Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICO or Shadow of the Colossus

Options
  • 17-02-2006 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

I plan on getting these soon but is there any advantage of playing one over the other first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think you should play them sequentially, even though SotC isn't a direct sequel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd hardly call SotC a sequel to ICO. There are some similarities but on real substantial links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Depends on what you prefer. Ico is sort of like the first Tomb Raider - atmospheric, puzzly, platforming.

SotC isn't very like anything I've ever played. It has the platforming aspect.. but the environments are huge like San Andreas. But empty. I haven't had enough time to form some strong opinions on it.

All I know is Ico should not be missed. Atmosphere and animation are stunning. And the gameplay mechanics really help you connect with the characters making the ending ten times more dramatic than it would be others.

note: that's coming from someone who hates RPG's. I usually hammer the X button to get past storylines. Ico is the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i would play ico first

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I'd hardly call SotC a sequel to ICO. There are some similarities but on real substantial links.

i thought it was a prequel, the ending with the baby and the horns?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

anyone notice this tho?
    the 2nd colossus has horns like ico, with one snapped off?
    Could be a coincidence, but i choose not to believe that :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's one of many theories blitzkrieg. There's no solid evidence and the creator is denying it as well. All there are are similarities but there are enough for a few theories to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

To be brutally honest, id play Shadow of Colossus first... it seems that its an amazing game but ICO is a little more life consuming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ico first, differently paced though, both beautiful however, I do have a bunch of private theories about the saga, perhaps better posted when I actually finished SOTC.

Maybe you should draw the pleasure out a bit and pause for a time between games? Play something else and then take on SOTC, perhaps a bit of Katamari me-thinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

I bought both yesterday and have decided to play through Ico first, purely because it was released first. I've only had about half an hour on it, but it look stunning so far. I'm very happy about finally getting to play it, as I almost threw €80 at eBay a couple of months back, but decided it was a silly amount of money for an old video game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Has anyone played ICO on a high definition tv?

The game is looking very very blurry to me. It always looked much sharper in screen shots, its still stunning but it can actually be difficult to play at some times because I just can't see, I think it's upscaling to my HDTV thats causing the problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

How you hooked up? RGB SCART or composite?

Best picture you'll get out of a ps2 is with rgb scart, and as a 360 owner, im sure you'll still find it blurry.

Hooked up by RGB SCART, maybe it is just that I've gotten used to the 360 now.

Anyway, about 5 hours into Ico and I'm starting to wonder what all the fuss is about. I do love the atmosphere and the animation and behavious of Yorda in particular is incredibly well done. But aside from that it's just a series of box pushing platform jumping puzzles that I've done so many times in so many other games before. It's not that it's a bad game, think I just read too many over-hyped reviews. I've yet to complete a puzzle in Ico and think to myself 'yea that was good thinking', but I guess there's time for it to improve. The atmosphere does keep you going.

tbh if youre 6 hours into it and not enjoying it, chances are youre never gonna enjoy it. I clocked it at 7-8 hours, so youre not too far off the end.
    However the ending is all worth it. You just have to let yourself get immersed in the atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

I went into my local extravision about 20 mins ago to get both these games. The guy at the till said they are not out till 2moro i thought they were out now:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

They are out, they obviously hav'nt arrived at your local xtra-vision yet.

Xtravision? Seriously, i wouldnt bother my hole. They never have anything on release day. Maybe in a month or two youll get it in xtravision, stick with dedicated game stores.

Well Shadow of the Colossus has gotten the better of me.

Bought both games together, got home, started playing ICO and all was well. It was beautiful and drew me in completely. But a few hours later the puzzles weren't getting any more interesting and SOTC was just sitting there begging to be played, making me want to rush through ICO and hurting my enjoyment really.

So I've given in, ICO is on hold now and I'm playing SOTC. And so far I absolutely love it. 5 Colossi down and every one of them has been incredible. Amazing music, very atmospheric, and the Colossi are simply breath taking. Most importantly, what differenciates it from ICO for me, is that the gameplay is both challenging and original. Best game I've played in a long time.

Advertisement