's that the likes of G Ryan and Darcy do) you must be doing something right.

There are tons of generic Irish DJs out there, on big stations, who would kill to have a thread like this about them. Even including the criticism. But they go unnoticed because the work they're putting out there is so bland and forgettable.

Every great...in whatever field they're in...has a ton of critics and begrudgers out there. I mean, whenever someone comes on here saying, "These guys really need to do X and Y to fix the show" I have to laugh. They're playing their cards with those comments and showing themselves to be the jealous contingent. The guys who think they know all, but obviously their show-'saving' ideas didn't work at some stage elsewhere, so they'll try and stick it to people who are actually in the position they'd really like to be.

****, for every person who says Foley is a Moyles rip-off there's 5 people in the UK saying the same thing about Moyles. These people don't realise that the guy they hold up as god-like on boards gets the EXACT same treatment on the UK equivalents.

But nope, by all means, continue to criticise. Little do you realise you're actually cementing his legacy here by making up the numbers in the critics contingent and proving to his bosses that he can still keep the masses talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

leggo wrote: »
    There was a great point I heard the other day...I think it was actually on his podcast.

Basically, they were saying that to provoke a reaction like this (and also the one's that the likes of G Ryan and Darcy do) you must be doing something right.

There are tons of generic Irish DJs out there, on big stations, who would kill to have a thread like this about them. Even including the criticism. But they go unnoticed because the work they're putting out there is so bland and forgettable.

Every great...in whatever field they're in...has a ton of critics and begrudgers out there. I mean, whenever someone comes on here saying, "These guys really need to do X and Y to fix the show" I have to laugh. They're playing their cards with those comments and showing themselves to be the jealous contingent. The guys who think they know all, but obviously their show-'saving' ideas didn't work at some stage elsewhere, so they'll try and stick it to people who are actually in the position they'd really like to be.

****, for every person who says Foley is a Moyles rip-off there's 5 people in the UK saying the same thing about Moyles. These people don't realise that the guy they hold up as god-like on boards gets the EXACT same treatment on the UK equivalents.

But nope, by all means, continue to criticise. Little do you realise you're actually cementing his legacy here by making up the numbers in the critics contingent and proving to his bosses that he can still keep the masses talking.

That post proves how anything can be a positive these days. There is a difference in your Chris Moyles argument. He has a lot more competition than Ray Foley does and he is a huge success because of the millions of listeners he gets every morning. He has a lot more competition against different formats too. E.g Talksport and other BBC channels. This makes him a proven success.

In Foley's case he has less competition and by God its an easier market due to the likes of Eamon Keane and Nikki Hayes as some of his competition. There is nearly no point in changing the station till Duffy comes on really.

His is far from great listening IMO but I still prefer him to National and Regional (Western radio is the piss worst in the country by a long way).
    He has grown on me I guess over the Summer. His music choice is good considering that he can hardly be playing System of a Down at 1 in the afternoon.

Poeple do make strong claims when they say how poor his show is. I have to agree with most of the points.

Your point about him not listening to us "Jealous" folk who happen to have an opinion that isin't ''Foley is God" is a bit unfair. If he listened to some ideas, which I'm sure he is open to, it might improve his show.

Best of luck to him though. It is kinda sad to be saying that he is the best afternoon DJ and it shows how little alternative there is unless internet radio is available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Marum88 wrote: »
    Dudes

If you don't like him so much, change the flipping channel or do something productive with your day rather than moaning about a man for 3 years just because he has become a success in his job.

I love the show; it gives you witty antidotes and good music. If you're not into that than listen to some other monotonous dry ****e radio or just go read a book.

I mean the fact that you listen just to go on this website and bitch about him really says alot about your character.

Why are you quoting me here?

I love the show, think its funny relaxed and a great alternative to the rest on in Ireland and even France! I'm living in France and purposely go out of my way to have a bit of fun for my lunchtime!

I'm not bitching about him at all, I just am used to listening to the regular show and seem as how I'm new to the podcasts I reckon there is a tad too much swearing. But thats just my humble opinion. Still downloading it, still laughing.

Don't attack me certainly when I've done nothing wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

A 5th rate Chris Moyles and even Chris Moyles is ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Your point about him not listening to us "Jealous" folk who happen to have an opinion that isin't ''Foley is God" is a bit unfair. If he listened to some ideas, which I'm sure he is open to, it might improve his show.

I never said that if you don't think he's god that you're jealous. I think that's a weak argument when used without any kind of support.

As I said earlier in the thread, if those who disliked Foley just said "I think he's ****" then nobody could argue with them.

It's those who will CONSTANTLY post lambasting him for no good reason. I mean, go through this thread and see who's posted criticisms several times over the duration of it. Personally, if I don't enjoy listening to someone, I tend not to listen to them. If that's out of the question...I may have a moan about it once. But then I've got it out of my system and I'll move onto things I DO enjoy!

But when the same people go ON AND ON AND ON about how **** he is...it leaves me thinking "WHY are you constantly saying this?! Why do you go out of your way to have a problem with the guy?"

I also find it hilarious how so many people seem to be offering up ideas to 'save' the show. If anything, he's far more likely to get promoted when Dempsey quits the breakfast show than sacked anytime soon. So apart from a dip in listenership (which has happened to the best of them)...the show is far in need of 'saving'. Much less ideas from somebody that has no credentials whatsoever.

What this tells me about the people who are criticising is that, since they have all these 'masterplans', they obviously spend time thinking about what THEY'D do if they had a radio show. And since they consistently spend so much time bashing someone who is running one of Ireland's biggest and most successful radio shows (and his on-air persona is hardly humble in pointing that out)...

Well...2+2 really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm not saying he's a Moyles rip-off, I'm just saying he is sh!te. His show is bland, witless garbage. The only time I hear it is when I'm somewhere that the radio station is not my choice.

My biggest issue is that he represents the dumbing down of everything that is endemic in Ireland today, it's fcuking frustrating when you ask people if they heard a particular interview on the news and they say "No, but did you hear when Ray fcuking Foley made a fart noise and rang someone pretending to be someone else? It was claaasssss!!1!!1!!!1111 lol omg".

Tabloid radio for the masses, they are welcome to it, just don't let on that he is some kind of entertainment god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Dudes

People aren't moaning because he's sucessful, they're moaning because they don't like him, and think his radio show is poor, underdeveloped and lazy, as well as being almost totally dependent on childish lowest common denominator attempts at humour .

They people expressing these opinions felt a need to say what they think, just like you did:
    I mean the fact that you listen just to go on this website and bitch about him really says alot about your character

It should be notetd that this is your first post, so it goes without saying that not only did you 'just go on the website" to comment, but you actually went to the considerable trouble of registering to be able to go on this website, simply so YOU could bitch at & insult a bunch of people you don't know, just because they happen to dislike one of your favourite radio shows.

Bearing that in mind, I wouldn't go throwing around sarky comments about peoples motivation to post their opinions if I were you, TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm confused, i thought there was an injunction on discussion of Ray Foley around here?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

grenache wrote: »
    I'm confused, i thought there was an injunction on discussion of Ray Foley around here?!
    There was a ban for a long time. It's OK now though so all is well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Wikipedia

Ray is awesome

/thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

For what its worth ...........

Ray Foley is a gent , met him and hes such a nice down to earth guy !
    He is the king :D:D

His show is so funny and a great way to get tru the working day

oh and hey Ray .................Love the show :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

Ya he is a gent. Met him myself too. Great craic & genuine.

Is that true about Ann Gleeson taking over for Adelle??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Anybody know his listening figures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Austin 3:16

The Star says Foley is down 6% to 164,000. Think his ratings fell the last time round too, bring back Phil Cawley!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

oh and hey Ray .................Love the show :D:D:D:D:D:D

Never mind bannings for mentioning Ray Foley; I propose a ban for anyone who regurgitates this phrase.

Two bans and a kick in the shin with a pointy shoe if they do it "ironically".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Wikipedia

Ya he is a gent. Met him myself too. Great craic & genuine.

Is that true about Ann Gleeson taking over for Adelle??

No, Adelle was in a car crash apparently and she is attending physio and cant work, apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Ah he's not bad, but he's not as great as he lets on.
    The bloke that covered for Matt Cooper this week is the best thing on Today FM. His name plain escapes me now though! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭CarDriver

Anton Savage was on for Matt. He covers for Ray Darcy aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

If anything, he's far more likely to get promoted when Dempsey quits the breakfast show than sacked anytime soon. So apart from a dip in listenership (which has happened to the best of them)...the show is far in need of 'saving'. Much less ideas from somebody that has no credentials whatsoever.

Well...2+2 really...

do you genuinely believe that Today FM would give Ray the breakfast show? You poor deluded fan :)

And I've love to know how you can have five 'dips' in a row without it being considered a drop in the ratings dude. Last weeks 'We're in New York' ****e really cemented it for me. Its Tony Fenton/Gerry Ryan radio; the radio Ray would profess to despise yet hes now part of the problem instead of the solution. The Ray Foley of 3 years ago would've mocked at it, now they're jumping on the bandwagon as if they were RTE employees instead of working for Today FM!

Seriously, I'm not a hater. But someone needs to take control of that show and turn it back into something good. Its a shame to see a talent go down the Gerry Ryan road...

• Advertisement
Advertisement