Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Gridlock . . . in a car park

• 17-02-2006 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/7420525?view=Eircomnet
    Gridlock . . . in a car park
    Friday, 17th February, 2006

HUNDREDS of frustrated - and latterly claustrophobic - motorists found themselves virtual prisoners of a major city centre car park last night.

Shoppers and other users of the newly-merged Royal College of Surgeons/St Stephen's Green facility in Dublin's city centre were trapped in their cars for up to two hours.

One frustrated motorist said it appeared that the installation of a new traffic light near the Mercer Street exit of the car park was the reason for the inordinate tailbacks. "This is a complete farce," he said.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Ireland - never failing to surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've seen gridlock caused by traffic in a car park!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yup... its early in the morning and the carpark is fairly empty from the 3rd floor up.

BUT

Theres some moron waiting on the first floor for an old lady to come out of another parking place so he can park. He waits EVEN THOUGH YOU CAN SEE TONNES OF PLACES ON THE NEXT FLOOR.

My god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I wonder does anyone actually consider the impact of traffic lights.

Anyone been through Maynooth recently? Turning left onto the Straffan Road from the town center,going towards the M4, they now have 4 sets of traffic lights in less than 1km. Last week was utter chaos, in fact it was so bad, I now see they have covered up the traffic lights at the Glenroayal shopping center, two weeks after they were switched on!

The exit from Straffan Lodge has no lights, yet 50m up the road, new lights were installed at the Lidl store. Now, I am no town planner, but surely someone would have thought of moving the Lidl exit up and the Straffan Lodge exit down to meet and share a set of lights? Now you have a massive build up at Straffan Lodge with cars trying to get to the M4. Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

TfL are currently experimenting with removng certain lights to see if traffic moves better. We all know of junctions that could possibly benefit. More use needs to be made of mini-roundabouts IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Victor wrote:

Highlights once again the total incompetence of Dublin City Councils Traffic Engineering Muppets

Bee

P.S. How can we have them sacked for idiocy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You know traffic lights are bad enough, roundabouts are also horrible sometimes BUT combine them and you have idiocy.

How many times i have been stuck at roundabouts with lights causing tailbacks.. then one day the lights are out and traffic flows perfectly... i mean seriously is there something i am not seeing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

None of this makes sense, why block off roads, narrow roads, put lights everywhere, make roads oneway, and generally cause gridlock. Then do studies/work about improving gridlock?

You can't do both.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

I had a look the other day and [edit] no new traffic aspect etc has been added to the traffic lights at the exit to the car park or on the roads leading away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its a piece of fluff from the Indo, I only added it so people can laugh (more) at the Indo and people who congest car-parls.
    Traffic wrote:
    I had a look the other day and new new traffic aspect etc has been added to the traffic lights at the exit to the car park or on the roads leading away
    Do you mean "and no new traffic aspect"?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

Yes Victor, cheers that should of stated that:

no new signal aspect had been added

I should read me posts in future

And yes what a piece of fluff of an article!

Advertisement