Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Pug 106 Gti

Options
  • 17-02-2006 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Im in the market for a Peugeot 106 GTi 1.6 16v

Anything I should know about buying one - What to look out for etc?

Any help appreciated.......

Or indeed - if someone can recommend something similar for around €4K - €6K sporty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Don't know a whole lot about the 106. But being a Peugeot hot hatch I'd say you'll find it hard to get a good example that hasn't had the sh1t driven out of it, crashed, badly modded etc. Also when were the last 106 GTis sold here. I would have thought that even the newest ones are getting on a bit and therefore likely to have high mileage and/or be tatty.

As for alternatives, do you have any limitations on engine size. Because if you can't go above 1.6 you'll be pretty limited.

The Citroen Saxo is very similar to the 106, have you considered these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

Yes, the Saxo VTS seems to be a fair bit dearer and rarer than the 106 GTi.It's just I've heard great things about the 106 GTi and I think they look better. The limit is 1.6 im afraid, Im only 21

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how about a Starlet Glanza 1.3 Turbo. Reliable but overpriced. great resale though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

colm_mcm wrote:
    how about a Starlet Glanza 1.3 Turbo. Reliable but overpriced. great resale though

I doubt these cars are even in the same league.

The 106 is a cracker and worth holding out for a goodun (Considered going to the uk maybe ? ) .
    ( The Saxo is a cut price 106 and you'll defo find loads to choose from in uk )

I had a 106 xsi (pre gti 1.4) many years ago and except for lacking a bit of power it was an absolute cracker, and could easily frighten much bigger engined cars on the twisty bits.

Worth the wait imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

In one of Jeremy Clarksons videos they tested a load of cars to find the best handling car and the 106 GTI came second after a ferrari but beating porsche 911 turbo, bugatti, BMW M3 etc. I had one myself and have to say it was a ball to drive. Throw it into any corner and put the power down, the grip and stability was amazing, I think they were still manufacturing them up till 2003 but the best bet is to look in the UK. Have you checked up on insurance because I had to have a full license and be 25 before I could get mine in 2000?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just spotted this one:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=346085

It looks pretty original bar the exaust. A bit pricey for an 8 year one though.

The best place though is probably up North or in the UK where they are more common and better chance of picking up an unmodified one cheaper.

The usual things apply to watch for on these cars. Check the body work, suspension and steering for signs of damage as by nature these car could have seen the wrong side of a ditch. Also have any modifications checked out as alot of these can be DIY or cheap jobs that can do more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

The 106 GTI is one of the best cars to drive apparently. I'm surprised at 21 you can get insurance on it to be honest. Something like the 1.6 DOHC Integra would also be a decent drive. Theres a 1.3cc 106 Rallye but thats probably rarer and older at this stage. Meant to be even better to drive than the GTi. Theres a 1.6 Rallye too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

tut who mentioned a glanza? awfull looking cars

Drove a 00 106 gti for a day once was a hell of a car, had engine and exhaust etc.. mods that took the bhp from the original 120 to 143, was some speed out of it, getting out from a turn in heavy but flowing traffic was so easy and the noise that came from the exhaust was sweet.

insurance for me (22 male, 1 year ncb, full licence) is only 100euro more than a 75bhp 1.4 focus, although the focus is valued more.

as for buying on, i'd definatly recommend you look up north, that one i was driving was a 00 northern reg and was going for €4000, had 84k miles on it but had loads of extras, but interior needed a bit of work.

i'd say for €6000 you should get a very nice car but vrt would be on top of that. £3500 - £4000 seems to be the going price for a 99 - 00 one in the UK.

let me know how you get on, i was looking for one of these but couldnt find a decent one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Nice one here for sale in Monaghan....looks very cheap for an '02
    Sorry missed the " full GTi replica,"

fletch wrote:
    Nice one here for sale in Monaghan....looks very cheap for an '02
    Sorry missed the " full GTi replica,"

hehe yeh I got ver excited about seeing that before seeing the replica bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Head to the UK - loads over there, some 1 lady owner etc - nearly all the ones over here will have been ragged.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Have you considered the Suzuki Vitara JLX, a Tigra or Puma

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

draffodx wrote:
    ....Drove a 00 106 gti for a day once was a hell of a car, had engine and exhaust etc.. mods that took the bhp from the original 120 to 143, was some speed out of it, getting out from a turn in heavy but flowing traffic was so easy and the noise that came from the exhaust was sweet.

insurance for me (22 male, 1 year ncb, full licence) is only 100euro more than a 75bhp 1.4 focus, although the focus is valued more.

Unlikely if the mods were declared I bet.

Unlikely if the mods were declared I bet.

oh yeh sorry should have been clearer on that, that insurance quote was for the standard non modified 120bhp version, still plenty of power in it as standard though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

Once you have a full licence you'll insure a 106 GTI no bother. Go to england to get one, there are loads for good money.

ninty9er wrote:
    Have you considered the Suzuki Vitara JLX, a Tigra or Puma

Ok the Puma is a great drive too, but a tigra or Suzuki Vitara as an alternative to a 106GTI ?

Are you just naming out car names you know?

RobAMerc wrote:
    Ok the Puma is a great drive too, but a tigra or Suzuki Vitara as an alternative to a 106GTI ?

Are you just naming out car names you know?

used to drive a vitara for work and it was the worst thing i have ever driven, never felt safe in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭akw_old

colm_mcm wrote:

why would he buy that. its a ****ing rotten car.

106 gti is slick but its very small, if your anyway near 6ft in height you might find it cramped. as for tigra's and puma's they look like girls cars.

a modified 306 would be nice also, if you wanna stick to peugeot.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

"Toyota Glanza GT Turbo, but 1.3 on the logbook".

Anyone notice this scam before? Off topic I know but it annoys me, and endangers the innocent.

"Toyota Glanza GT Turbo, but 1.3 on the logbook".

Anyone notice this scam before? Off topic I know but it annoys me, and endangers the innocent.

How does it endanger the innoncent?:confused:

• Advertisement

ronoc wrote:
    How does it endanger the innoncent?:confused:

No valid insurance.

mmmm didnt want to go the UK or the North to get one - just seems too much hassle with the travelling, vrt, etc. Im buying in 3 weeks and I want to drive it straight away so Im not arsing around. I've been looking at the various sites at gti's and there seems to be a few around in decent enough nick.

Insurance is 2,900 third party, provisional licensce which is not too bad.

With regards GT Starlet's, I dont like them and they seem to be all wrecked or driven to bits - I think an impor twould probably be ideal in that instance but Im hooked on the Pug 106. I like the look of it. Im only 5' 10 so the size of it shouldnt be a problem.

Any know of any garages etc(apart from websites) that have gti's - would be appreciated.

As a side note - what would the VRT be on a gti bought in the north?

As a side note - what would the VRT be on a gti bought in the north?

Have a look here:
    https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT

Should work out about same as down here with the car in better nick.

Your certainly on the right track with the 106 the Galanza are for lads who like to go fast in a straight line and mow down hedges :) imho

Thanks RobAMerc but that VRT calculator doesnt seem to wanna work for pug's. I think i'v been coaxed into looking up the north - thanks for all the advice here - I will report back with pics and price of what I bought.

If there's anything else anyone wishes to add that I should look out for when buying a 106/car in general :-) it would be much appreciated

Advertisement