Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Came Out To My Whole Class!!!

Options
  • 17-02-2006 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Last night I had my pre-debs with my year. I had a great night but I got a bit drunk and when I'm drunk I spill the beans! We were getting in to a conversation and people started asking me have I ever gone out with any girl, fancied any and I told the whole truth that I'm gay. Strange enough, every one was really nice about it and supportive but they were all a bit drunk / tipsy. I just fear that the rumour will spread like a bush-fire around the school and some people will start mocking me over it and that those people who were supportive of me might be quite different when they're sober. EEK! :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

What ever honey! been there done that in like second year! Don't mean to piss on your parade and all.... and yes it will spread around the school don't be so naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Don't mean to piss on your parade and all..

Then don't. Someone comes here needing reassurance and that's the best you can offer?

UU - ok, being entirely honest, telling everyone when you're drunk? Maybe not the best of plans, but hey, who hasn't done it? So just look at the positives here - they were supportive last night, and alcohol tends to make people say what they're actually thinking, so with any luck they won't be any different tomorrow. And yeah, it'll spread around the school, but if the vast majority of your class was supportive already, they're going to stay that way. Just ignore people who are twats about it and focus on the people who are actually worth your while worrying about.

I just dont' see what the big deal is....you came out so what?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

hey UU
    I wouldn't worry about it, the fact is it will prbably be a bit of a novelty for a while but I really don't think most people under the age of thrity have great issues with homosexuality these days. Just be yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Riveta wrote:
    What ever honey! been there done that in like second year! Don't mean to piss on your parade and all.... and yes it will spread around the school don't be so naive.

Constructive post. :rolleyes:

OP best of luck!

• Advertisement

Dingatron wrote:
    Constructive post. :rolleyes:

OP best of luck!
    Ya sarcasim lowest form of wit... I was merely telling the guy to cop on and get on with it. They were going to find out eventually...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well tbh, I had somewhat the same reaction myself. This (in my opinion) is more blog stuff, than thread stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Riveta wrote:
    I just dont' see what the big deal is....you came out so what?!

There's plenty of other forums you can be an asshole in. Try one.

BuffyBot wrote:
    Well tbh, I had somewhat the same reaction myself. This (in my opinion) is more blog stuff, than thread stuff..

Ever wonder why a young kid like UU has to turn to a forum full of chip-on-shoulder gasbags to figure himself out? Maybe it's because there are fck all else places for him and 1000s like him. If what people can say here to him can actually be of assistance to him then great. Read the charter for what this place is about. If you don't like the blog-like dear diary style use the ignore feature. I can be found on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ever wonder why a young kid like UU has to turn to a forum full of chip-on-shoulder gasbags to figure himself out?

Rarely, if ever. But anyway, I'm saying it's blog stuff coupled with some of his other postings on here. While I'm sure he's a lovely guy, I'm not sure we need to know everything about how his life is conducted every couple of threads. Plenty of support can be found by having a blog and putting it all there for everyone to see, should they want.
    Maybe it's because there are fck all else places for him and 1000s like him.

Actually, there are quite a few. Beside the point though.
    If you don't like the blog-like dear diary style use the ignore feature. I can be found on it too.

Meh. I don't care enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Congrats UU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

UU wrote:
    Last night I had my pre-debs with my year. I had a great night but I got a bit drunk and when I'm drunk I spill the beans! We were getting in to a conversation and people started asking me have I ever gone out with any girl, fancied any and I told the whole truth that I'm gay. Strange enough, every one was really nice about it and supportive but they were all a bit drunk / tipsy. I just fear that the rumour will spread like a bush-fire around the school and some people will start mocking me over it and that those people who were supportive of me might be quite different when they're sober. EEK! :eek:

Well don't worry m8, its your last year i take it since it is your debs? Think of Uni, every uni has a LGB society of sorts, at ours they throw the best parties out of all the other socs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

BuffyBot wrote:
    Rarely, if ever. But anyway, I'm saying it's blog stuff coupled with some of his other postings on here. While I'm sure he's a lovely guy, I'm not sure we need to know everything about how his life is conducted every couple of threads. Plenty of support can be found by having a blog and putting it all there for everyone to see, should they want.

Don't hijack someone's thread to have this discussion. Start a new thread somewhere relevant, like Feedback perhaps.

Rivetta banned for a week btw.

Anyway, back on topic. Congratulations UU. I hope things go well for you next time you're in school.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

UU wrote:

Congrats... You're real friends wont be mocking you and those who do aren't worth worrying about IMO... You should feel relieved.. Its out in the open now :) that has to be a weight off your mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Thanks everyone for the support (except for Riveta for being so rude! :mad: ) . I suppose it's the fact I was drunk which makes it all seem worse than it really is. I've always kept to myself with a few close friends and now everyone is going to be whispering about me and all. I just hate it! :(

The fact of the matter is, it's me! If it were somebody else, people wouldn't care about it as much but I have some strange ability to be popular like one of them fellows that everyone knows and sees around the place. I just hate attracting this sort of attention that I'm homosexual to myself but I will have to deal with it. I suppose I fear the unknown - I really don't know what the outcome will be. All I know is I am not taking rubbish, bigotry or crap from anybody else. If somebody has a problem that is theirs and not mine. I have friends and family who support me. :)

Thanks to most of you for being so nice and reassuring. I am very grateful. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Congratz UU
    Welcome to the wonderfull world of people who give a damn and complete drama queens and bitchy inadequates......... hmm.......not such a different world really is it? ;);)

Good on'ya anyways kiddo :)

Congratz UU
    Welcome to the wonderfull world of people who give a damn and complete drama queens and bitchy inadequates......... hmm.......not such a different world really is it? ;);)

Good on'ya anyways kiddo :)
    Ok thanks FranknFurter! I'll try not to give a damn anymore then! ;) Why does everyone seem to think I'm a kid? I am 18, don't ya know? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

UU wrote:

Well done, whatever anybody else tells you, this was a significant step to take in your life, it is important and it will effect how you live the rest of your life, to come extent.

As for why you're called a kid, it's cause damien is old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ixion

UU wrote:

congrats UU, i just hope it doesnt blow up in yer face now... im sure it wont. i wish i had had your courage in secondary school. ;)

UU wrote:
    Why does everyone seem to think I'm a kid? I am 18, don't ya know?

Moridin and Ixoy will call off the hunt then. What does one wear after moving on from pampers? Shorts isn't it? And then long pants?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭vanessa

ye get a pre debs now? god im getting old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ixion

i only done my leaving two years ago and we didnt get a pre debs... no fair

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

UU wrote:
    Last night I had my pre-debs with my year. I had a great night but I got a bit drunk and when I'm drunk I spill the beans! ! :eek:

Ha-ha, trust you to do it that way. Well done on taking such a significant step. It does not matter what others think. What does matter is that now you are happy and can freely-explore this side of your character. Enjoy you`re new found freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

May I ask what a pre-debs is?

Anyway, UU, you are better off now. I was like you in school (keeping myself to myself) and I took an "F-them" attitude. Try it. The great thing about school is that after, you never have to see any of them again.

Incidentally I never came out in school, but at my debs people came up to me and congratulated me for being gay. Which was mildly amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

May I ask what a pre-debs is?

You go out to a club or somewhere in a non-formal way with everyone from your school and their dates a few months before the actual debs. Means you don't go into your own debs having no clue who half the people are. Also, a good excuse for drinking.

Everyone is totally cool about it now! Nobody has mentioned any of it but my friend overheard a conversation between some lads and they were impressed and congratulating my bravery for coming out!

It's great to be in a liberal and tolerant environment. I deeply thank and respect the gay people who had it much harder than me as I didn't realise how lucky I am up until now. It was them who fought most of the battles for gay rights in Ireland. Thank you so much - I really mean it with all my heart. :D You never know but there might be Civil Partnerships like in UK by the time I'm 30! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

UU wrote:
    Everyone is totally cool about it now! Nobody has mentioned any of it but my friend overheard a conversation between some lads and they were impressed and congratulating my bravery for coming out!

It's great to be in a liberal and tolerant environment. I deeply thank and respect the gay people who had it much harder than me as I didn't realise how lucky I am up until now. It was them who fought most of the battles for gay rights in Ireland. Thank you so much - I really mean it with all my heart. :D You never know but there might be Civil Partnerships like in UK by the time I'm 30! ;)

You're only starting, there'll be bad times as well as good, arseholes as well as saints.

UU wrote:
    You never know but there might be Civil Partnerships like in UK by the time I'm 30! ;)

We're working on it ;)

damien.m wrote:
    We're working on it ;)
    With a chisel and hammer! Lol! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement